Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:38 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,554,538 times

Advertisements

From the article:

Quote:
The study has limitations. The data depended on self-reports about what people ate, which are not always reliable, and the analyzed studies used varying methods for collecting the diet information. The researchers also relied on a single measurement of egg and dietary cholesterol consumption, even though diets can change over time.
I find self-reporting studies to be the most problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,372,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In my mid 20s I gained a lot of weight and so I went to the doctor and had bloodwork done. My cholesterol numbers were pretty bad for my age. So my doctor asked about my diet.

I was eating about 2 dozen eggs a week, pizza, beer, salad, cheese enchiladas, potato chips, french fries, and a whole lot of other assorted garbage.

My doctor said, "Stop eating eggs, for god's sake, and add more of those salads to your diet!"

10 years later, back to my normal weight, in fact more physically fit than I had been since my teens, I went to the doctor and had bloodwork done. Cholesterol normal, good cholesterol high, great VO2, low body fat, everything stellar. So my doctor asked about my diet.

I was eating about 2 dozen eggs a week, a mix of raw and cooked vegetables, beef, fish, and chicken, the occasional pizza and beer.

My doctor said, "Stop eating eggs for god's sake, and add more salads to your diet!"
Doctors are often brainwashed into some mythology or other. The eggs are bad mythology just keeps hanging on.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:18 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,321,223 times
I LOVE eggs and will always eat them. Sometimes several days a week, 2 at a time.

They DO NOT effect my cholesterol.... BUT CARBS DO!!!!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,372,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I LOVE eggs and will always eat them. Sometimes several days a week, 2 at a time.

Yes, carbohydrates are the problem, not cholesterol. Avoiding cholesterol in food doesn't make sense, and lowering cholesterol with drugs doesn't make sense. But that is still what is being recommended.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM

9,232 posts, read 10,989,923 times
Aspirin good! Aspirin bad!

After doctors said for decades that a daily 75 to 100 milligrams of aspirin could prevent cardiovascular problems, the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association just reversed that idea. This change comes after a large clinical trial found a daily low-dose aspirin had no effect on prolonging life in healthy, elderly people, and actually suggested the pills could be linked to major hemorrhages.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...DxuP7q9KXC3NM/

Two legs bad! Four legs good!
Four legs good! Two legs better!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 AM

1,621 posts, read 1,336,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes, carbohydrates are the problem, not cholesterol. Avoiding cholesterol in food doesn't make sense, and lowering cholesterol with drugs doesn't make sense. But that is still what is being recommended.
My point exactly.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:37 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,483,889 times
Consumption of one egg per day increases serum lutein and zeaxanthin concentrations in older adults without altering serum lipid and lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations.

link1

Improves visual-spatial reasoning, cognitive performance, and memory in older adults.

link2

Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,031,831 times
The study didn't find that eggs are bad for you. It found that eating too many may increase your risk of heart disease. Just because something is good for you doesn't mean that more is better. Eating too much of any one thing is not good for you.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,125,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I grew up on pasta and breads and I now think it probably did a lot of damage I live with including a lot of dental work, arthritis and maybe even higher blood pressure....been reading a lot of posts here lately with a lot of new info. Don't worry about the eggs, read a lot of the comments in this thread.

Growing up we didn't eat by the books and internet, we ate what was on the table.
So true, jaminhealth!! I probably did a lot of damage, too eating breads, rolls, pancakes, waffles, and of course, spaghetti, macaroni, and I loved every minute of it but we did just eat what was put on the table, we didn't have the Internet back then, but most of the food we ate seemed filling and satisfying and that was important. I didn't dare tell my mom I didn't want to eat something because what's on for dinner, take it or leave it

Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,659,072 times
Another study funded by...guess who. It has gotten to the point where these studies have little to no credibility.
I urge all to eat free range organic eggs for good health. I strongly urge all to avoid at all costs all processed foods. Processed food - the stuff in the boxes with ingredients you can't pronounce. The frozen dinners are no better. If you don't know how to cook....learn. Don't have time....make time.
Limit fast food. Yes it is more expensive in the short run, but considering the cost of medical intervention it is a darn good investment especially when it comes to your children.

I would worry far more about the water coming out of your tap than eggs. I urge all to invest in a filtration system even if it is only something like a Zero Water pitcher.

Our bodies were intended to eat natural foods not the crap that comes from the industrial food manufacturers. All good things in moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness