Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I. I for one would rather die of a heart failure than to have a bleeding stomach.
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Taking a low-dose aspirin daily to prevent a heart attack or stroke is no longer recommended for adults age 70 or over, according to new guidelines released Sunday...
For those at low risk, which has always made sense IMO.

Those at high risk its still recommended, I believe.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:23 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Taking a low-dose aspirin daily to prevent a heart attack or stroke is no longer recommended for adults age 70 or over, according to new guidelines released Sunday.
The American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association reversed previous guidance that recommended adults over the age of 50 take a baby aspirin a day to prevent cardiovascular problems.

My GP took me off that (daily baby aspirin as prevention) three or maybe four years ago, citing research with the same conclusions.

Perhaps he was privy to early research for these particular groups (ACC and AHA) or these groups are late to the game. I was under the impression that this was already common practice, after talking with a handful of others whose doctors had done the same in recent years (other docs, not mine),

Old 03-20-2019, 10:24 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Our nephew who is completing his PharmD at one of the top pharmacy schools in the nation told us to stop taking the low-dose aspirin about two years ago.

According to him, the risk of brain bleeds outweighed any benefits.

Said to exercise, eat healthy, and keep an eye on our blood pressure and cholesterol.

So far, so good.
Actually, from what I'm reading on Medscape and similar sites, the risk is for GI bleeding.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually, from what I'm reading on Medscape and similar sites, the risk is for GI bleeding.
Perhaps I got confused on the bleeding location, but he was quite clear that the risks outweighed the benefits.

He did say to keep aspirin on hand in case of a heart attack. Apparently, taking it while you having a heart attack is beneficial.

But once again, that was two years ago. Don't know what the latest recommendation is.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:45 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Perhaps I got confused on the bleeding location, but he was quite clear that the risks outweighed the benefits.

He did say to keep aspirin on hand in case of a heart attack. Apparently, taking it while you having a heart attack is beneficial.

But once again, that was two years ago. Don't know what the latest recommendation is.

I think that's the idea, ie, risks of taking a low dose aspirin daily outweighing benefits for healthy people at low risk of a coronary or thrombotic event. Apparently (as I discovered last year) it's not that difficult to develop a GI bleed from taking NSAIDS, or maybe some people are just more susceptible to these.

Seems that in the event of a possible heart attack, or acute coronary syndrome, chewing non-enteric coated aspirin (seem to recall it might be two full strength aspirin) is recommended. In this case the benefits in preventing or at least mitigating a tbrombotic event in a coronary would greatly outweigh the risks of bleeding.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:07 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think that's the idea, ie, risks of taking a low dose aspirin daily outweighing benefits for healthy people at low risk of a coronary or thrombotic event. Apparently (as I discovered last year) it's not that difficult to develop a GI bleed from taking NSAIDS, or maybe some people are just more susceptible to these.

Seems that in the event of a possible heart attack, or acute coronary syndrome, chewing non-enteric coated aspirin (seem to recall it might be two full strength aspirin) is recommended. In this case the benefits in preventing or at least mitigating a tbrombotic event in a coronary would greatly outweigh the risks of bleeding.

You've got the rational right: long term risk of bleeding is greater than the improvement in risk for future heart attack.

In regards taking aspirin in the event of an acute heart attack-- unless you've got certain contra-indications to taking ASA at all, you're probably not gunna bleed from one lousy baby aspirin-- but taking ASA immediately with chest pain only improves the outcome of an MI by about 1 in 50 cases-- another example of medical BS that has become ingrained in our thinking thanks to lawyers and greedy , egotistical researchers. Aspirin For Major Heart Attack (STEMI) – TheNNTTheNNT

Old 03-21-2019, 06:26 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
I took a low dose of aspirin for years and developed ulcerative colitis. Ever since I quit taking it, no more UC.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
It seems this is like so many other drugs and treatments, the studies contradict themselves: should we take baby aspirin? Should we take Statin drugs? Should we have colonoscopies? How about salt, and on and on. I think the best thing any of us can do at this stage is depend on our doctor's advise. I know that is what I am doing. I did stop taking baby aspirin but mainly because I just kept forgetting.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It seems this is like so many other drugs and treatments, the studies contradict themselves: should we take baby aspirin? Should we take Statin drugs? Should we have colonoscopies? How about salt, and on and on. I think the best thing any of us can do at this stage is depend on our doctor's advise. I know that is what I am doing. I did stop taking baby aspirin but mainly because I just kept forgetting.
Not to comment on you directly nmnita but more generally....
I believe at least part of the issue arises from the necessarily limited scope of any research. Individual studies and even meta-analyses have difficulty looking at effects relative to multiple diseases, multiple causes and effects while also controlling for other factors.

I don't need to take aspirin for heart issues or clotting...however, aspirin still appears to have an anti-inflammatory effect that seems to reduce at least some forms of cancer.

Physiology and pathophysiology are very complicated - that should go without saying. Eggs are very nutritious - does that mean they must minimize ALL forms of disease while maximizing ALL health factors? That's impossible to ask of any single food, nutrient, or drug. It is only the sum of all negatives and positives or at least the ones most relevant to an individual's health situation that can determine whether it is advised for them personally.

We want easy answers - there are none. That doesn't mean we shouldn't study the effects and report on what is found - while properly paying heed to limitations and caveats. But, it's much easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater and say all science is hogwash and that those "crazy researchers have changed their minds again" - untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness