Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:38 PM

496 posts, read 445,324 times

Advertisements

Once in a while I get these what I guess are tension headaches. Not at the front of the head. It feels like it's at the back of my head and I get pain in my neck and shoulders too when it happens. I used to get them about once a week at least, but now it's rare.

They often occur at the end of the day. I used to get them on Mondays and I figured it was from being back at work and sitting at the computer all day. Usually it takes longer to fall asleep because of the pain behind my head.

Yesterday I got one toward the end of the day at work. It was a busy day and I attributed that to it. I just could NOT get to sleep last night. I put some cream on my neck and shoulders since it helps sometimes, but nothing worked. I kept trying every sleeping position possible. Usually when I get these, I can't get my mind to shut off so I can go to sleep. It's like a hamster on a wheel all night. And last night was no exception.

When I get these I also have pain in my eyes like I've been looking at a bright screen for too long. Behind my ears also gets tender and last night I even felt moist earwax in my hears which I haven't noticed, but when I get these it does feel like my ears are clogged or need to be popped.

I think I slept an hour last night at most. I felt fine this morning so I thought it was over. But I went to the gym this afternoon and when I got to the second workout, I suddenly got this terrible pain at the front of my head. It was so bad I had to stop working out.

That's the part that concerns me, because that has never happened before.

Partly I wonder if this is allergies, and last night when I was in bed I sneezed very violently which hadn't happened in a while. Strangely, despite it being a cold night, I felt really hot also, but not sweating.

Sometimes when I get these I find what helps is to run my fingers through my hair and massage the scalp. I also try to make chewing motions to open the ears (kind of like chewing gum on a plane to pop the ears).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 01:46 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,932,848 times
I don't mean to be rude, but you should go see a doctor (or a chiropractor or acupuncturist, but probably an MD first, to rule out anything really serious).

I don't know what you have, but your guess that it is related to working in front of a PC makes sense. Issues with your neck and shoulders can create all sorts of problems elsewhere in your head.

Some of what you describes sounds like it could be allergies, or even some sort of infection. I wouldn't necessarily assume all these symptoms that are happening together are necessarily due to the same cause.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
OP: Some nice gentle to moderate bodywork could help a lot. Chiro or D.O.'s can help us a lot. Or treat yourself to some theraputic massages. I did all of this work thru my long life.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:26 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Once in a while I get these what I guess are tension headaches. Not at the front of the head. It feels like it's at the back of my head and I get pain in my neck and shoulders too when it happens. I used to get them about once a week at least, but now it's rare.

They often occur at the end of the day. I used to get them on Mondays and I figured it was from being back at work and sitting at the computer all day. Usually it takes longer to fall asleep because of the pain behind my head.

Yesterday I got one toward the end of the day at work. It was a busy day and I attributed that to it. I just could NOT get to sleep last night. I put some cream on my neck and shoulders since it helps sometimes, but nothing worked. I kept trying every sleeping position possible. Usually when I get these, I can't get my mind to shut off so I can go to sleep. It's like a hamster on a wheel all night. And last night was no exception.

When I get these I also have pain in my eyes like I've been looking at a bright screen for too long. Behind my ears also gets tender and last night I even felt moist earwax in my hears which I haven't noticed, but when I get these it does feel like my ears are clogged or need to be popped.

I think I slept an hour last night at most. I felt fine this morning so I thought it was over. But I went to the gym this afternoon and when I got to the second workout, I suddenly got this terrible pain at the front of my head. It was so bad I had to stop working out.

That's the part that concerns me, because that has never happened before.

Partly I wonder if this is allergies, and last night when I was in bed I sneezed very violently which hadn't happened in a while. Strangely, despite it being a cold night, I felt really hot also, but not sweating.

Sometimes when I get these I find what helps is to run my fingers through my hair and massage the scalp. I also try to make chewing motions to open the ears (kind of like chewing gum on a plane to pop the ears).
Most of this sounds like tension to me. I've felt many of the same symptoms over my career. Some jobs were more stressful than others so the symptoms would occur more or less. Once I started paying attention it was pretty obvious.

You are unconsciously tensing all the muscles in your neck, scalp, shoulders and back (and yes, the muscles in your scalp can create sensations in your ears...and they are connected to your sinuses) while you are rigidly focused on work. You mention not being able to turn your mind off to sleep...well, that's more evidence that you are spending a lot of time tensed up and stressed out and don't know how to manage it.

Your posture, chair, angle of your workstation screen, and how little you move around can all play into it. Ergonomics are a "thing" you can do research about. There are many subtle ways to adjust your workspace, your posture, and your habits to prevent eyestrain, repetitive motion injuries, and tension head and backaches. There are many ways to wind yourself down mentally and physically so you relax before bed too.

The "allergy" thing may be purely coincidental, not connected. If it was allergy-related you would probably be sneezing and sniffling every day during some specific time of year. Or, when you are more preoccupied with work your house gets dustier and messier because you aren't taking the time and energy to clean.

A little test to try: on days you DON'T work (such as weekends), do you end up having the same symptoms?

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-23-2019 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,540 times
Migraines

Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
It sounds like a tension headache. I would go for a massage, or use a TENS machine, hot compress, or whatever to see if it helps.

Also, the headache that move to the front could be unrelated and be a sinus issue, that can affect your ears.

For months my teeth ached and I thought it was a dental problem... turned out to be my sinuses.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-23-2019, 08:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 13,320,341 times
There is no way anyone here can answer that question.

You need to be examined by your PCP

I am sure that there will be some here who TRY to act like a Dr and answer, but without being seen by a MD, they can't

Last edited by mike1003; 03-23-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There is no way anyone here can answer that question.

You need to be examined by your PCP

I am sure that there will be some here who TRY to act loke a Dr and answer, but without being seen by a MD, they can't
You talkin' to me? lol

Sure a doctor appt. is good, but I think the OP should go through some due diligence first. If I went to my doctor with a headache and didn't try anything first, she would just send me home to try the things I listed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Sounds like tension headaches. Caffeine is a good remedy for these. Excederin Migraine is very effective if you take them at the very beginning of your headache.If you don't catch it in its early stages they are hard to treat.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You talkin' to me? lol

Sure a doctor appt. is good, but I think the OP should go through some due diligence first. If I went to my doctor with a headache and didn't try anything first, she would just send me home to try the things I listed.
If it is a tension headache, it is just as related to the OP’s eyes and there is not much a PCP is going to do. I had tension headaches for years due to an eye disorder and many people get them from blue light or just because they are getting older and their glasses prescription needs to be updated or they need readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness