U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 PM

18,698 posts, read 23,246,614 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through Sheena. I hope everything turns out ok. I don't have any advice because I cannot relate. Feel better soon. let us know what the doctor said.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 PM

9,473 posts, read 8,072,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I had that at 13. I am not positive, but I don't think you can get it twice, although I am aware that the virus, the same as Epstein-Barr virus stays with you.

I was MUCH worse when I had mono. I don't even remember 2 months out of my life. I literally slept the whole time. I was totally out of it.
I just looked up mononucleosis. Mayo Clinic’s site says “Most people have it only once, but the symptoms may recur months or even years later. Most cases of mononucleosis are caused by infection with the Epsrein-Barr virus (EBV).”

Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 AM

20,789 posts, read 26,082,997 times
I won't know anything until Monday. It will be a long weekend.

I just booked a massage and some kind of salt treatment that sounds interesting.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,120,653 times
Quote:
....I *think* the preferred antidepressant for fibro is Cymbalta. But, I don't take that either....
Please read up on Cymbalta if you are prescribed this drug. I was on it for years and had many awful side effects. I weaned off of it over 2 years and still have issues from taking it. Many people can take this drug successfully, but a lot have major problems with it.

Good luck finding out what is going on with you!

Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,593,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Please read up on Cymbalta if you are prescribed this drug. I was on it for years and had many awful side effects. I weaned off of it over 2 years and still have issues from taking it. Many people can take this drug successfully, but a lot have major problems with it.

Good luck finding out what is going on with you!
When I was first given the FM dx, I joined a support group at our local hospital and many talked about the drugs they were taking and Cymbalta was one of them. I never touched any of them and in time became disenchanted with the group as most were taking drugs. There were others like myself but mostly pharma controlled.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:40 PM

5,608 posts, read 4,027,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
When I was first given the FM dx, I joined a support group at our local hospital and many talked about the drugs they were taking and Cymbalta was one of them. I never touched any of them and in time became disenchanted with the group as most were taking drugs. There were others like myself but mostly pharma controlled.

I like what you wrote. It seems anytime you tell a doctor something, there is a pill for it.

For many years I've been told I have high cholesterol and triglycerides. Was prescribed a statin and had problems after taking it. Told my doctor, he prescribed another statin, same reaction (pain). And this went on a few times until the doctor said to stop taking it. Several years no pills. Continued with high numbers. Then I switched doctors (for a different reason). Had the blood work done with the new doctor, same high numbers. She wanted to prescribe pills, I refused, telling her why. Pain with every one of them.

Recently had another blood work and numbers were pretty high and she called to say there was a new medicine that did not have whatever the statins have in them. Would I be willing to try them. So I said OK, picked the med up at the pharmacy. I am to take 4 pills a day. Two in the morning, two in the evening. Can't take them within 4 hours of any other med I take. The side effects listed on the paper that came with the med are a long list and not pleasant.

So this is the 2nd day, feeling OK. But then I just started them. If I start to have side effects, you can bet I won't take the med anymore. I'm starting to think the med would kill me before the high numbers did.
The new med is Colesevelam, I take 625mg in each pill.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:46 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,593,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I like what you wrote. It seems anytime you tell a doctor something, there is a pill for it.

For many years I've been told I have high cholesterol and triglycerides. Was prescribed a statin and had problems after taking it. Told my doctor, he prescribed another statin, same reaction (pain). And this went on a few times until the doctor said to stop taking it. Several years no pills. Continued with high numbers. Then I switched doctors (for a different reason). Had the blood work done with the new doctor, same high numbers. She wanted to prescribe pills, I refused, telling her why. Pain with every one of them.

Recently had another blood work and numbers were pretty high and she called to say there was a new medicine that did not have whatever the statins have in them. Would I be willing to try them. So I said OK, picked the med up at the pharmacy. I am to take 4 pills a day. Two in the morning, two in the evening. Can't take them within 4 hours of any other med I take. The side effects listed on the paper that came with the med are a long list and not pleasant.

So this is the 2nd day, feeling OK. But then I just started them. If I start to have side effects, you can bet I won't take the med anymore. I'm starting to think the med would kill me before the high numbers did.
The new med is Colesevelam, I take 625mg in each pill.
We're going a little OT, but first of all I'm not fearful of that so called cholesterol issue. We've talked about that so much here and one can find it all over the net too, just do some Dr. Google searches. One of my integrative MD's years ago got off the chol issue and for me as I am aging started to test homocysteine and you can check that out too. I stopped the western MD's years ago as I did not want to take their drugs. The whole industry is so twisted I believe. I don't know what your MD's are telling you is High, but they are so much brainwashed by pharma drug world. Wish this were not the case, but it is.

And yes, I'd take a drug if it were really to save my life, but otherwise...there is so much for us to learn out there. And, of course, I will always question WHY every one of their drugs come with side effects, in all their wisdom can't they do better.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:01 PM

7,984 posts, read 3,697,499 times
Quote:
I won't know anything until Monday. It will be a long weekend.

I just booked a massage and some kind of salt treatment that sounds interesting.
Why so long for your labs? I would be a nervous wreck! Do they have a patient portal? Usually it’s not recommended for patients to look up results before their appointment but you’re an RN ... so am I & I hack into my stuff all the time! Or I order my own PRN.

That’s supposed to be a HIPAA thing: patient access.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 10,125,391 times
Just got back from the dog park. Was talking with a sweet friend who was diagnosed with lupus last week. Her symptoms sound similar. I hope things go well for you.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:15 PM

30,493 posts, read 32,905,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And yes, I'd take a drug if it were really to save my life ...
Statins do save lives.

Anything you take can have side effects, including supplements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness