Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,659,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Hopefully your doctor will order a blood panel to see what is really going on. I would just wait for the results before spending money on vitamins and supplements. You can do that after when you can take the proper ones.
If the weather allows, the OP can try to get out and get some sun if the weather is acceptable. That is a nice, free way to up the vitamin D. I went on vacation in early March and was feeling pretty awful beforehand and after my vacation (where I was outside most of the time even though it was cloudy/rainy), I generally felt a lot better. It is amazing what being outside can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,809,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
If the weather allows, the OP can try to get out and get some sun if the weather is acceptable. That is a nice, free way to up the vitamin D. I went on vacation in early March and was feeling pretty awful beforehand and after my vacation (where I was outside most of the time even though it was cloudy/rainy), I generally felt a lot better. It is amazing what being outside can do.
That is true. She can get a nice dose of D if the sun is out.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:20 AM

37,085 posts, read 41,208,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is true. She can get a nice dose of D if the sun is out.
That depends on where she lives. In the north during the winter it may not be possible.

Vitamin D blood levels can be measured and a supplement taken if a deficiency is confirmed.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,048 times
How old are you? Could it be perimenopause?
If not I'm thinking of the lack of D or depression.
Thyroid or MS is always worth checking out.

If you are an anxious person then it could be mental. Anxiety can really do a number of symptoms with no real cause.

I hope for the best, let us know what the doctor says. If it's Vit D deficiency don't forget to take some mag with it to avoid heart palps.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
FIRST - I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday. I have that covered.

Here are my symptoms -

1. Daytime sleep. Sometimes 12 or more hours per day.

2. Most alert in the evening.

3 Lately, I've been awakening at around 3 to 4.

4. When I am awake at night, I am lethargic and almost limp. I have no energy. I could sleep more.

5. The cold really effects me.

6. By March, I am usually worn out by winter.

7. It's very cloudy wear I live. Sunshine is rare in winter.

8. I am also sensitive to heat. When everyone else seems to think the temperature - inside or out is tolerable, I am either HOT or COLD.

9. I want to wake up - I try to fight daytime sleeping, but I almost feel that waking up is impossible.

10 This has been getting worse and getting more debilitating since late January.

Any vitamins to recommend? The only thing I can think of is terrifying.

Thank you.
sounds like winter depression to me or whatever. Let us know what the doctor has to say. Depending on your age I am sure it could be many things. Winter, btw is lasting a little longer than usual. I know what you March. I know for us, we are usually wearing a few spring cloths by now, but most of us are still in sweat shirts or long sleeved sweaters and no thought of bringing out those wonderful summer cloths.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:33 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,000,063 times
I have had SAD depression sneak up on my in the winter if I am inside and not getting any sun.

It took me a while to understand why I had a "bleak outlook" because I
have never had depression issues. It makes everything seem pointless and saps your motivation and
affects sleep. One good dose of sunshine would change my outlook.

They make "happy lights " and I would recommend using one in the morning.
Very easy to sit near you while you have your morning coffee.

Get out in the car as much as possible even it is too cold to go outside. The sunlight
that your eyes see makes it better, so it doesn't have to be on your skin (I think)

Check Vit D levels, I think I read that 40% of women have low levels. I felt better after
I got mine higher.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,659,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That depends on where she lives. In the north during the winter it may not be possible.

Vitamin D blood levels can be measured and a supplement taken if a deficiency is confirmed.
We are talking about now, where it has basically been the equinox all over the globe just last week. There will be some sun everywhere, even up north. Obviously if she gets SAD this will need to be addressed for the future, but for the immediate future, she can address it by getting some sun since it should be sunny roughly half the day.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,716,763 times
Sure sounds like Winter Blues to me. I live in So. Calif and we've had the Worst cold winter in decades and a few days here and there NOW of 70+ temps and I feel like my old self. OP says about moving to FL, if that can be achieved, why not. Take good care and people have talked about those light boxes and of course the Vit D3/K2.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,745,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have long thought that I could suffer from SADD. Does SADD get worse as you get older? Generally, I have noticed that I am worse in LATE winter, early Spring. Is that part of SADD?

Short of moving to FL (I am thinking about it) what can I do now? Yes. I get depressed in the winter. But the hypersomnolense is new this year. When I finally awaken, I feel even more depressed.

Does this sound like the early stages of any deadly illness to anyone?
I moved from New England to SoCal, it went away.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 PM

37,085 posts, read 41,208,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
We are talking about now, where it has basically been the equinox all over the globe just last week. There will be some sun everywhere, even up north. Obviously if she gets SAD this will need to be addressed for the future, but for the immediate future, she can address it by getting some sun since it should be sunny roughly half the day.
My post addressed a comment about vitamin D, not SAD.

OP lives in Ohio. Even on a sunny day in the northern latitudes you may not make enough vitamin D.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...more-vitamin-d

"Under the right circumstances, 10 to 15 minutes of sun on the arms and legs a few times a week can generate nearly all the vitamin D we need. Unfortunately, the "right circumstances" are elusive: the season, the time of day, where you live, cloud cover, and even pollution affect the amount of UVB that reaches your skin."

"Except during the summer months, the skin makes little if any vitamin D from the sun at latitudes above 37 degrees north."

Ohio is well north of that.

Fortunately, vitamin D can be measured in the blood and a deficiency diagnosed, if it exists. Then supplementation is indicated.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-25-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness