U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM

67,736 posts, read 63,239,654 times

Advertisements

Thyroid is the first thing I thought of, sheena12. Agree with everyone else to get the blood tests as a first step.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 PM

1,393 posts, read 852,789 times
I thought the same thing others thought. I had the same symptoms. Just KNEW something was wrong. Went to Dr. and said something's wrong... blood tests showed hypothyroid and B12 deficiency. I was given a big syringe of B12 and put on OTC B12 for a while. When my thyroid was treated my B12 never went down again. It's common to have those both together.

I know I have a bit of SAD too. A few walks in the sun help. I was bad when I lived in a cloudy state.

Go get tested and treated! You deserve to feel better than you do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 PM

8,582 posts, read 14,432,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

How can I readjust my circadian rhythms? Does anyone have a link to this?
I have battled insomnia for many years so I have learned a few tricks that helps with my sleep and
circadian rhythm.

Colder bedroom, no caffeine after noon, more sunlight early in the day, more exercise , blue light blocking glasses for computer after about 10pm, melatonin supplements at night.

Sunlight early and blue blocking glasses for night screen time were the biggest things that helped me.
So if you use a SAD light use it early.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 PM

20,831 posts, read 26,151,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I thought the same thing others thought. I had the same symptoms. Just KNEW something was wrong. Went to Dr. and said something's wrong... blood tests showed hypothyroid and B12 deficiency. I was given a big syringe of B12 and put on OTC B12 for a while. When my thyroid was treated my B12 never went down again. It's common to have those both together.

I know I have a bit of SAD too. A few walks in the sun help. I was bad when I lived in a cloudy state.

Go get tested and treated! You deserve to feel better than you do.
Did the B12 help?

I've always had SAD. But not this bad. Not that it effected my sleeping. I have never needed to nap. Or have had INSOMNIA to this extent. When I finally get to sleep, it's dawn. I have slept through 10PM.

I went out yesterday and I feel soooo tired from it.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You have fibro too?
Yes. I just don't mention it very much. I am not big on support groups. I just try to handle it on my own. I try to be with positive people who make me laugh, rather than people who exchange maladies and aches and pains. That's why I haven't mentioned it on C-D.

THIS thing is new, and I am thinking of all of the WORST things that this could be. My mother died of cancer at a much younger age than I am now. So did both of my aunts, maternal and paternal.

I have a friend who survived leukemia (seven years, so far, and a former boyfriend later a friend, who passed of non-Hodgekin's lymphoma at 49.
I am also an inactive RN, so my mind runs wild with horrible possibilities.

So, I am scared.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 PM

2,694 posts, read 6,927,138 times
Like my primary care doctor said,I can see you from the outside but not the inside,he does what I call a hail mary blood test,expensive but covers everything from A-Z twice a year,I am 85.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have battled insomnia for many years so I have learned a few tricks that helps with my sleep and
circadian rhythm.

Colder bedroom, no caffeine after noon, more sunlight early in the day, more exercise , blue light blocking glasses for computer after about 10pm, melatonin supplements at night.

Sunlight early and blue blocking glasses for night screen time were the biggest things that helped me.
So if you use a SAD light use it early.
Thanks! I think I need to invest in a SAD light. I don't have one. Any suggestions?

I always keep my bedroom cool - winter and summer. There is NO sunshine early in the morning. Days in winter start over cast, and frequently stay that way.

I hardly ever drink coffee because it is mucus producing. I may have coffee a few times per year - ONLY in the AM. Iced coffee doesn't bother me in Summer, strangely enough.
I drink herbal tea mostly. Never after noon.

Blue blocking glasses? I need to look into those. Never heard of them.

I'm probably not communicating the degree of lethargy that I am currently experiencing, because exercise is something that has been impossible for me, in my current state. I am a gym member, but I have not been to a class since January. I can hardly wake up. I nap through out the day. Yesterday I left the house and I just fell in bed after returning home. I literally feel limp.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 PM

My husband picked up "Nutragold Vitamin D 3 Gold". They told him it was very bio-available.

I just have a strong feeling that something isn't right. I'll know soon enough.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 PM

13,707 posts, read 26,424,001 times
OP, I'm a 35 year old man, and I have pretty much what you describe in your OP.

My doctor diagnosed me as hypothyroid a couple of years ago, and I take one pill a day for it (in the morning). I also supplement with several other things including Vitamin D and B-Complex at his suggestion. Since I've started all of this, I feel "better", but not "better". Meaning, I still feel those ways, but not as bad as I did before that appointment.

I can easily sleep 10+ hours per day and feel like I need more after I get up. I feel best after the sun goes down, and feel mostly well as long as it's dark. I'm more sensitive to cold than I've ever been, but the heat doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did when I was younger. I feel worst during the afternoon, say from 1pm until 5pm, and especially when I drive during that block of time, I feel like I can't focus, and feel a combination of sad/depressed and ADD (it's hard to explain). I've also gained about 30 lbs over the last 4 years (I'm huge anyway, 6'7").

I live at altitude, in a VERY SUNNY place overall, but the clouds tend to come in....you guessed it, in the afternoon. I have also wondered if the altitude might play a role (in my case). For example, when I visited Phoenix last summer, I had none of these symptoms. I could have jumped up in the air and clapped my feet together. And to be honest, in my case, I don't really notice the symptoms anywhere else that's not high, and if I do, they are comparatively mild. Also, I don't necessarily think it's the cloudiness (I spent a month in Seattle at the end of last year and felt fine the entire time), but I have found a new affinity for bright sunshine (that I didn't have before).

I've found that exercising (during any time of the day) makes me feel a ton better, the symptoms mostly go away on days I do. Even just walking.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:09 PM

8,582 posts, read 14,432,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thanks! I think I need to invest in a SAD light. I don't have one. Any suggestions?

I always keep my bedroom cool - winter and summer. There is NO sunshine early in the morning. Days in winter start over cast, and frequently stay that way.

I hardly ever drink coffee because it is mucus producing. I may have coffee a few times per year - ONLY in the AM. Iced coffee doesn't bother me in Summer, strangely enough.
I drink herbal tea mostly. Never after noon.

Blue blocking glasses? I need to look into those. Never heard of them.

I'm probably not communicating the degree of lethargy that I am currently experiencing, because exercise is something that has been impossible for me, in my current state. I am a gym member, but I have not been to a class since January. I can hardly wake up. I nap through out the day. Yesterday I left the house and I just fell in bed after returning home. I literally feel limp.
The light therapy light I use isn't available anymore on Amazon. It wasn't very expensive.
Maybe like $25. I will look for one similar for you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness