Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 04:02 AM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times

Advertisements

FIRST - I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday. I have that covered.

Here are my symptoms -

1. Daytime sleep. Sometimes 12 or more hours per day.

2. Most alert in the evening.

3 Lately, I've been awakening at around 3 to 4.

4. When I am awake at night, I am lethargic and almost limp. I have no energy. I could sleep more.

5. The cold really effects me.

6. By March, I am usually worn out by winter.

7. It's very cloudy wear I live. Sunshine is rare in winter.

8. I am also sensitive to heat. When everyone else seems to think the temperature - inside or out is tolerable, I am either HOT or COLD.

9. I want to wake up - I try to fight daytime sleeping, but I almost feel that waking up is impossible.

10 This has been getting worse and getting more debilitating since late January.

Any vitamins to recommend? The only thing I can think of is terrifying.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:07 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,047,330 times
Check out SADD and lack of enough Vitamin D3 and see if you relate

Old 03-25-2019, 04:35 AM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Check out SADD and lack of enough Vitamin D3 and see if you relate
I have long thought that I could suffer from SADD. Does SADD get worse as you get older? Generally, I have noticed that I am worse in LATE winter, early Spring. Is that part of SADD?

Short of moving to FL (I am thinking about it) what can I do now? Yes. I get depressed in the winter. But the hypersomnolense is new this year. When I finally awaken, I feel even more depressed.

Does this sound like the early stages of any deadly illness to anyone?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,573,700 times
You might have a related vitamin deficiency like vitamin D due to lack of sun. By early spring you would feel even worse because you still haven’t gotten any sunlight.

Another option is a thyroid problem, as cold sensitivity and lethargy are signs of hashimlto’s or hypothyroid. Luckily that is easy to manage.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,002,671 times
I wonder if the fact that it's worse in late winter/early spring is due to the long winter? I've noticed my own SAD (what does the second D stand for?) gets worse as the winter drags on. It's been a very tough winter for the husband and myself, and we are really looking forward to the warmer temps and sunnier skies!

There are lamps you can buy to help with SAD. Thanks for the D3 recommendation - just ordered some!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM

9,718 posts, read 7,543,347 times
I have SAD and used to live in Ohio. Sounds silly but I would go to the tanning salon every Friday during the gray depressing winter season. The bright light helped. That was years ago, now I live in a sunnier locale.

It's very important that you get real vitamin D from the sun, especially in the morning and that you get more natural light from the sun than from unnatural sources.

Read up on Circadian rhythms. I follow a regimen that has really helped me. Morning sunshine in my eyes, eat breakfast early, eat dinner before dark, no late night snacks, turn off indoor lights at night and minimize computer/phone screen time. You are basically retraining your body to get back on the right schedule. I sleep a solid 8 hours plus every night now and wake up without an alarm.

Hope your appointment goes well, you definitely want to rule out anything more serious.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 AM

48,272 posts, read 34,402,478 times
I would look into thyroid or SAD to start with. I know your diet is very good. Please keep us updated.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-25-2019, 08:43 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,698,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have long thought that I could suffer from SADD. Does SADD get worse as you get older? Generally, I have noticed that I am worse in LATE winter, early Spring. Is that part of SADD?

Short of moving to FL (I am thinking about it) what can I do now? Yes. I get depressed in the winter. But the hypersomnolense is new this year. When I finally awaken, I feel even more depressed.

Does this sound like the early stages of any deadly illness to anyone?

No not deadly. But maybe moved from SAD to true depression.
See your family MD for discussion....and possible referral for a mental health appt.

Low Vit D can increase depression symptoms, I know from experience.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,550,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Any vitamins to recommend? The only thing I can think of is terrifying.

A good quality D3 supplement is extremely important if you aren't getting enough sun. Also, make sure you are getting enough B vitamins/full B complex. Iodine is very important as well and I would say go the natural route through a healthy seaweed product.

Given what you described above, I would also look into adrenal fatigue. There are a lot of natural remedies to combat this.......

Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,761,366 times
Hopefully your doctor will order a blood panel to see what is really going on. I would just wait for the results before spending money on vitamins and supplements. You can do that after when you can take the proper ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness