Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I take that to mean you would refuse to use a transgender person's preferred name.

This, you see, is the lack of community support that is one of the stressors that increases the risk of suicide in transgender persons.

By refusing to use preferred pronouns you are contributing to the stressors that increase the risk of suicide in transgender persons. Why deliberately say something that you know will be hurtful?
If hearing a word puts someone at risk for suicide, they need psychiatric help. Why deliberately deny that they are mentally ill? Recognize the illness and get them help.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The suicide rate is not 40%. That is suicide attempts, of which only about 4% are successful.

Your whole thesis has fallen apart.
I'll play along.

Under your premise, it is absolutely perfectly normal, totally healthy for 40% of a population to try to kill themselves.

Got it. Makes perfect sense. /faceplant/

Old 04-08-2019, 01:32 PM

60 posts, read 50,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Transgenderism is a mental condition, not biological. Children should not be treated surgically or with drugs at all, since the majority will beome comfortable with their biological sexuality in time, whether gay or straight.
Hate to tell you this but there is a medical condition called Klinefelter Syndrome or called 47XXY.
These people have an extra X chromosome and is biological.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
Hate to tell you this but there is a medical condition called Klinefelter Syndrome or called 47XXY.
And there are people who are born with 12 fingers. I can't imagine anyone suddenly running around yelling that 12-fingered is normal.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:39 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
Klinefelter syndrome has nothing to do with being transgender. The vast majority of people with Klinefelter are both male in appearance and consider themselves male.

Last edited by saibot; 04-08-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 02:01 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If hearing a word puts someone at risk for suicide, they need psychiatric help. Why deliberately deny that they are mentally ill? Recognize the illness and get them help.
You just do not understand, do you? The refusal to use the person's preferred name is just a symptom of failure of the family, friends, coworkers, and people in the school environment to support a transgendered person. The problem is lack of support, not the misuse of the name per se.

If someone is verbally and physically abused mental health "help" is of limited use.

Is a victim of domestic abuse mentally ill? Just "recognize the illness and get them help"? Do nothing to stop the abuse?

Quote:
I'll play along.

Under your premise, it is absolutely perfectly normal, totally healthy for 40% of a population to try to kill themselves.

Got it. Makes perfect sense. /faceplant/
I never said it was normal or healthy. It is less likely to happen in an environment in which a transgender person is supported and respected.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.24c30c3b23e3

"A suicide note posted on Leelah Alcorn’s Tumblr page in 2014 before the transgender girl took her own life attracted global attention. Calls went out to make good on the 17-year-old’s own declaration: 'The only way I will rest in peace is if one day transgender people aren’t treated the way I was, they’re treated like humans, with valid feelings and human rights.'”

Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You just do not understand, do you? The refusal to use the person's preferred name is just a symptom of failure of the family, friends, coworkers, and people in the school environment to support a transgendered person. The problem is lack of support, not the misuse of the name per se.

I never said it was normal or healthy. It is less likely to happen in an environment in which a transgender person is supported and respected.
Deflecting mental illness by blaming others is ridiculous. ANd you've done it AGAIN.

Now, it's not the name PER SE, but everyone else around them that caused them to kill themselves. Because of the failure of friends? Good gawd -- You've moved the goal post again. It's really mindblowing.

The act of suicide is on the person who commits it. No one else. Ya know why? Because it's a sign of MENTAL ILLNESS.

And yes, you have been attempting again and again to say that they are NOT mentally ill. You've dragged up 100 different statistics that have NOTHING TO DO with this conversation to move the goal post to try try try so hard to support your view that the TG population is mentally healthy that it is mind boggling.

The argument that mentally healthy people kill themselves has been futile, and in fact the lack of evidence, the moving of the goal post with every post to try to stretch evidence so it fits, and the inability to admit what you clearly believe has weakened your position tremendously.

They are mentally ill. Healthy people do not kill themselves over words. Being called a name? Is not abuse. There is absolutely no way around that FACT.

really curious to see where the goal post will be next post.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:24 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I suspect that some males want to be female because they love the idea of wearing makeup and women's clothes and jewelry. And I suspect that some females want to be male because they want some kind of military or technical career. Surgery is NOT required for that!!
I suspect that people want and DO a lot of the things you mention without wanting or needing medical intervention. I don't think for a second that those with such superficial desires are seriously considering surgery! And do you honestly think that all you have to do is go to a surgeon, say "I wanna switch" and poof it happens?

Old 04-08-2019, 02:43 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Deflecting mental illness by blaming others is ridiculous. ANd you've done it AGAIN.

Now, it's not the name PER SE, but everyone else around them that caused them to kill themselves. Because of the failure of friends? Good gawd -- You've moved the goal post again. It's really mindblowing.

The act of suicide is on the person who commits it. No one else. Ya know why? Because it's a sign of MENTAL ILLNESS.

And yes, you have been attempting again and again to say that they are NOT mentally ill. You've dragged up 100 different statistics that have NOTHING TO DO with this conversation to move the goal post to try try try so hard to support your view that the TG population is mentally healthy that it is mind boggling.

The argument that mentally healthy people kill themselves has been futile, and in fact the lack of evidence, the moving of the goal post with every post to try to stretch evidence so it fits, and the inability to admit what you clearly believe has weakened your position tremendously.

They are mentally ill. Healthy people do not kill themselves over words. Being called a name? Is not abuse. There is absolutely no way around that FACT.

really curious to see where the goal post will be next post.
All you have is your opinion without any evidence to back it up.

People with attitudes like yours are part of the reason transgender people attempt suicide.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 PM

3,323 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
I take that to mean you would refuse to use a transgender person's preferred name.

This, you see, is the lack of community support that is one of the stressors that increases the risk of suicide in transgender persons.

By refusing to use preferred pronouns you are contributing to the stressors that increase the risk of suicide in transgender persons. Why deliberately say something that you know will be hurtful?
For starters, I have (fortunately rarely) referred to a man as Rebecca because he wanted to be called that. When I used the noun 'he' he was not present, like he isn't right now!
...Not that it would stop me if he was present, because I actually don't care if it stressed him out.

His ridiculous appearance stressed ME out!

And I truthfully didn't care if he decided to take his own life, for whatever reason.
I don't care why anyone takes their own life...it is their prerogative.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 04-08-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.