Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
I went inside an outside portable type restroom next to the beach and because of me being tall my head hit the door closer which was very rusty. My head wasn’t bleeding or anything and I have very long hair so it might not have scratched my scalp skin however I am still very concerned because my head touched that rusted metal door closer peice. Will I develop tetanus because of this event?

I had a Tetanus vaccine when I was very young (I’m 25 now) but I don’t remember getting any booster shots in the last 10 years. Should I visit a doctor and get a tetanus vaccine
Since the accident occurred in a restroom, a typically dirty place, I'd go to the dr and have it examined. S/he will decide about the vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Your doctor will tell you which one you need, it'll probably be a booster. Whichever it is you still need to go to the doctor to get it and it's a minor nothing to worry about procedure.
There is no separate booster vaccine. It's all either Td (Tetanus/ reduced strength diphtheria) or Tdap (Tetanus, reduced strength diphtheria and reduced strength acellular pertussis vaccine). That's for adults. Kids under 7 may get DTaP (full strength diphtheria, Tetanus and acellular pertussis vaccine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
No blood, no need.......sorry you got so much fear......
I wouldn't take a chance in a restroom.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,537,894 times
Quote:
I went inside an outside portable type restroom next to the beach and because of me being tall my head hit the door closer which was very rusty. My head wasn’t bleeding or anything and I have very long hair so it might not have scratched my scalp skin however I am still very concerned because my head touched that rusted metal door closer peice. Will I develop tetanus because of this event?

I had a Tetanus vaccine when I was very young (I’m 25 now) but I don’t remember getting any booster shots in the last 10 years. Should I visit a doctor and get a tetanus vaccine
Get your affairs and final instructions in order, fast! But really, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just get a new tetanus vaccine. Often, people have faulty recollections about what vaccines they had as children, if they don't have medical records to consult.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:36 PM

243 posts, read 264,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Get your affairs and final instructions in order, fast! But really, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just get a new tetanus vaccine. Often, people have faulty recollections about what vaccines they had as children, if they don't have medical records to consult.
I got tdap booster shot

Last edited by AliefNorth; 04-10-2019 at 07:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Good! Now you can be around little babies.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:32 PM

243 posts, read 264,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Good! Now you can be around little babies.
But will this protect me against tetanus due to my exposure to rust

Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
But will this protect me against tetanus due to my exposure to rust
Yes. That's what the "T" stands for.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's a myth that you get tetanus from rusty metal-- Tetanus is an anaerobic bug, so it's puncture wounds that seal themselves quickly, excluding air (with oxygen) from the inoculum that are the bigger problem-- particularly if the puncture was caused by something organic like a thorn or if a wound is contaminated with dirt- loaded with all sorts of bacteria like tetanus or anthrax.

The "tetanus booster every ten yrs" is a recommendation without any science to recommend it. Circulating levels of tetanus antibodies are next to zero just a yr or so after a vaccination, and nobody is brave enough to see how strong or effective the anamnestic response to a challenge with tetanus is in subjects yrs after their last shot.

Meanwhile, the lawyers insist everyone get a booster every ten yrs and at the time of any wound.
The problem with tetanus is not the bug itself but the toxin it produces. That is why the disease it causes cannot be treated with a antibiotics, which can only reduce further production of toxin. The toxin itself can be treated with antitoxin (tetanus immune globulin) to neutralize unbound toxin.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/artic...4-medication#6

Antibodies to tetanus toxin do persist, and the protection may last significantly longer than ten years. Older folks are at greater risk to lose protection.

These authors suggest a booster at age 30 as the Tdap and one at age 60.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4826453/

"We examined the levels and duration of serological memory after vaccination against tetanus and diphtheria toxins in a cross-sectional analysis of >500 adults. Protective levels of antitoxin antibodies were observed in 99% of subjects <60 years old (approximately 97% of the total all-age population), and vaccine-induced antibody responses declined with estimated half-lives of 14 years for tetanus and 27 years for diphtheria. Mathematical analysis of the magnitude and decay rate of antitoxin antibody responses predicts that 95% of the adult population remain protected for ≥30 years after vaccination."

A booster at the time of a seriously contaminated wound would probably be a good idea, too.

Pregnant women should get the Tdap with each pregnancy to increase antibody production for transfer to the fetus via the placenta.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:42 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times
Quote:
Yeah I got the TDaP shot at the pharmacy. It was a booster shot.

I also wanted the TD shot but I’m only able to get one shot they said

I told the pharmacist that I got my first tetanus shot when I was a child like 20 years ago and don’t remember taking any booster shots in the last 10 years unless I had one back in high school which I can’t remember

I hope I won’t get tetanus after hitting my head on a rusted door hinge
You do not need an additional Td. That is included in the Tdap.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:21 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,473,403 times
Quote:

Yes, you don't have long to live.

Good Lord, if you are that worried about it, see a doctor... not advice from random CD posters.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,821,162 times
Quote:
Do I need to get the shot or booster? I had a shot a really long time ago and don’t remember getting any boosters in the last 10 years.
I sent you a PM before I saw that you had already gotten the shot. YAY for you!

The difference between a booster and the original shot is that sometimes the protection of the original shot wanes over time. A second shot is given to boost the immune system again and that second shot (and all subsequent shots) are called booster shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness