Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

My friend just had a hysterectomy 2 days ago. I picked her up today and swung by the pharmacy for her meds.
They gave her "blood thinner" which she has to take by injection for 30 days. Enoxaparin sodium.
I asked the pharmacist if there was anything else besides injection. He said no and pulled the directions out to show how simple.
We had a 2hr drive home and I didn't mention it until we got home. She started crying and thought they were trying to be mean to her but I explained what the pharmacist said. I also said I would find a nurse to come show us how to do this. (She's staying with me until she feels well enough to go home) She thought of a retired R N friend she can call and I think she's feeling better about it.
I've given shots to my dogs. And I know diabetics are pros at this. But this lady is a young 62, has never injected herself and wasn't even warned or given direction by her medical team. I'm just so irritated about all this I had to vent.
Am I overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:32 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Yes.

Why was she crying? And what were they being mean about?

Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Usually the pharmacist has to ask you if you want a consultation.

I would call the doctor and the pharmacy, asap.

I would not be able to do this, and I am sure many people would not - and I would cry too!

Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
I could do it. It's just a sub-q injection. I've done hundreds on cats.

However, I would want that pharmacist consultation for the sake of completeness.

To inject enoxaparin, follow these instructions:

1. Wash your hands and the area of skin where you will give the shot.
  2. Look at the syringe to be sure the drug is clear and colorless or pale yellow.
  3. Take the cap off the needle. Do not push any air or drug out of the syringe before giving the shot unless your healthcare provider tells you to.
  4. Lie down and pinch a fold of skin between your finger and thumb. Push the entire needle into the skin and then press down on the syringe plunger to inject the drug. Hold onto the skin the entire time you give the shot. Do not rub the site after you give the shot.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yes.

Why was she crying? And what were they being mean about?
She's somewhat emotional under the circumstances and threw a bit of a fit before I got there. She was ashamed of herself and felt like this was "punishment".
I was reading about blood thinner injections to prevent clotting. Quite normal but no one even mentioned it before she was discharged.
Fluff, you're a wonder yourself. Thank you.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:43 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
FWIW I was prescribed a blood thinner after hip replacement. I knew about it before surgery...the orthopedist gave all joint replacement patients literature about what to expect and suggestions on how to prepare for home recovery. However, I took to the web to find out more, as I was a little anxious about it. A nurse had me do my first injection before discharge and sent me home with the meds. Giving myself the first shot was hard (you are overthinking it, the very idea of sticking yourself, and anticipation of pain is the problem) but after than no problem. It was nothing...a bee sting, soon over. The skin pinch is key.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-21-2019 at 12:59 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 09:59 AM

She's more secure about it. I'm going to do the first one for her and I think she will be fine.
Pam sounds like you had a great team.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
OP: I know this is about how to do the injection, but it suprises me, it should not, about the injection in the first place. I had a hysterectomy and NEVER any blood thinner prescribed.

A hip replacement and aspirin was the blood thinner the surgeon had me take for 3 weeks.

An allergist had me injecting at home yrs ago. It was easy, didn't help, but easy.

Amazing but not shocking how they are all different in what they do with patients.

Hope all goes well.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-21-2019 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I DO think someone should have warned her, but I've taken injections a few times with no instructions and so has DH. Assuming it is not auto inject?

I would do the first on for her so she can see how easy it is. Very nice of you to help.

I didn't have blood thinners after my hysterectomy which means nothing, obviously this woman needs this medicine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-21-2019, 12:27 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I know this is about how to do the injection, but it suprises me, it should not, about the injection in the first place. I had a hysterectomy and NEVER any blood thinner prescribed.

A hip replacement and aspirin was the blood thinner the surgeon had me take for 3 weeks.

An allergist had me injecting at home yrs ago. It was easy, didn't help, but easy.

Amazing but not shocking how they are all different in what they do with patients.

Hope all goes well.
Aren't you lucky that you didn't throw a blood clot and have a heart attack, stroke or pulmonary embolism?

Many people died before these powerful blood thinners became common in TODAY's medicine

That said, there is no excuse for OP's friend not to be shown how to inject at the hospital or by the pharmacist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness