Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Was visiting my daughter and SIL in FL when their son was still an infant
We all ate burgers from Chilli’s
We all got sick
My burger was not cooked well done as I asked (try never to eat any hamburger not cooked well done)
I don’t know about theirs but we were all sick

Don’t eat at that Chilli’s anymore—me...
I have read not to eat a less than fully cooked hamburger, because if contaminated, the nasties are spread throughout the meat. With a steak or chop, the nasties are on the exterior, and a sear will kill them. But I’ve never remembered to ask for a well done hamburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 01:33 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No one has posted what you need to keep in your medicine chest if it should happen to me or anyone.
There's nothing you should be taking. The sooner it is out of your system, the better, but that's like 2-4 days...

Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
I contracted food poisoning a few years ago from eating at a July 4 celebration. The party began at 1 PM, but I didn't arrive there until about 5. The food had been left outdoors on a buffet table for the length of the party.

My suspicion is that I received food poisoning from the potato salad, in which mayonnaise was an ingredient.

I initially felt weak and had terrible stomach pains when I went home. Then, I spent most of the overnight on the toilet with diarrhea. Around 5 AM, I finally vomited and felt some relief in my stomach.

Early on the morning of July 5, I went to a hospital emergency room. I recall that I was given 2 tablets to dissolve under my tongue as a pain reliever, and then was given an IV to rehydrate me. I spent about 3 hours in the emergency room.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
'How about you, ever been food poisoned and you were able to pinpoint what caused it?
I was sick for two weeks, lost 17 pounds and finally went to see my wonderful GP. He told me to go immediately to the hospital, give them a stool sample and he would call with the results. He called me the next day and gave me a prescription, don't ask me what the Rx was as this happened over 30 years ago when my youngest (baby/toddler) was still in a high chair.

It took me 6 months of wracking my brains trying to figure out where I consumed this food as no one else in my family had become ill (spouse/children).

I had worked late one night and picked up meatballs in sauce from the grocery store deli, went home made spaghetti and before I put the meatballs on my children's cooked spaghetti, to make sure it wasn't too hot, I tasted a teaspoon of it. VERY, VERY BAD! I put it back in the container and returned it to the store. Had I known or suspected at that time it had parasites I likely would have taken legal action.

I am very, very grateful that I am the only one who "tasted" the food and the only one who became ill.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:57 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
One time, at least as I recall. I’ve been told I have a cast iron stomach. I had seafood tacos at Iguana Mia that left me dizzy and nauseous for two days. Used to go there often, but never went back after that.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Red lobster in Times Square

Old 04-26-2019, 07:01 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
And unless all the food you ate for the past couple of days was tested, how would you possibly know?
Trust me, you know. I had day old Chinese takeout. It had turned. Once it went down, I knew I was in trouble. I had vomiting and diarrhea for three days.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
McDonalds in Nogalez, AZ.

I have a strong stomach, rarely does it bother me.

However was down in southern AZ last Feb and needed a quick bite. Next morning I felt a large knot in my stomach that stuck with me all day. That night it worsened and I ran outside and violently vomited, at least a dozen huge heaves. I won't describe any further symptoms other than I had to climb into the shower with my shorts to clean myself up.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Once I had it. Went to a late dinner at Red Lobster. Nothing tasted off. About 2:00 AM woke up very sick. Slept in the bathroom floor because I was throwing up and on pot most of the night. Lost 10 pounds and only weighed 100 pounds to begin with. Took three days to feel normal. I probably should have gone to doctors office but was too sick to think about being in car. I didn't call anyone and complain either, should have. I had never felt worse than I did ever.
I never eat any meat raw. Even steaks are medium well . I did have raw tuna once but I just won't ever again. Why take the chance of getting that sick.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Years ago my employer brought in a caterer and provided us with a seafood dinner. I remember eating around 6pm, and then about 3am I woke up with severe stomach pain. It scared me because it was so bad I thought my appendix had ruptured, and then suddenly I felt the ‘urge’ to go and at that point I knew what it was.

I’m still not exactly sure what it was I ate that was bad, but it get the feeling it was the fried crawfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness