Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:38 AM

399 posts, read 354,693 times

Advertisements

6 years ago my health hit the fan. I was much heavier and was diagnosed with the autoimmune Hashimoto's thyroid disease. I was put on Levothyroxine. Most importantly, I decided it's high time to quit junk food and lower my intake of processed foods. I also quit bread, pasta and tried avoiding anything containing wheat. Later I was diagnosed with sensitivities to certain foods, among them wheat. But every time I test for gluten or Celiac it comes of negative. Is it possible I'm reacting to something else in wheat/bread like yeast (I have a dx mold allergy) or other wheat proteins? I had all the classic Celiac symptoms like swollen belly, brain fog, joint pain, pale skin, vit. D deficiency etc. in my teens before my thyroid dx.

As the days went by on my GF diet, I started feeling better and better and my brain frog and depression+anxiety combo I've had since my teens disappeared. Some candy had malt extract in them but still, I didn't seem to react much to them and I only ate them 1 or 2 times. Apparently it's mostly bread and baked goods I react to. Then I went to uni and the stress of exams made me revert back to a junk/processed food and even wheat-heavy diet. My health has been worse since that point, only now I have hyperthyroidism and Grave's symptoms.

Here are my Celiac panel latest results, again negative:

Antigliadine antibodies IgG: 1
Anti tissue glutaminase IgA: 1
Anti tissue transglutaminase IgG: 1
Antigliadine antibodies IgA: 2

Where: 0-5 = (-) negative; 6-10 = borderline; >11 = (+) positive

As you can see, all of them are negative. Yet my wheat and yeast allergy test came back positive (strangely I was also positive to corn, peppers, eggs, and oats but negative to hard wheat for pasta and tomatoes?). I quit my gluten-free diet as I thought I was becoming more intolerant to other things like having an allergic shock from raw peppers. Apparently when going GF it's best to eat cooked food and avoid raw foods I was found to react to in the first year until the immune system regulates itself and stops overreacting. I've read there are other proteins in wheat besides gluten that are pro-inflammatory. I still remember and miss those days when my brain functioned normally and I didn't have brain fog and anxiety plus depression. Would you quit gluten/grains again in my case? I'm still vitamin D deficient, but iron and vit. b12 are normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 11:55 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
If you are allergic to wheat, don't eat it. You can have an allergy to wheat and NOT have celiac disease. Celiac disease is affected by gluten which is in other grains besides wheat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2019, 12:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
You said your tests showed you are sensitive to wheat. Someone else will be better at explaining the technicalities, like the difference between a sensitivity and an allergy, but yes, you said you are sensitive to wheat. Also to yeast. Wheat + yeast more or less =bread products. I see that in your second paragraph you say you are ALLERGIC to wheat.

It has little or nothing to do with being gluten free except that if you are not eating gluten foods, you are not eating things like bread which contain wheat and yeast. You will probably also be somewhat sensitive to anything related to wheat--things that are in the same family like oats, rye, corn.

It depends upon how sick you get from the wheat products but you could either stop eating wheat and other related grains altogether or you could eat them less often. Doctors say that if you are going to eat something you are somewhat allergic to, eat it on Day 1 and then not again until Day 4. That way you give your body a break and you probably do not make your allergy worse.

Your issues probably have nothing to do with gluten. You are probably like me--somewhat allergic to wheat. But I still eat wheat because I am VERY allergic to dairy and a few other things. There wouldn't be much left to eat if I stopped eating everything I am allergic to! Get on a healthier diet and do stop with the junk food. Nothing good comes from eating junk food. Eat such things as quinoa (not related to wheat) and rice. You might need to make some drastic changes or else you can get very sick and stay sick for a long time!

Just by getting the wheat products out of your life except for maybe one or two days a week, the brain fog, bloating, etc. should clear up.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
What did your doctor said? Did you had allergy tests?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
6 years ago my health hit the fan. I was much heavier and was diagnosed with the autoimmune Hashimoto's thyroid disease. I was put on Levothyroxine. Most importantly, I decided it's high time to quit junk food and lower my intake of processed foods. I also quit bread, pasta and tried avoiding anything containing wheat. Later I was diagnosed with sensitivities to certain foods, among them wheat. But every time I test for gluten or Celiac it comes of negative. Is it possible I'm reacting to something else in wheat/bread like yeast (I have a dx mold allergy) or other wheat proteins? I had all the classic Celiac symptoms like swollen belly, brain fog, joint pain, pale skin, vit. D deficiency etc. in my teens before my thyroid dx.

As the days went by on my GF diet, I started feeling better and better and my brain frog and depression+anxiety combo I've had since my teens disappeared. Some candy had malt extract in them but still, I didn't seem to react much to them and I only ate them 1 or 2 times. Apparently it's mostly bread and baked goods I react to. Then I went to uni and the stress of exams made me revert back to a junk/processed food and even wheat-heavy diet. My health has been worse since that point, only now I have hyperthyroidism and Grave's symptoms.

Did your doctor lower your Levo after this happened?

Quote:

Here are my Celiac panel latest results, again negative:

Antigliadine antibodies IgG: 1
Anti tissue glutaminase IgA: 1
Anti tissue transglutaminase IgG: 1
Antigliadine antibodies IgA: 2

Where: 0-5 = (-) negative; 6-10 = borderline; >11 = (+) positive

As you can see, all of them are negative. Yet my wheat and yeast allergy test came back positive (strangely I was also positive to corn, peppers, eggs, and oats but negative to hard wheat for pasta and tomatoes?). I quit my gluten-free diet as I thought I was becoming more intolerant to other things like having an allergic shock from raw peppers. Apparently when going GF it's best to eat cooked food and avoid raw foods I was found to react to in the first year until the immune system regulates itself and stops overreacting. I've read there are other proteins in wheat besides gluten that are pro-inflammatory. I still remember and miss those days when my brain functioned normally and I didn't have brain fog and anxiety plus depression. Would you quit gluten/grains again in my case?
Absolutely, I would. You are at greater risk of developing Celiac and other autoimmune diseases. If you need motivation to stay off gluten, look up some images of what it does to the small intestine of Celiac patients.

Autoimmune symptoms appear before they become full-blown diseases and are medically detected. Listen to what your body is telling you.

You might also look into an autoimmune protocol diet to help with this, or something similar. You can personalize it to your own needs and tastes. Some food eliminations are temporary but can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, and some are permanent for some people.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:47 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
My gastroenterologist told me that most people would feel better if they stopped eating wheat. He went so far as to say that he would be out of business if people just changed their diet, starting with eliminating wheat.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM

399 posts, read 354,693 times
I hope it helps with POIS as well. Now that makes me feel terrible for days.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I hope it helps with POIS as well. Now that makes me feel terrible for days.

I had to look that up. It's a new one on me. It's thought to be another autoimmune disorder, possibly an allergy disorder.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:21 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Do people really have to have some sort of diagnosis to avoid a certain food that causes them trouble???? I mean really, if it hits you wrong, avoid it as much as possible.

I am not allergic to carrots, been tested...........but if I eat carrots, my energy-levels do a BONK.
So yeah, I avoid carrots. Same thing happens with most fruit, so I rarely eat fruit....not that hard.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,243 times
I cut out gluten from my diet and never felt better. Tons more energy. Read up on people like Novak Djokovic who also swear by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness