Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

I have been actively working on losing weight for a couple of months now and been doing a good job via good old fashioned diet and intense exercise. It's going fine except for one problem: restaurants. Every time I go to a restaurant, my weight loss comes to a screeching halt, despite choosing healthier items on the menu and eating smaller quantities than before. I can't believe how unhealthy restaurant food is. Even so called "farm fresh" restaurants, like the menu link I enclosed are loaded with fat, calories, and sodium. It's no wonder Americans are so fat.

Going out just once a week to these places is enough to make us gain weight, and many busy Americans are dependent on restaurants to feed their families when they are in a time crunch. One of their "healthy" items is a shocking 1070 calories! And who knows how many calories the restaurant meals have that don't disclose their nutrition information. This restaurant is not unique either.

https://www.firstwatch.com/menu/heal...uperfoods-bowl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Convenience is a big factor. I was involved in a project related to this. People just make excuses so they can keep doing what is convenient.

When they said they don't have time to cook and were shown in how little time they could prepare nutritious meals, they came up with a different excuse.

When they said healthy food is too expensive, they found another excuse after they were shown that they were spending more per day on fast food and processed foods.

When they said that healthy foods don't taste good, they found another excuse even after they agreed that the healthy foods they were served were delicious and satisfying.

Many adults are set in these ways and spoiled by convenience. They have to be willing to use the knowledge they are given. A motivated person wanting to take charge of their health will seek the information like TT did.

Children are much easier to reach. The look on a child's face the first time he bites into a naturally ripened fruit is priceless. So THAT'S what it's supposed to taste like! Most have only known the tasteless fruit from supermarkets. Kids love to garden too.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
All of these are only affordable to educated middle/upper middle class. I am pretty sure this population became healthier and less fat in the last 7 - 10 years. But that is a minority of US population. The rest are probably getting fatter.

In the "hip" farmer market in Manhattan's Union square, heirloom, organic tomatoes sell for $4.99 - $5.99 a pound. Who can afford that?
No one says you have to buy a farmers market tomato. There are supermarkets that sell tomatoes cheaper.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Going out just once a week to these places is enough to make us gain weight, and many busy Americans are dependent on restaurants to feed their families when they are in a time crunch. One of their "healthy" items is a shocking 1070 calories! And who knows how many calories the restaurant meals have that don't disclose their nutrition information. This restaurant is not unique either.

https://www.firstwatch.com/menu/heal...uperfoods-bowl
I rarely eat at a restaurant without automatically getting a to-go box in which to put half my portion.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Convenience is a big factor. I was involved in a project related to this. People just make excuses so they can keep doing what is convenient.

When they said they don't have time to cook and were shown in how little time they could prepare nutritious meals, they came up with a different excuse.

When they said healthy food is too expensive, they found another excuse after they were shown that they were spending more per day on fast food and processed foods.<snip>

Children are much easier to reach. <snip>
Agreed on both counts. DS told me that he, DDIL and their daughters, aged 2 and 5, spend $100 a week on groceries. DDIL is very pregnant so she needs extra. I'm not sure how they do it because that's what I spend and I eat very little meat, although they buy theirs in bulk and store it in a deep freeze. We both shop at Costco. I was doing shopping for myself with the granddaughters last week and when I threw in a bag of red, yellow and orange sweet peppers their eyes lit up. I threw in an extra bag for their family. That's what they wanted as a snack when they got home! I'm allowed to indulge them with the occasional empty calories (the little one just got her first Starbucks cake pop and it was a huge success) but they truly like fresh fruits and vegetables.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Children are much easier to reach. The look on a child's face the first time he bites into a naturally ripened fruit is priceless. So THAT'S what it's supposed to taste like! Most have only known the tasteless fruit from supermarkets. Kids love to garden too.
Yes, but you're not just talking fresh fruit from the store - you're going another step further and specifying something homegrown or at least from a farmer's market where what's grown are the old heirlooms rather than the newer hybrids bred to be easy to ship without blemishes and not necessarily flavorful.

How many times harder is it for people to jump to THAT level of "homegrown" diet? How many people can even grow their own tomatoes much less any kind of tree fruit or veggies?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:34 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No one says you have to buy a farmers market tomato. There are supermarkets that sell tomatoes cheaper.
Yes, the hydroponic tomatoes that are absolutely tasteless...

Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We recently changed our eating habits and I will say eating fresh produce is a hassle. It does not keep long, so you have to go to the store constantly. Processed and packaged foods keep indefinitely. Further with processed foods you really do not have to make too many decisions, plan ahead o think a lot. Just look in the freezer or fridge, pick out the meal that looks good and nuke it. You are eating in less than half an hour from the time you open the fridge. Often less than 5 minutes. I can throw something in the microwave or oven and go do something else. No, healthy food is not that quick and convenient.

Healthy food is a PIA.

But then there is bacon. Quick, convenient, delicious and healthy.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes, the hydroponic tomatoes that are absolutely tasteless...
I totally agree. I was just offering an alternative. I don't eat tomatoes unless they are in season. Plus I grow my own.
People look for excuses to not eat healthy. Using a farmer's market tomato's expense is just another excuse.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, but you're not just talking fresh fruit from the store - you're going another step further and specifying something homegrown or at least from a farmer's market where what's grown are the old heirlooms rather than the newer hybrids bred to be easy to ship without blemishes and not necessarily flavorful.

How many times harder is it for people to jump to THAT level of "homegrown" diet? How many people can even grow their own tomatoes much less any kind of tree fruit or veggies?
Great point. Very few people have the luxury of having farm fresh produce available to them, not to mention being able to afford it.
Baby steps. The so-so produce at a grocery store can still be eaten and is a much better alternative to eating something boxed or junky.
Heck, frozen fruit and veggies are another viable solution if one cannot get decent fresh produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness