Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep, most of the produce here is shipped in a minimum of 2500 miles. We still eat it, although it is less than ideal. It's weird, the quality on Oahu is much less than what I get on Maui, so I guess they don't ship much over here. Then there is the cost factor, so most of our stuff comes from Costco.

Our choice is the same, heirloom tomatoes at 5.99 a pound, or flavorless, so that is the one plant we ALWAYS have growing.

It's no better on the mainland. Much of the fruit and produce here comes from the southern hemisphere. It's harvested before it's ripe so its long journey begins with decreased nutritional and flavor values, both of which continue to degrade daily. Still, it's better than resorting to highly processed and fast foods.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 05-16-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
You sure are reading a lot of things in my post that were not stated. I don't expect anyone to do anything other than make their own choices.

I don't expect everyone to grow their own and NEVER said that. Most people would fail miserably at it anyway. They would starve before they developed the necessary skills. I don't raise every single thing I eat. I suggest leaving some or all of that to people with the necessary skills and resources.

I didn't say anything about heirloom varieties either. You seem to be implying that if you can't afford heirloom tomatoes, then forget it, you just can't eat healthy. If you don't want to pay for them, then don't. Eat something else that is in season when it's cheaper.

It's not unhealthy to eat some minimally processed foods. You will get more lycopene from tomato paste than from fresh tomatoes, and it's more bioavailable. It won't make you obese either. Buy fresh tomatoes when they are in season; it's cheaper. Can't afford fresh salmon? You won't get fat from eating canned wild caught Alaskan salmon instead, which is healthier than fresh farmed salmon that were fed unnatural diets to fatten them up.

Are people really this helpless, or are they just looking for excuses to rationalize poor eating habits?
I'm merely re-stating what others have said - that if you've had homegrown produce it tastes good so you WANT TO eat it. Well, how many can get even farmer's market much less grow ANYTHING themselves? What's available in stores as fresh people are saying has no taste and probably isn't even healthy anyway, because it's not heirloom and all the "goodness" has been bred out of it..

"We" say people should eat healthy but when people say something like eating canned, not good enough. Frozen? Still "GMO" or some such so BAD. Fresh? Not heirloom or not organic....

Then you even say people would fail miserably if they TRIED to have a garden...haha...you give people no credit at all and at the same time you assume they have a plot to plant something when likely they don't even have a balcony for some container gardening.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm merely re-stating what others have said - that if you've had homegrown produce it tastes good so you WANT TO eat it. Well, how many can get even farmer's market much less grow ANYTHING themselves? What's available in stores as fresh people are saying has no taste and probably isn't even healthy anyway, because it's not heirloom and all the "goodness" has been bred out of it..

"We" say people should eat healthy but when people say something like eating canned, not good enough. Frozen? Still "GMO" or some such so BAD. Fresh? Not heirloom or not organic....

Then you even say people would fail miserably if they TRIED to have a garden...haha...you give people no credit at all and at the same time you assume they have a plot to plant something when likely they don't even have a balcony for some container gardening.
Frozen can be even better than poor quality fresh. It is frozen when it is ripe and peak freshness.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Frozen can be even better than poor quality fresh. It is frozen when it is ripe and peak freshness.
I certainly believe that...but there do seem to be some nutrition-elitists out there.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
I certainly believe that...but there do seem to be some nutrition-elitists out there.
Not really on topic but a book I read looked at the nutritional value of heirloom fruits, grains, veggies and beans and they were much higher in nutrients. Ugly seems to be healthier.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Maybe (in the US at least), it's tied to the trend of caring less and less about personal appearance in general. I'm wondering if overall personal hygiene is next to go on the decline. Maybe it already has.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:06 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Maybe (in the US at least), it's tied to the trend of caring less and less about personal appearance in general. I'm wondering if overall personal hygiene is next to go on the decline. Maybe it already has.
I don't see that- look at the money spent on tattoos and piercings, and the extent of "shopaholic" behavior for clothing, shoes and designer handbags. Jim Cramer, the financial guru, has often said that this is the "Instagram" generation and you have to look good for all the pictures so women, especially, spend more money on manicures, pedicures, makeup, etc. I'd also read that designer shoes and handbags are popular because you don't have to buy a bigger size if you're overweight. In fact, sometimes I think overweight people work harder on the rest of their appearance- well, excluding those on the "People of Wal-Mart" web site.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
The stereotype is that lower income people eat more fast foods, but the CDC found that
"The percentage of adults who consumed fast food increased with increasing family income."

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/1...ss-rich-people

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db322.htm

Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Enough people agreed that health insurance premiums can no longer be based on assessed risk of the individual, so now, we are all quoted as if we are a fairly bad risk. Agree with it or not - (I have no opinion, I have employer coverage) that's what happened. We now have one less motivation for people to pursue good health.
When you get non-employer non-ACA compliant health insurance, it is based upon your weight. I don't know if it's just a pass/fail type of thing or a larger premium if you are overweight/obese because I passed.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
It depends on how overweight you are. Insurance carriers have a height/weight chart ranging from 1-4 and you will get a rating of 25% if you are on the #1 chart which will add to the premium. If you're on chart 4 you will pay 100% extra. If you are over the #4 chart you have to go to a high risk company as it should be. A person who is 6 feet tall and 400 pounds is not only risking his life he is going to pay much more for health, life and disability insurance. Just like a bad driver pays more than a good driver, the normal weight consumer shouldn't have to pick up extra premiums because of the obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness