Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:52 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
An unsealed bottle of olive oil can definitely become rancid!

I appreciate what is new information to me. In my parent's household and my own household, olive oil was and is used frequently so we never tested that limitation.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I never had an ear infection in my life until I moved to Kentucky, at which point I started having anywhere from 4 to 6 each year. It took 5 years before I finally found a doctor smart enough to figure out that they were fungal. One drop of vinegar in each ear every 2 or 3 days, and I haven't had one in over 2 years now.

Interesting solution. I use distilled vinegar in my whole house AC to kill mold.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Years ago I had a doc tell me I should hold my nose, close my mouth and blow through my ears GENTLY about once a week to help keep my eustachian tubes clear. I had busted ear drums frequently as a child/young adult and this does seem to have helped. I still get some blockage when I have a cold but it's not been nearly as bad or as often since I started doing this exercise.

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/uf9680
might be worth a discussion with your doctor

Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Years ago I had a doc tell me I should hold my nose, close my mouth and blow through my ears GENTLY about once a week to help keep my eustachian tubes clear. I had busted ear drums frequently as a child/young adult and this does seem to have helped. I still get some blockage when I have a cold but it's not been nearly as bad or as often since I started doing this exercise.

Don't laugh but pulling your earlobe works too. This small eustachian tube thing is genetic, my dad had it too but he apparently had other problems with his ear as well because he was very hard of hearing. He also taught me that yawning works too but while you yawn move your jaw from side to side. Neither are probably very scientific but they work

Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

This is something Ill look into..

Old 05-10-2019, 10:33 AM

I actually did that exercise and it probably just helped the ear 75% with many pops.... Crazy... This is a good thread though that has helped quite a bit.. I'm glad I'm not the only sufferer

Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do you swim?

If the infections follow swim sessions, dry the ear canals immediately after a dunk, by putting a few drops of 50% isopropyl alcohol/50% vinegar into each ear, one side at a time. Keep the head tilted to let the mixture contact the insides, then tilt the head to drain out that side. Repeat for the other side.

I learned this after one ear became full and itchy inside after swimming in a heavily used pond. The ear felt better within minutes and soon was perfectly normal.

Preventing the bacteria from multiplying in the first place would be best, and that means drying the ears ASAP. The alcohol dries; the vinegar is to help maintain pH balance.
My ENT doc recommended this, and it really works. Even if my ear is already painful, this clears it up. And not just swimming related infections.

If your ear is itchy, that can mean the skin inside is dry, which can crack and allow bacterial infections. Same ENT recommended a drop of mineral oil for itchy ears.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Interesting solution. I use distilled vinegar in my whole house AC to kill mold.
Dr. Ear-man suggested a 50% solution, and he probably had good reasons, but I went my own way and just use 100% vinegar. It's just easier. I think hydrogen peroxide solution might accomplish the same goal.

People who are susceptible to chronic ear infections (especially fungal infections) might also benefit from allergy medications. I find that some seasonal allergies seem to cause just enough swelling in my eustachian tubes that it makes it easier for an infection to establish. If your tubes are narrow, just a little bit of inflammation can be enough to close them down, and bang. There you are. So, somewhat counterintuitively, OTC allergy meds also seem to help me prevent infections.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Yea my issue is not swimming related FWIW..

Old 08-17-2019, 04:26 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Find out why you are having the reoccuring ear infections!!! Do you have swollen neck lymph-nodes??? Maybe when your ear-infection clears, you still have an infection in that area that is not totally resolving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness