Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
My favorite generics are the ones which are literally made by the brand manufacturer and people still say they are not good.

Perception is an issue when people rate how effective a drug is. A study gave people the same product but one group was told it was expensive and the other group was not told it. People in the expensive group reported better outcomes.
Well, then that old motto, you get what you pay for is true in all that we buy. I don't use a generic thyroid drug and I feel good about what helps me. I sometimes have issues with availability and the prices rise every time I get a new refill, but that's true with all drugs.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
About 10 years ago I was taking a generic med I got from Walgreens. When Target opened near me I figured I'd get it there. The second day after taking it (from Target) all my symptoms came back. I researched and found out that Target used a different generic than Walgreens. I immediately refilled the Rx at Walgreens.

I don't know if the drug itself was fake or the different fillers "deactivated" the drug. Either way I was given something that did not work.
I'm sure that the drug was not fake at a store like Target

What I do know is that different generic manufacturers might use different inactive fillers. They might also press the tablet harder.

As a pharmacist, I know that there are rare issues of different responses when switching manufacturers. Unfortunately, today, staying on same mfr is not always possible due to back orders, company buyouts, etc.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:15 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm sure that the drug was not fake at a store like Target

What I do know is that different generic manufacturers might use different inactive fillers. They might also press the tablet harder.

As a pharmacist, I know that there are rare issues of different responses when switching manufacturers. Unfortunately, today, staying on same mfr is not always possible due to back orders, company buyouts, etc.
Thanks for your input as a pharmacist. I would hope that it wasn't fake, but if it was, how would Target know? Are they visiting and inspecting the facilities where the raw materials are being sourced from? I'm not being flippant; I'm asking a serious question.

And are generic formulations tested for efficacy? My guess is no. So there are these pills out there where one ingredient (the actual drug) has FDA approval but it is mixed with fillers and that complete mixture is not tested and doesn't have to go through all the testing that the patented name-brand formulation did. And these fillers can potentially negate the active ingredient to more or less of a degree, or even cause return of symptoms or cause new side effects. Yet the FDA doesn't demand they be tested or approved.

I think it's somewhat disingenuous to claim that a certain pill is a generic for X name-brand drug, when in reality it's a different formulation that may or may not actually work as intended.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input as a pharmacist. I would hope that it wasn't fake, but if it was, how would Target know? Are they visiting and inspecting the facilities where the raw materials are being sourced from? I'm not being flippant; I'm asking a serious question.

And are generic formulations tested for efficacy? My guess is no. So there are these pills out there where one ingredient (the actual drug) has FDA approval but it is mixed with fillers and that complete mixture is not tested and doesn't have to go through all the testing that the patented name-brand formulation did. And these fillers can potentially negate the active ingredient to more or less of a degree, or even cause return of symptoms or cause new side effects. Yet the FDA doesn't demand they be tested or approved.

I think it's somewhat disingenuous to claim that a certain pill is a generic for X name-brand drug, when in reality it's a different formulation that may or may not actually work as intended.
How would Target know anything more than WalMart, Costco, CVS, etc. I agree with your post.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:09 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:

Target, like every major drug chain buys drugs from extremely well respected and well regulated drug wholesalers. My guess is McKesson, but could be Cardinal Health or AmerisourceBergen (these three wholesalers account for more than 90% of all sales to hospitals and pharmacies in the US.

All testing is done under FDA supervision. Your guess is incorrect. All are tested (Or, should I say a % of batches are tested)

All products must be mixed with inert fillers in order to manufacture tablets and capsules. The bio-pharmaceutics is such that all should release the same. The active ingredients are also tested. The original manufacturer is under no obligation to divulge their formulation. (Formulation's are proprietary) Samples must be also kept for future testing

Old 05-22-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Target, like every major drug chain buys drugs from extremely well respected and well regulated drug wholesalers. My guess is McKesson, but could be Cardinal Health or AmerisourceBergen (these three wholesalers account for more than 90% of all sales to hospitals and pharmacies in the US.

All testing is done under FDA supervision. Your guess is incorrect. All are tested (Or, should I say a % of batches are tested)

All products must be mixed with inert fillers in order to manufacture tablets and capsules. The bio-pharmaceutics is such that all should release the same. The active ingredients are also tested. The original manufacturer is under no obligation to divulge their formulation. (Formulation's are proprietary) Samples must be also kept for future testing
What I mean by "testing" is that the formulations are used in clinical trials and tested on human patients, not that batches of pills are tested to contain stated ingredients.

Are each of these generic formulations individually tested in clinical trials?

Old 05-22-2019, 05:01 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
What I mean by "testing" is that the formulations are used in clinical trials and tested on human patients, not that batches of pills are tested to contain stated ingredients.

Are each of these generic formulations individually tested in clinical trials?
No, generics are not required to undergo clinical trials. This is why they’re substantially cheaper than name brand. Those drugs have and the expense of doing so is where the cost comes in. Genetics still undergo rigorous FDA processes before coming to market. Here’s a link with a thorough explanation. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...s-fda-scrutiny

Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
No, generics are not required to undergo clinical trials. This is why they’re substantially cheaper than name brand. Those drugs have and the expense of doing so is where the cost comes in. Genetics still undergo rigorous FDA processes before coming to market. Here’s a link with a thorough explanation. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...s-fda-scrutiny
Thanks for the link. Several criteria are listed for the generic drug approval process, but none address the generic formulation *as a whole.* The focus is on the active ingredient, the dosage, the form, absorption rate. Inactive ingredients are apparently ignored because they are *assumed* to be inactive and therefore not able to possibly provide some kind of anti-synergistic effect. That is the blind spot. The fact that there are people such as myself having no problem with one generic formulation but the return of symptoms or the beginning of new side effects with another generic formulation of the same active ingredient is human-tested evidence that these "inactive" ingredients are actually "active" and doing something.

To the people who have left me rep comments, here is a link from that article to Medwatch where consumers can report their experiences. But even if the FDA selects your drug for testing, it will not investigate whether the "inactive" ingredients might be interfering with or deactivating the "active" ingredient.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...mer.reporting1

Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We don't know that. The ibuprofen I take could even be taking is coming from China, bets are it does. But again, we'll never know, but many do investigative work as did the author of the piece I posted. I take a brand name thyroid medication and do believe it's produced in a U.S. plant as they just went thru a major expansion of their plant and there was a shortage of the med for a time, I was sweating it a bit, but found this morning my source is back on track. I was taking less dose to stretch out what I have left.
I went to the medicine cabinet and looked through a few pill bottles. Mostly they seem to be made in India. China has huge issues. My dad worked for a Pharma company and they don't like recalls and they don't like PR. The Chinese adulterated Heparin, a heart med that people NEED when they're very ill; it wasn't a "oh dang, we made it wrong, recall it," but rather they adulterated stuff they knew was bad to pass QA tests.

Again, India is where a ton of meds are made. I don't have a problem with that.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I went to the medicine cabinet and looked through a few pill bottles. Mostly they seem to be made in India. China has huge issues. My dad worked for a Pharma company and they don't like recalls and they don't like PR. The Chinese adulterated Heparin, a heart med that people NEED when they're very ill; it wasn't a "oh dang, we made it wrong, recall it," but rather they adulterated stuff they knew was bad to pass QA tests.

Again, India is where a ton of meds are made. I don't have a problem with that.
I buy a auyrevedic blood pressure med directly from India and believe it's just fine. I take it along with generic BP meds for that extra boost. Feels right. A lot of good medicine comes from India in the auyrevedic form. But this is another issue than the generics we're talking about. I don't know where my two BP generics come from and can't go crazy worrying. So far they are doing OK, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness