Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,561,763 times

Advertisements

My xray showed hardly if any space in my knee joints and if that's the case and no cartilage, why is that I can bend my knee so well.

Thinking about these replacements and how the tools of surgery break and saw and hammer our bones, and it's been said that when older people especially have "breaks" of any kind I'm thinking, it's all downhill. Breaking the bones is all breaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:50 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My xray showed hardly if any space in my knee joints and if that's the case and no cartilage, why is that I can bend my knee so well.

Thinking about these replacements and how the tools of surgery break and saw and hammer our bones, and it's been said that when older people especially have "breaks" of any kind I'm thinking, it's all downhill. Breaking the bones is all breaking.
My knee problems did not affect my knee bending hardly at all. My 65 year old niece could barely walk before she had knee replacement because neither of her knees were bending. In my case it was a combination of pain and my knee would simply give out on me from time to time.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My knee problems did not affect my knee bending hardly at all. My 65 year old niece could barely walk before she had knee replacement because neither of her knees were bending. In my case it was a combination of pain and my knee would simply give out on me from time to time.
Well, my knee has been thru the mill and it's still workable...maybe too it's the Cosamin DS I believe is giving me cushioning. And the gelatin I'm back on. And while in the rehabs, I learned and did a lot of PT and do that at home.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,175,045 times
Quote:
Well, my knee has been thru the mill and it's still workable...maybe too it's the Cosamin DS I believe is giving me cushioning. And the gelatin I'm back on. And while in the rehabs, I learned and did a lot of PT and do that at home.
Nothing you have described has added any “cushioning “ to your knee. It isn’t physiologically possible to add cushioning to your knee

Once articular cartilage is gone it’s gone for good

Cosamin DS certainly doesn’t regenerate cartilage that question has been asked and answered

Old 06-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Nothing you have described has added any “cushioning “ to your knee. It isn’t physiologically possible to add cushioning to your knee

Once articular cartilage is gone it’s gone for good

Cosamin DS certainly doesn’t regenerate cartilage that question has been asked and answered
You nor anyone else has the answers to any of this regeneration of cartilage. I will go along with what I do and stay away from surgery where they take more tissue and cartilage out.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:42 AM

1,487 posts, read 869,350 times
Quote:
You nor anyone else has the answers to any of this regeneration of cartilage. I will go along with what I do and stay away from surgery where they take more tissue and cartilage out.
Bottom line...cartilage does not regenerate....and I do have scientific knowledge to document it...have spent 50 years as a NP with a masters degree..Do you!

Nearly 43 years ago I nearly died in a head on...totally wrecked my right leg..shattered knee cap, broke every bone in ankle...So believe me I know orthopedic knees!,

My MRI shows total bone on bone...having no native kneecap no surgeon will do a knee replacement..

But...I can bend my knee totally! Stairs are not fun...but I can walk without any aids on the flat...
Some discomfort, but not bad..

Without adequate cartilage, you are bone on bone..but knee can bend totally..

Anti inflammatory meds can help, but will not regrow cartilage....stem cells not working out as well as we hoped..

Old 06-30-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Bottom line...cartilage does not regenerate....and I do have scientific knowledge to document it...have spent 50 years as a NP with a masters degree..Do you!

Nearly 43 years ago I nearly died in a head on...totally wrecked my right leg..shattered knee cap, broke every bone in ankle...So believe me I know orthopedic knees!,

My MRI shows total bone on bone...having no native kneecap no surgeon will do a knee replacement..

But...I can bend my knee totally! Stairs are not fun...but I can walk without any aids on the flat...
Some discomfort, but not bad..

Without adequate cartilage, you are bone on bone..but knee can bend totally..

Anti inflammatory meds can help, but will not regrow cartilage....stem cells not working out as well as we hoped..
Believe what you choose and so will I. I live with a messed up knee which started screaming when I was 57 and now 81 soon and it's been thru a lot and I can say TODAY my knee is improved from where it was a couple yrs ago. I just posted some more in the Alt Med area on cartilage.

We have our stories and choose to believe what we do. Everyone's body is unique.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Believe what you choose and so will I. I live with a messed up knee which started screaming when I was 57 and now 81 soon and it's been thru a lot and I can say TODAY my knee is improved from where it was a couple yrs ago. I just posted some more in the Alt Med area on cartilage.

We have our stories and choose to believe what we do. Everyone's body is unique.
I am a scientist...so I believe what has been proven, not what I choose..

Not to mention my years of professional experience, and reading medical journals every month..

Yes..all bodies are unique..but science is science, stories of some people, etc..are called ancectol, and usually means they didn’t have the problem in the first place..

One does not spent 50 years in medicine without a healthy respect for data..

Various non surgeries for anything can offer symptomatic relief, and these are getting better as the science advances

Old 06-30-2019, 12:20 PM

Science is forever changing and my body is too and I don't buy doctor and science but listen to my body and know how it's working or not. Whatever works in our lives is what we go with.

I'm faithful with an MD here who does 1000's of Prolo injections in this medical practice and he forever claims cartilage re grows. I haven't gone with the PRP but have not totally discounted it and some day will go to see him and we'll see if insurance finally coughs up payments for this work. It's called Regenerative Medicine!!!! Re-generate. Don't cut out what we have.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-30-2019 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Science is forever changing and my body is too and I don't buy doctor and science but listen to my body and know how it's working or not. Whatever works in our lives is what we go with.

I'm faithful with an MD here who does 1000's of Prolo injections in this medical practice and he forever claims cartilage re grows. I haven't gone with the PRP but have not totally discounted it and some day will go to see him and we'll see if insurance finally coughs up payments for this work. It's called Regenerative Medicine!!!! Re-generate. Don't cut out what we have.
Actually science does not change!

Evidenced based medicine changes approaches and treatments...but not the science
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness