Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,874,042 times

Advertisements

Can your cell phone make you sick? No, this is not an anti device thread. I'm not going to suggest cell phones cause cancer or brain rot. However, your cell phone is at least 7 times dirtier than your toilet seat. When was the last time you cleaned your phone? We clean our kitchens, cars, dishes, clothes, children, pets, desks, and everything else. But many of us never clean our cell phones, which are the dirtiest items we ever use. It's a good idea to clean them occasionally with a diluted solution of alcohol or plain water and a microfiber cleaning cloth.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...an/2950106002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:56 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,722,854 times
I swipe my tablet, phone and remote with an alcohol solution....as the article states, too many germs on hands...

Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM

160 posts, read 124,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Can your cell phone make you sick? No, this is not an anti device thread. I'm not going to suggest cell phones cause cancer or brain rot. However, your cell phone is at least 7 times dirtier than your toilet seat. When was the last time you cleaned your phone? We clean our kitchens, cars, dishes, clothes, children, pets, desks, and everything else. But many of us never clean our cell phones, which are the dirtiest items we ever use. It's a good idea to clean them occasionally with a diluted solution of alcohol or plain water and a microfiber cleaning cloth.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...an/2950106002/
To each their own I guess.

I personally think we humans are a very hardy species. I'm not convinced by a long shot that I will pick up some horrific disease from my way dirtier than a toilet seat phone. I'll go so far as to say the toilet seat comparison is there to sensationalize this article. Who wants to put a toilet seat to their ear right? So better disinfect your phone right now.

Feel the same way about grabbing a disinfecting wipe as I enter the grocery store to wipe down the handle to my shopping cart. I don't do that either. Or believe it does any good.There is such a thing as overkill of bacteria etc. Causes more resistant and virulent strains to rise up.

I'm not saying live like a pig. However the whole "germ phobia" thing is taken too far by a lot of people already.

So until folks start dropping like flies from diseases verified to be caught from their phone, or shopping cart handles, count me out on the disinfectant wipes.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:35 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,223,978 times
...just imagine!...and I'm yet to die from it.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:05 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,874,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I swipe my tablet, phone and remote with an alcohol solution....as the article states, too many germs on hands...
I agree. I'm hardly a germaphobe, but cleaning my phone with a bit of alcohol on occasion is certainly not going to hurt me. Plus it wipes off the fingerprints.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,590,367 times
Well if I used one I certainly would NOT put my hands near my face/mouth and I am aware of not doing that anyway.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:01 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,950,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post

Feel the same way about grabbing a disinfecting wipe as I enter the grocery store to wipe down the handle to my shopping cart. I don't do that either
I don't either, but I've seen enough people sneeze in their hands and then put those nasty hands right back on the grocery cart handle to make me wonder why I don't wipe a cart down before I use it. Not to mention, people pick their noses, pick at scabs, and do ahem other things too, then grab a grocery cart without washing their hands first.

I'm sure cell phones have every possible body fluid on them, and grocery carts too.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,719,421 times
While I'm not a germaphobe, I do use the wipes provided for shopping cart handles and clean my cell phone occasionally. It can't hurt to do so IMO.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,923,426 times
YOUR phone.
NOT mine.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:24 PM

160 posts, read 124,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't either, but I've seen enough people sneeze in their hands and then put those nasty hands right back on the grocery cart handle to make me wonder why I don't wipe a cart down before I use it. Not to mention, people pick their noses, pick at scabs, and do ahem other things too, then grab a grocery cart without washing their hands first.

I'm sure cell phones have every possible body fluid on them, and grocery carts too.
Guess I've touched a lot of handles like that then. For years.
Here I am. Alive and well. Just like always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness