Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times

Advertisements

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/the-big-...g-medications/

Well, it looks like the ibuprofen I take and Atenolol for BP contribute to my issue. So I work daily to keep on top of this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM

14,846 posts, read 11,978,561 times
Oral they may have nothing to do with it. Casual association does NOT equal causation. If so you could blame any number of your supplements on your irregularity as well. The

I've taken or am currently taking several meds on that list. I've taken NSAIDS, am currently taking diltiazem, and metoprolol, a beta blocker, and have no issues with constipation. I'm also taking tylenol PM at night temporarily to help with some post-surgical pain so I can sleep better. Tylenol PM has Benedryl in it.

Opiods, on the other hand, are notorious for causing constipation.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:26 PM

11,125 posts, read 7,858,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Oral they may have nothing to do with it. Casual association does NOT equal causation. If so you could blame any number of your supplements on your irregularity as well. The

I've taken or am currently taking several meds on that list. I've taken NSAIDS, am currently taking diltiazem, and metoprolol, a beta blocker, and have no issues with constipation. I'm also taking tylenol PM at night temporarily to help with some post-surgical pain so I can sleep better. Tylenol PM has Benedryl in it.

Your case study of yourself isn’t very scientific. Just because those things don’t constipate you... doesn’t mean it’s not going to consipate others.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Well that is good and that's your system. Not mine. And I'm not blaming my lifelong "irregularity" on my supplements...thanks. Many supps I take help with my issue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-19-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 PM

17,386 posts, read 13,112,136 times
Moderator cut: removed sarcastic inflammatory remark

Ibuprofen lists constipation as 1-3% of total population taking the med. Statistically, that's insignificant! Anyone who reports an AE during and after trials get's added to the list, unproven whether constipation due to med of just occurs

Quote:
Adverse Effects
1-10%
Dizziness (3-9%)

Epigastric pain (3-9%)

Heartburn (3-9%)

Constipation (1-3%)

Nausea (3-9%)

Rash (3-9%)

Tinnitus (3-9%)

Edema (1-3%)

Fluid retention (1-3%)

Headache (1-3%)

Vomiting (1-3%)

<1%
Acute renal failure (sometimes with acute tubular necrosis or hyperkalemia, polyuria, azotemia, cystitis, hematuria, decreased creatinine clearance, elevations in blood urea nitrogen (BUN) or creatinine without other manifestations of renal failure)

Agranulocytosis

Aplastic anemia

Erythema multiforme

Erythematous macular rashes

Exfoliative dermatitis

Hemolytic anemia (with or without positive direct antiglobulin test results)

Neutropenia

Thrombocytopenia (with or without purpura)

Toxic epidermal necrolysis (Lyell syndrome) and photosensitivity reactions
Atenolol-constipation is not even listed in Medscape which is a noted pharmacy resourse

Quote:
Adverse Effects
>10%
Tiredness (13%)

1-10%
Hypotension (10%)

Bradycardia (8%)

Cold extremities (0.5- 7%)

Postural hypotension (2-4%)

Depression (3%)

Nausea (2-3%)

Dreaming (2%)

Drowsiness (2%)

Diarrhea (1-2%)

Fatigue (1-2%)

Leg pain (1-2%)

Lethargy (1-2%)

Lightheadedness (1-2%)

Vertigo (1-2%)

Dyspnea (0.4-2%)

2°/3° atrioventricular (AV) block (1%)

Frequency Not Defined
Hypotension, severe congestive heart failure (CHF), sick sinus syndrome

Catatonia, disorientation, emotional lability, hallucinations, headache, impaired performance on neuropsychometric tests, psychoses, short-term memory impairment

Purpura, rashes

Nausea

Thrombocytopenia

Elevated serum hepatic enzymes and bilirubin

Impotence, Peyronie disease

Antinuclear antibodies (ANA), lupus syndrome

Visual disturbances, xerophthalmia

Raynaud phenomenon

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-20-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 PM

14,846 posts, read 11,978,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Your case study of yourself isn’t very scientific. Just because those things don’t constipate you... doesn’t mean it’s not going to consipate others.
LOL, I figure my anecdotal experiences are as good as anyone elses's. I made no claim or pretense that it was anything else. But unlike others, I do understand the difference between association and cause and effect. Do you?

Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 PM

Mike: First of all I don't blame my life long history of sluggish bowels on any drugs -- I never took that many -- nor supplements...but poor food choices, a life of carbs and sugars and meats and not enough water thru the years. It took years to learn all this....and years of stress in the workplace.

But I've worked on my issue and am pretty healthy in that area and thanks to some supplements which work there...including aloe vera, vit c, grape seed ex, magnesium, ox bile....all these very foreign to you, right?

But the two drugs I do take and I'd like not to take them appear to contribute at least from this link I've posted.

I have taken supplements since about 57 so not a lifetime and don't forget I am older than you as I think you say you are 70something...

And it's very true I'd like NOT to take pharma drugs, that's no secret as you know. And I know that is your profession. So a conflict of interests, right.

I don't work for big supp or big pharma and only for what my body likes the best. It rebelled with a drug back in the 80's and that was a huge turningpoint.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-19-2019 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,133 times
Quote:

Where do you draw the line? Only illegal drugs have side effects?

Prescription drugs "solve exactly the problem they are designed to solve" and always work as expected?

Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,768,632 times
Constipation happens with no real cause when you get older. I suffer from it and on paper there is absolutely no reason why I should. Besides my diet, (which is predominantly vegetables and lean proteins and whole grains). I take magnesium and vitamin C which my doctor said taking together will help. Nope. Its a crap shoot, pun intended. Age is going to get us one way or another.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:21 PM

6,043 posts, read 4,402,283 times
If you're sure your diet is not contributing to the problem, you can try drinking more water. That's a major cause of constipation and a pretty easy fix, especially if you're older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness