Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:29 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed recently is that older and middle aged people tend to develop more diseases than young people and I wonder if it's linked to a food.

For example my neighbor had a stroke and I think the reason for this is that she smoked cigarettes and blunts in the hall at 7 am every day and drank large bottles of beer. My friend's husband got diabetes when he was 30 because he drank cocktails and booze (hard liquor) every day. He used to be healthy before the booze thing happened.

Have you encountered any incidents in your social life where you have noticed a direct linkage between behaviors and diseases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Common sense tells me what is good for my body young or old. I've learned a lot over my aging years and eliminated foods I believed were causing damage, and stopped all alcohol a few yrs ago and NEVER smoked. I'm 81 soon. I get quality water delivery, drink water all day.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
What foods do you feel are toxic? Would you recommend vegan diets for avoiding the doctor?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:05 PM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Around here the fat people with diabetes eat mostly fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. Traditional southern foods are real artery cloggers.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
What foods do you feel are toxic? Would you recommend vegan diets for avoiding the doctor?
I would not do a vegan diet and grandgirl is now and she's gained weight...I believe these people eat too many carbs. And going with smaller portions of everything. Overloading on carbs are not the answer.

A balanced diet is what I do, small amounts of meat, but I do eat meat and always have. I've eliminated carbs (breads, cookies, donuts, cwap) and sugars, candy big time.

Older people due to arthritis and other issues just can't move like they did all their lives, which I believe does cause the body to break down, it did in mine anyway. Damned if you do, and if you don't.

Finding that balance in all.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-20-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 02:27 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
One thing I've noticed recently is that older and middle aged people tend to develop more diseases than young people and I wonder if it's linked to a food.

For example my neighbor had a stroke and I think the reason for this is that she smoked cigarettes and blunts in the hall at 7 am every day and drank large bottles of beer. My friend's husband got diabetes when he was 30 because he drank cocktails and booze (hard liquor) every day. He used to be healthy before the booze thing happened.

Have you encountered any incidents in your social life where you have noticed a direct linkage between behaviors and diseases?
To begin at the beginning, "older aged" people are simply that...older. More things have happened to them while they've been walking around on the planet. Bodies don't last forever. Things wear out, weaken, break. The habits of more years have more time to affect them than less years. Food habit is certainly going to affect someone's health but it isn't the only thing that will. Inherited tendencies, genetic defects, infections, contagious diseases, accidents suffered through those years of living as well as mere random chance will also.

There are probably millions of research articles you can read that explains all this. Open any magazine or newspaper published over the last 100 years and you'll find something about it. Libraries are full of stuff proving, theorizing, speculating, or ranting about human health and what damages it.

It is naive to pin the poor health of an older person on food alone. It should be considered a contributing factor. For that person you can point to who smoked and suffered a stroke there will be someone who had a stroke and NEVER smoked. People who smoked like chimneys and NEVER suffered any heart disease or strokes. In fact, my grandfather was one. He was healthy as a nut until about 85 and smoked most of his life. Died peacefully in his sleep. Was he an exception? Who knows. Should I conclude that smoking isn't bad for you? Of course not!!

Old 06-20-2019, 02:40 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I'd certainly say that you can get away with eating crap and abusing alcohol and tobacco when you're young but eventually it catches up with you. It catches up with some earlier than others.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:39 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:

None of these things I bolded that you mentioned are foods! Yes, of course there is a correlation between behaviors and diseases.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I just think the whole thread idea is bizarre - did you ever just think: diseases generally are something that older people have more of a risk of? The longer you are on this planet, the longer your organs, etc. have lived - the more risk (as a rule).

Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
very subjective subject....
a 116 yr old woman ...when asked what was her secret for longevity?? she said she ate bacon everyday

id look more at sugars and carbs than fats and meats.... watch the magic pill on Netflix

the old eskimos ate 50-60% seal blubber ...then the rest mostly proteins ...very very little is none...fruits and veggies...
and they had NO heart disease or cancer..

yes cigarettes and booze are not recommended...but I also strongly believe in freedom of choice.... don't be so quick to condemn one substance but not another....when is the last time you saw an obese person eating ice cream or crap food??? did you want to approach them and tell them they are killing themselves?

and no ….don't go vegan... ive had some nieces go vegan ...and they felt like crap ...hair falling out ,,they finally came back to there senses

most of the elders in my family...over 90....give moderation ….they eat plenty of meats...and veggies …...but they also try to stay moving....

I believe exercise is under-rated......our bodies are made to be used.....most of the jobs have shifted to hard labor jobs to office jobs...….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness