Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

My grand mother says drink tea and you'll won't need any meds. She lived to 96 and never take any prescription drugs in her life she can't swallow meds and all she does is drink leaf teas everyday and eats very little. The food portion she eats is like the same as a 5 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This study says antihistamines do not increase the risk of dementia. I was very happy to read that.
Wait -- isn't diphenhydramine (Benadryl) on the "Avoid" list? I'm confused.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:11 PM

385 posts, read 324,134 times
Please note what Carol Coupland, M.D., and the lead author in the study stated: "this is an observational study so no firm conclusions can be drawn about whether these anticholinergic drugs cause dementia."

So we have an observational study from which no firm conclusions can be drawn, and many chime in with their anecdotal stories, and next thing you know all types of erroneous conclusions are being drawn.

When it comes to science reporting -- which is very loose and sloppy -- extreme caution is advised: https://theness.com/neurologicablog/...ews-reporting/

Old 06-25-2019, 02:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Wait -- isn't diphenhydramine (Benadryl) on the "Avoid" list? I'm confused.
From the article:

Quote:
The researchers found no significant increases in dementia risk associated with antihistamines, skeletal muscle relaxants, gastrointestinal antispasmodics, antiarrhythmics, or antimuscarinic bronchodilators, according to the data, but associations were found among other classes of anticholinergic drugs.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:33 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This study says antihistamines do not increase the risk of dementia. I was very happy to read that.

That would be the newer generation of antihistamines...The old ones on the Beer's list are very bad

Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That would be the newer generation of antihistamines...The old ones on the Beer's list are very bad

I'm not a senior, but I have to take large doses of antihistamines daily to function because I have a mast cell disorder. So I was glad to see that antihistamines don't increase the risk of dementia, at least according to this study, because I will be taking them for the rest of my life, both first and second generation antihistamines.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:10 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
OK, I think I've figured out the apparent contradiction regarding antihistamines. First-generation antihistamines, including diphenhydramine (Benadryl), are to be avoided by older people, according to the Beers list.

The study that this thread refers to found no association between antihistamines and an increased risk of dementia. That simply means that in this particular study, they found no association. It does not mean that the Beers list is wrong, nor does it mean that all antihistamines are now OK for all older people.

I take Benadryl every night to help me sleep. This was recommended to me by my doctor as a substitute for lorazepam, which I had been taking for a number of years. My doctor wanted me to stop taking lorazepam as it's very bad for older people (it's on the Beers list), and she recommended Benadryl instead.

Maybe she was unaware that Benadryl is also on the Beers list, or maybe she figured Benadryl would be less harmful to me. In any event, at my next scheduled appointment I'll bring it up for discussion with her.

I think that's the take-away from this study: if you're an older person taking one or more of these medications, talk about it with your doctor.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:10 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:

"very bad" is an almost worthless phrase. what does that mean? they certainly aren't contraindicated by virtue of being on the list. but sometimes added caution might be warranted or give a prescriber pause and possibly think about a different agent if one is available especially if the patient is accumulating several of these drugs in their regimen. to go up to a doc and say, hey this is a beers drug, please discontinue it, without any consideration of the entire picture, would get you laughed at.

anyway, here's some info about the beers list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beers_criteria

Old 06-25-2019, 07:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
"very bad" is an almost worthless phrase. what does that mean? they certainly aren't contraindicated by virtue of being on the list. but sometimes added caution might be warranted or give a prescriber pause and possibly think about a different agent if one is available especially if the patient is accumulating several of these drugs in their regimen. to go up to a doc and say, hey this is a beers drug, please discontinue it, without any consideration of the entire picture, would get you laughed at.

anyway, here's some info about the beers list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beers_criteria
To go a bit farther the Beers list, as noted, is developed through what is identified as using the Delphi method; that is through discussions with a group of stakeholders. Confirmation bias is an inherent problem among groups of like minded individuals. I would prefer to base something as important as medication choices on much more objective criteria.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Here's more

https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/new...ementia-risk#1

No one knows what the causes of Azlheimer's could be. This article was a preliminary study. All I ask is that you think about the pluses amdnd minuses of what you take
I'm going to go ahead and guess the "pluses" of antidepressants and antipsychotics and antiepileptics outweigh the "minuses" for most people. I know I'd vote for "quality of life now" over "possible risk later."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness