Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 11:54 AM

220 posts, read 133,779 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have reflux? I have the silent one of reflux and have avoided most foods. Onions really never bothered me until this morning. I am not sure if it is onions since I used the sweet one since it is not suppose to bother me as I was told by my friend. I used very little with my brown tomatoes that I use to make my egg dish. And when I make smoothies, I use almond butter or pecans if I eat oatmeal. Would the nuts and nut butters also trigger reflux? Does anyone have these experiences like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
IME, reflux as a reaction to a particular food can indeed occur suddenly.

In fact, it's clear to me now that I was reacting badly to certain foods before I knew I was having reflux - But I was coughing after meals, not feeling the burn.

And yes, both onions and nuts can do it to me too.

It turns out that for some of the foods I react to, it's dose-dependent. I can eat about 6 nuts or a few pieces of onion with no effect. But nut butter or french onion soup? Nope.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:09 PM

220 posts, read 133,779 times
Quote:
IME, reflux as a reaction to a particular food can indeed occur suddenly.

Thanks for your reply. I have given up eating regular onions and have used sweet onions without a problem, but now it can't be I'm having a reaction to sweet onions. When you did or do have triggers where does it hit you?

Old 06-29-2019, 03:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Those listed don't really bother me that much.

My reflux goes crazy when I eat sugar..........and it takes several days after eating sugar for it to
die-down. Fruit is bad also.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have given up eating regular onions and have used sweet onions without a problem, but now it can't be I'm having a reaction to sweet onions. When you did or do have triggers where does it hit you?
I don't have a formal diagnosis, but I believe my reflux is a result of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, as sticking to a Low FODMAPS diet controls my symptoms.

I have been experimenting with just eating the green stems/leaves of onions to get at least a little of that oniony flavor, and it actually seems to work pretty well, although I sure miss that strong onion hit in my food. FODMAPS are particular carbohydrates that are difficult to digest, and the bulb parts of onions are carb storage organs.

I have the same issue with garlic too, drat it all.

YMMV.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:02 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I have silent reflux, too, and find if I snack on nuts at night, I feel like - well, really bad come morning. Tomatoes are acidic and can cause it, too. It does vary from person to person what sets it off and amounts, as the poster said above, can play a big part. Overeating is a trigger even if it's all safe foods.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:17 AM

28 posts, read 15,774 times
The tests say that people shouldn't eat a lot of products while they suffer from reflux. but for some of them some of the products doesn't make any reaction. So everyone reacts differently, but I would say that you can eat the nuts, but it should be a small amounts and always with meal (make sure you bite them hard and thoroughly). But if we would consider almond butter or any nut butter I would say it is too tough for digest for person with reflux.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:18 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
An overactive sympathetic nervous system (real or imagined stresses) causes most stomach problems at the root. Avoiding foods will treat the symptoms but not the cause. Ever wonder why some people can eat and drink whatever they want, be fat, and not have problems? A lot of health conscious people as a whole are more stressed than the general population. They have all these barriers and defenses in place to achieve strict goals but burn themselves out in the process.

Learning how to relax, let loose, be happy, laugh, roll with the punches and accept life's circumstances (stop resisting what is) , be present and mindful, and control negative rumination...this is the single biggest thing people can do to improve their lives... and reduce GERD, LPR and delayed emptying (gastroparesis). Cultivate that parasympathetic nervous system.

That said for me carbs and alcohol bring it on...because my nervous system is not perfect yet. Bad food combinations like pizza with the carbs and tomato sauce... Gluten in excess especially even though neither me nor anyone in my family is gluten sensitive. When your nervous system is stressed things just dont work optimally...

Its possible theres an NAFLD component as well, so I'm experimenting upping my intake of both betaine and sunflower lechitin. Too much fructose and carbs in general fatten up the liver especially in the absence of choline. Fat will also fatten up the liver which is why things like pie and twinkies are a bad combination... Considering that I've been avoiding gluten which is the largest source of betaine in most peoples diets, without consuming choline from things like egg yolks the liver can build up fat fairly quickly.

If any of these work 100% I'll report back.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-29-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness