Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 2,842,110 times

Advertisements

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-...waiting-lists/

That's a guy in Wales. 50 week wait time for knee replacement!! I am in the US and I had to wait almost 4 months for surgery on my 5th degree separated shoulder. I was in so much pain that I missed 2 months of work. I went to 4 doctors but no one would agree to do the surgery quickly. I am wondering if next time I need surgery should I consider Lithuania of some other country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 03:24 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
There is no way in Hell that I would go anywhere outside the US

Old 07-09-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There is no way in Hell that I would go anywhere outside the US
How much pain have you experienced? I was bedridden for months. Of course that would have made a flight to Lithuania nearly impossible too.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
How much pain have you experienced? I was bedridden for months. Of course that would have made a flight to Lithuania nearly impossible too.
OP: So you had shoulder surgery in the U.S.? It's not an easy surgery, a friend first had some surgery done and then a year later did the total replacement and it's taken it's toll on her. I deal with two problem shoulders but won't go to the surgery route. I can live with my issues and have different types of treatments done.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 AM

6,063 posts, read 4,420,928 times
I don't know anything about Lithuania, but if you do your homework and know what you're getting yourself into, and the reputation of the country/facility for the surgery you need, there's no reason not to do it. The idea that only the US turns out competent doctors is just bigotry. But do your homework, no kidding.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: So you had shoulder surgery in the U.S.? It's not an easy surgery, a friend first had some surgery done and then a year later did the total replacement and it's taken it's toll on her. I deal with two problem shoulders but won't go to the surgery route. I can live with my issues and have different types of treatments done.
Reattaching a separated shoulder isn't that big a deal. It took less than 2 hours. I have a high tolerance for pain - I lost a molar because it got infected when impacted by a wisdom tooth. I've had 2 kidney stones and drove myself to the hospital during the second one. But when this shoulder deteriorated I could only be on my feet for a few hours per day before the pain got to be too much. The pain went away when I was laying in bed, so I was in bed 18-20 hours per day. Even percocet didn't help. It was THAT bad.

Lithuania's not some underdeveloped country. From 2015:
Quote:
According to the latest analysis from the International Monetary Fund, Lithuania has moved from an emerging market into a mature economy.
https://www.baltictimes.com/imf_-_li...oping_economy/

Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
OP: I guess I'm still missing it..are you a happy camper now and all is good with your shoulder issues? You had the surgery done right? Here in the U.S. right? And you are asking about going to another country to do it? Maybe it's the knee you want to go to another country to do...

Old 07-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I guess I'm still missing it..are you a happy camper now and all is good with your shoulder issues? You had the surgery done right? Here in the U.S. right? And you are asking about going to another country to do it? Maybe it's the knee you want to go to another country to do...
Yes I had it done. But I might need surgery again someday and I want to know if anyone else has had experience with other countries like Lithuania. I just heard a bout a woman who died getting lipo in the Dominican republic. Would never go to a country like that for surgery.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-...waiting-lists/

That's a guy in Wales. 50 week wait time for knee replacement!! I am in the US and I had to wait almost 4 months for surgery on my 5th degree separated shoulder. I was in so much pain that I missed 2 months of work. I went to 4 doctors but no one would agree to do the surgery quickly. I am wondering if next time I need surgery should I consider Lithuania of some other country?
Can't understand why you have to wait so long, but regardless the answer is simply :NO!! Why in the world would you really think that would be the way to go? When I had knee replacement I had to wait about a month for an open date,maybe a few weeks longer.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:01 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,215,903 times
IDK how you came upon Lithuania, but I've heard Thailand is quite good in the surgery-for-Westerners field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness