Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cologuard Test Result: Negative or Positive?
Negative. No further screening necessary. 12 80.00%
Positive: Colonoscopy recommended. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 11:48 PM

312 posts, read 275,304 times

Advertisements

Negative.

My local provider failed to get a preauthorization and they tried to bill me $750 for this test. I filed an appeal and eventually it was covered via Medicare Advantage. Close call. Be sure to check if this is preauthorized and covered before agreeing to this test, which you have to sign for. I suspect PAs are pushing these kits for the kickbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 12:54 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,255,794 times
There are other threads on colonoscopies (although they tend to get closed). I really just wanted to ask that specific question about Cologuard. I know from their information what percent of positives are "false," what percent are cancer, what percent are small, harmless polyps, etc. But what I didn't see in their information was what percent of Cologuard tests come out positive and what percent negative.

To discuss the value of colonoscopy or the best prep system, maybe someone could start a different thread.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:05 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,983,213 times
Mine was a false positive.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:09 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,983,213 times
the powers that be.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,654,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
the powers that be.
Thank you! I had no idea. I thought he was referring to one specific mod and couldn't for the life of me, figure out what that meant.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 11,997,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I used a Suprep kit. It was a lot simpler and cheaper than going for a full blown colonoscopy exam which is a lot more expensive. The advantage is that you can do it at home in the privacy of your own bathroom. The kit was supplied free, but there was a charge for the hospital's lab results. With Medicare and a supplementary health insurance, the out of pocket expense was very low. If the result of the stool sample show some issues, then a colonoscopy is a good follow up. I've used the Suprep test 2 or 3 times. The results have been negative. I've had a colonoscopy done a few times. They removed a few polyps and the lab test results on the polyps were also negative.

My wife has used the kit treatment also. In her case, a little bit of blood was found by the lab, and some kind of risky bacteria. She took antibiotics to clear the bacteria, but went in to the hospital for a colonoscopy to check on the blood issue. The amount was not visible to the eye. About 3 polyps were removed and examined. The lab results were negative for cancer.
Guess as most of us know, the Cologuard test is reported as positive whether it's for blood, or cancer markers, and it doesn't distinguish between these. So I'd expect a few positive results from those with hemorrhoids that sometimes bleed, other intestinal issues, and even a small amount of bleeding from other GI sources that aren't cancer.

The test for blood is qualitative, not quantitative, and the test is designed to be sensitive to small amounts of blood in the stool as any amount is considered abnormal. It also doesn't indicate where in the GI tract the blood is coming from (wouldn't that be nice-would have saved me from a colonoscopy last, I guess, as my positive occult blood was apparently coming from bleeding gastric ulcers. I coulda just had the upper endoscopies, as my colonoscopy showed normal results. Hindsight, LOL. .

I think it was likely your wife had H. pylori, a bacteria that colonizes the GI tracts of about half a given population. This bacteria can cause ulcers, gastritis and gastric inflammation and they tend to treat it with antibiotics when they find it, especially in a person showing GI signs or symptoms.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Just get the colonoscopy. It's not a big deal at all.
No, not a big deal but still if you can take a test that is not evasive in any way, it is better than something that can be invasive. I think most of us would be happier with a simple go, got, gone than drink, live in the bathroom 1/2 the might, get up at 4am,off the the hospital, have a shot or a handful of pills and then have someone drive you home.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:58 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,602,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Guess as most of us know, the Cologuard test is reported as positive whether it's for blood, or cancer markers, and it doesn't distinguish between these. So I'd expect a few positive results from those with hemorrhoids that sometimes bleed, other intestinal issues, and even a small amount of bleeding from other GI sources that aren't cancer.

The test for blood is qualitative, not quantitative, and the test is designed to be sensitive to small amounts of blood in the stool as any amount is considered abnormal. It also doesn't indicate where in the GI tract the blood is coming from (wouldn't that be nice-would have saved me from a colonoscopy last, I guess, as my positive occult blood was apparently coming from bleeding gastric ulcers. I coulda just had the upper endoscopies, as my colonoscopy showed normal results. Hindsight, LOL. .

I think it was likely your wife had H. pylori, a bacteria that colonizes the GI tracts of about half a given population. This bacteria can cause ulcers, gastritis and gastric inflammation and they tend to treat it with antibiotics when they find it, especially in a person showing GI signs or symptoms.
You're quite right. It's likely that the blood present (again not in amounts detectable by the eye) was probably from small hemorrhoids. And the bacteria was indeed found to be H. pylori. She was given a endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy. I've had the same thing done. Following the procedure, the lab also looked for signs of the bacteria, and found no signs and that the antibiotic accomplished what it was supposed to.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:01 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,602,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, not a big deal but still if you can take a test that is not evasive in any way, it is better than something that can be invasive. I think most of us would be happier with a simple go, got, gone than drink, live in the bathroom 1/2 the might, get up at 4am,off the the hospital, have a shot or a handful of pills and then have someone drive you home.
LOL! Yes, living in the bathroom pretty well sums up the night before such a procedure.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,416,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Just get the colonoscopy. It's not a big deal at all.
The colonoscopy isn't the bad part. It's the prep FOR the colonoscopy the day before that is killer!
Personally, at 66 I would not do anything if I had a positive result for either test, but I have so many spine issues that I am not into prolonging my life much any more. Eight levels of titanium is enough; and I still have pain each and every day. Luckily, nobody in my family on any side has had colon cancer. I have the ColoGuard sitting on my desk at home now x 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness