Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cologuard Test Result: Negative or Positive?
Negative. No further screening necessary. 12 80.00%
Positive: Colonoscopy recommended. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,249,737 times

Advertisements

In reading through a couple of colonoscopy threads I noticed several mentions of the new Cologuard test. Everyone who mentioned it also said they got a positive result.

Maybe that's because people with a result of "negative" have no interest in reading and commenting on threads about colonoscopy. But I'm curious - anyone here have a "negative"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 08:46 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,733,834 times
I was negative and so was my friend who used it. I don't know anyone else who has used it so don't know what kind of sample that is.

I did find it a bit awkward to use - you need to be right on target, if you know what I mean. It might not be a good idea for someone with balance issues. In fact, I'd had a bad fall and severely injured my leg the day before the test arrived. I had to postpone the doing the test until I could accurately land on the toilet seat without wobbling. Even after I could maneuver, I had to be careful not to let #1 intrude on the collection pot. I'd suggest doing #1 prior to setting up the collection pot to avoid that problem. I'm a woman, by the way, as that makes a difference in technique. I mentioned the awkwardness to my doctor and he said he'd take that into consideration when prescribing it for patients with mobility problems.

Beats a colonoscopy as far as I'm concerned . . . that prep stuff is truly vile.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,733,834 times
I forgot to vote when I posted so now I have. Don't want to skew your results!

Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,580,991 times
I could have voted if I had used the "kit" my doc gave me probably 15 yrs ago or so, I never used it and never had any of the tests and I'm fine going on 81.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:55 PM

5,406 posts, read 3,970,897 times
15 years ago it would have been a fecal occult blood test, not a Cologuard, which tests for blood and cancer markers.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,580,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
15 years ago it would have been a fecal occult blood test, not a Cologuard, which tests for blood and cancer markers.
OK, whatever it was never used it. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:02 PM

17,352 posts, read 13,092,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I could have voted if I had used the "kit" my doc gave me probably 15 yrs ago or so, I never used it and never had any of the tests and I'm fine going on 81.

Wasn't Cologuard, it was only released to the public five years ago https://www.exactsciences.com/newsro...s-fda-approval

Old 07-14-2019, 03:15 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,178,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

You say this as though it proves testing does not make a difference. I know 2 people dead of colon cancer in their 50s that probably wish they had had a test before it was too late. Naturally it might not have saved them - who knows?

Old 07-14-2019, 09:57 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,148,089 times
Just get the colonoscopy. It's not a big deal at all.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,598,031 times
I used a Suprep kit. It was a lot simpler and cheaper than going for a full blown colonoscopy exam which is a lot more expensive. The advantage is that you can do it at home in the privacy of your own bathroom. The kit was supplied free, but there was a charge for the hospital's lab results. With Medicare and a supplementary health insurance, the out of pocket expense was very low. If the result of the stool sample show some issues, then a colonoscopy is a good follow up. I've used the Suprep test 2 or 3 times. The results have been negative. I've had a colonoscopy done a few times. They removed a few polyps and the lab test results on the polyps were also negative.

My wife has used the kit treatment also. In her case, a little bit of blood was found by the lab, and some kind of risky bacteria. She took antibiotics to clear the bacteria, but went in to the hospital for a colonoscopy to check on the blood issue. The amount was not visible to the eye. About 3 polyps were removed and examined. The lab results were negative for cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness