Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,475,393 times

Advertisements

Valerian root is a non-addictive natural muscle relaxant that works well to overcome insomnia. It is the most effective supplement that I have used & I always toss in my travel bag. The other thing you can do is take calcium in the morning and magnesium at night. Magnesium promotes sleep & your body has to have a supply of calcium in order to use the magnesium.

But the simplest thing I do if I can't fall asleep is --heat up a rice pack in the microwave & put it right under the arches of my feet so my feet rest on it. That is an accupressure point. I will be sound asleep way before the rice cools down--no matter what time of day.

**diy rice pack--very cheap white rice poured into men's tube sock & knotted shut ...with another sock overall & knotted....heat for 2min 15sec in microwave (maybe less).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 02:11 AM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, some of the medications so far, will put me to sleep for a few hours like 3-4, but that's it. And even that wears off once I develop a tolerance to it, or if I cannot be on it long term. The doctor said I am just going through stress and need to reduce that, but I feel that I need something to get me through the current run still.
If you find something, let me know. I rarely sleep for more than three hours at a time.

Stress aces sleep meds. I've taken many, and none of them work long term. I get a week or three out of one, and when that's over, I'm posting on C-D at 3 AM.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:22 AM

21,420 posts, read 8,629,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Marijuana edibles can be helpful. I have insomnia too. Usually a 1/2 of a 5 milligram Ambien does the trick. Since Ambien does not work for you look to the edibles.
If pot is not legal in your state you can get a medical marijuana card easily online and order your edibles that way too.
This is not true. It is illegal to ship cannabis products, even within a legal state, because the Federal government classifies cannabis as a Schedule I substance (no medical value, high risk of addiction). Of course this is nonsense, but until things change you have to either live in a state where it's legal or travel out of state for it. You can, however, buy CBD products because they contain undetectable levels of THC and don't cause intoxication. CBD does seem to help with relaxation, though some people have better results than others. It's best to avoid Amazon sellers, some of whom are hawking cheap industrial hemp oil out there that contains very little or no CBD. I recommend checking online reviews and buying directly from the manufacturer.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:01 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,972,433 times
The best I find for occasional insomnia is good old Valium, as little as 2.5 mg. I have tried Xanax, which makes me hungover in the morning, stumbling and swaying as I get up; and Ambien, 4 hours of great sleep and then 4 hours of NO sleep, even the CR.

But the best thing for me is physical activity. On the 3 afternoons a week when I am very physically active, I have no trouble falling asleep. If it's a rainy day and I am stuck inside, then I have trouble sleeping that night.

Another thing I am trying is limiting screen time for an hour or so before sleep. Not a problem as I love to read in bed.

My other tip is to have the electric clock on the other side of the room. So many people have it right next to their head on the night stand. They give off EMF's that can interfere with your sleep. Also keeping the room dark helps.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:22 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,171,783 times
Have you tries asleep mask?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,767,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This is not true. It is illegal to ship cannabis products, even within a legal state, because the Federal government classifies cannabis as a Schedule I substance (no medical value, high risk of addiction). Of course this is nonsense, but until things change you have to either live in a state where it's legal or travel out of state for it. You can, however, buy CBD products because they contain undetectable levels of THC and don't cause intoxication. CBD does seem to help with relaxation, though some people have better results than others. It's best to avoid Amazon sellers, some of whom are hawking cheap industrial hemp oil out there that contains very little or no CBD. I recommend checking online reviews and buying directly from the manufacturer.
Thanks for the clarification. Purkana is a great producer of CBD products. They are a little pricey but they are the real deal.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Marijuana edibles can be helpful. I have insomnia too. Usually a 1/2 of a 5 milligram Ambien does the trick. Since Ambien does not work for you look to the edibles.
If pot is not legal in your state you can get a medical marijuana card easily online and order your edibles that way too.

for you that may work but there are better ways. Just the cost alone can be mind boggling. I know in Ca it is a lot cheaper. My brother uses it in CA. Here in Ar we just started selling it for medical purposes. YOU do have to have permission from a doctor and pay a fee of $300.00 just to be able to get it and then the cost is another issue. I am not taking sides, I am just saying mail order will not work for everyone.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,466,335 times
There seem to be two neurotransmitters that influence sleep: GABA and serotonin. Things like valerian root, tryptophan, passion flower, Ambien, valium, etc. help via the GABA route. Other things help if the problem is with serotonin. A dr will prescribe Trazadone to raise serotonin but if your problem is GABA, then raising serotonin is mostly useless.

Certain medications are known to lower your GABA levels, as will prolonged stress. I was on one of those medications for a while and it ruined my sleep. None of the above sources of GABA seem to be enough but what's interesting, is that research is being done on GABA and actually getting it into the brain. It does not cross the blood brain barrier--but they are discovering new ways so that it can!

You can buy GABA in a health food store but it probably won't work, not even "Pharmagaba." BUT they are starting to come out with combinations of GABA with other ingredients and it apparently can work, although it's still "iffy" and more research is needed.

The Japanese seem to be doing the most research. There's a theory that GABA supplements work for them because of the Japanese diet. They eat fermented foods. Something in the gut works to get the GABA into the brain. So you could try eating yogurt at bedtime--"good" yogurt, not the sugary kind. Also, cocoa, has some effect on GABA. Korean or Japanese diet seems to hold the key though.

Whatever "good" bacteria is present in the fermented foods that the Japanese eat, that seems to be the trick to getting it into the brain so that it can work.

(This is mostly a hodgepodge of things I've read and not very much is known yet. But IF you can get the GABA into the brain, it's supposed to be as good as an antidepressant or a sleeping pill. Here's just one article about the beneficial microorganisms--pretty complicated and long to read, but for anyone whose interested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...jm-43-1230.pdf

Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,583,472 times
You will get really screwed up eventually with all these meds! Also, if you are older many pose an even larger danger.....note, "doctor" will often not tell you such things these days.....

Having been through a lot of this and also loving my sleep (and now being older - older people don't sleep as well), I can offer the following......

Exercise - a tired body and mind are more likely to sleep.

Mediation - even 10 minutes in the evening will like help - sometimes a lot.

Sleep exercises - there are things you can do once in bed that really help....one is starting at your toes and tensing and releasing all your muscles (look it up).

Make certain of conditions suiting you - some like white noise, some like very dark (sleep masks are good for some, earplugs for others).

In terms of medications, more does not mean better. They should be used in addition to the above, not instead of it. Your body and mind can likely fight just about any medication (fight or flight is often the root cause of insomnia).

Melatonin is probably the least dangerous - use only 1-3mg.
Tylenol PM.....will likely put you out, but you get a hangover. Sometimes just 1/2 will do.
Light Tranqs - Ativan, etc. - again, small doses....
Amiben and the like - these are the heavy-duty stuff and only for occasional use.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,466,335 times
Also, check out insomnia meditations by people such as Jason Stephenson. There are about a million to choose from on You Tube or if you have Alexa, she can get them for you too if you ask nicely, lol. Jason Stephenson really takes you away-if you want to, you can be floating above your town and seeing all the lights, you can be in some ancient land, you can even float around the planets. Usually he will put you to sleep, but even if he doesn't you will not be bored!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness