Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 06:29 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,043,512 times

Advertisements

Oh okay I already have heavy curtains but I could try more. I didn't think noise was the problem though, but maybe. Actually I tried taking three times the amount of melatonin as I did before, and that is helping lately. I still wake up earlier than intended cause it wears off, but it helps sleep for a few hours. I am so tired in the morning though as a result, but maybe it's worth it for a few hours of sleep. I feel I will probably develop a tolerance to this too after a few times though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times
OP: What you working with now, as you've been given so many suggestions over a pretty long while and I want to say something AGAIN but wonder why as I've mentioned so much to you.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 PM

Oh right now I'm trying melatonin and lavender. I wanted to try some of the other options but the stores did not have them unless I am looking at the wrong stores.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,034,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I've tried melatonin, and tryptophan and lavender as suggested, but they only work sometimes, but not all the time, plus I keep waking up during the night still at some point, and it's hard to get back to sleep.

I'm starting to think maybe all this herbal stuff is inferior, hence why the the pharmaceutical industry, has the herbal industry beat?

No, you have to find the combination that addresses all the causes of your insomnia. Sometimes self-diagnosis is spot on and sometimes it's not. There are many others you could try besides lavender - chamomile, catnip, skullcap, st. john's wort, hops, vervain, linden, passionflower, lemon balm to name a few. Most people need a combination, but the underlying causes have to be correctly identified in order to know what might work best. Diet and lifestyle changes may be necessary too.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times
There are so many choices to TRY to work with for one's body. I had a fitful night last night, I woke up shivering for starters, it's August and it's chilly here...so that shivering woke me. So I took a Calms Forte' homeopathic tablet, and also put on jacket and got back to a deep sleep and dreams.

I also know Inositol works for me and also Tryptophan and B6 together.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
No, you have to find the combination that addresses all the causes of your insomnia. Sometimes self-diagnosis is spot on and sometimes it's not. There are many others you could try besides lavender - chamomile, catnip, skullcap, st. john's wort, hops, vervain, linden, passionflower, lemon balm to name a few. Most people need a combination, but the underlying causes have to be correctly identified in order to know what might work best. Diet and lifestyle changes may be necessary too.
Oh okay. I think it's mostly stress that is causing it. So would I be better taking something that is good at combating stress perhaps?

Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 AM

23,105 posts, read 28,829,719 times
You may have a "Wild Monkey" problem, that's what is referred to as the mind, jumping here, jumping there, and the mind feels lost/lonely/neglected without entertainment in the form of thoughts. Try some thoughtlessness/mindlessness, and you may then fall asleep standing up. But it's not an easy task, try 10 seconds first with no thoughts in your head, and then move to 15 seconds and longer.

Sounds like you have an over-active mind!

I take 2 Tylenol PM's every night and 5 mg. of Melatonin, and I get a good 8 hours every night.

Sleep is ultra-important as sleep is very healing to the body.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Well my gf says I have a lot of adrenaline, so if that's true, I need to cut down it, or so I think it might help.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:40 AM

2,434 posts, read 2,430,397 times
Yoga works for me. Get on YouTube and find a routine you like, and then do it right before bed. That said, it may not work for you, but it would be worth a try.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:52 AM

3,007 posts, read 1,971,162 times
Op
You already have a list of OTC meds that don't work for you, I don't have any to add (melatonin not good for me at all). Generic Benadryl really put me to sleep but then of course studies came out showing that it was correlated to Alzheimers. Meaning: not causing Alzheimers but people who got Alzheimers took more Benadryl than people who didn't . Buh-bye Benadryl (sad face) I loved you.

My sleep is affected by food. Although many people think tryptophan helps them (it's in turkey and milk products) I've noticed that ice cream (organic, not junky) makes me sleepless, possibly it's the sugar. Physical activity early in the day helps me sleep better. Gonna go find the CBD skin oil and see if that helps.

Take a look at what you are eating/drinking after dinner. See if it makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness