Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM

8,716 posts, read 4,970,916 times

Advertisements

If I need blood work done, and can`t have coffee.....I do have brain fog. I get in the car, and I have to think, where to put the key, for a second. My hands also shake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:18 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,044,970 times
Maybe you have a genetic predisposition to atypical caffeine metabolism? Have you ever done DNA with health data? You can check out your risk here:

https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/caf...nd-your-genes/

Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,522,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Does anyone else here get severe withdrawal symptoms when they can’t get their cup o’ Joe in the morning?

I love coffee, but discontinued use (and have avoided all caffeine for about 4 years now) due to severe withdrawal symptoms. Not just feeling blah, or getting a bad head-ache, but also tremors and repeated violent vomiting to the point of dry heaves. The last time this happened to me, my hands were shaking so badly I could barely make myself the cup of coffee I needed to feel like I wasn’t actually dying.

So has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, did you just quit? Did you discuss the issue with your doctor? Did you find a way to manage anyway?

I would really like to start up again, particularly since I have read that coffee in moderation can have health benefits. It can be protective against Parkinson’s (which my father had) and liver disease (which I might have), for example.

I realize that I could just start up again and just taper off instead of going cold turkey if I wanted to stop. And in fact that was what I was doing. But you can find yourself in a situation where you just can’t have coffee/tea/whatever for one reason or another. And I would worry about that. (What actually happened the last time I got really sick was that I had discovered Kombucha and had a bottle every day one week without realizing the beverage was caffeinated. I discovered that the hard way on the weekend.)

So, is there anyone here, who risks severe withdrawal symptoms like that but has found a safe way of drinking anyway?
Wow. I've never heard of severe symptoms like that for caffeine withdrawal. Whenever I'd tried it, I'd get a dull headache that wouldn't go away, regardless of pain relievers. The only relief was to start caffeine again. I'd only stopped it for a diet or something.

I have no desire to give up caffeine, though. It has some good qualities. Everything in moderation. I'm of French ancestry, so coffee in the morning is in my blood. C'est bon! (I have given up diet soft drinks, though, except for an occasional one. I drink home brewed sugar free green tea, instead.)

Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,556,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Does anyone else here get severe withdrawal symptoms when they can’t get their cup o’ Joe in the morning?

I love coffee, but discontinued use (and have avoided all caffeine for about 4 years now) due to severe withdrawal symptoms. Not just feeling blah, or getting a bad head-ache, but also tremors and repeated violent vomiting to the point of dry heaves. The last time this happened to me, my hands were shaking so badly I could barely make myself the cup of coffee I needed to feel like I wasn’t actually dying.

So has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, did you just quit? Did you discuss the issue with your doctor? Did you find a way to manage anyway?

I would really like to start up again, particularly since I have read that coffee in moderation can have health benefits. It can be protective against Parkinson’s (which my father had) and liver disease (which I might have), for example.

I realize that I could just start up again and just taper off instead of going cold turkey if I wanted to stop. And in fact that was what I was doing. But you can find yourself in a situation where you just can’t have coffee/tea/whatever for one reason or another. And I would worry about that. (What actually happened the last time I got really sick was that I had discovered Kombucha and had a bottle every day one week without realizing the beverage was caffeinated. I discovered that the hard way on the weekend.)

So, is there anyone here, who risks severe withdrawal symptoms like that but has found a safe way of drinking anyway?

I think people have wildly different reaction to caffeine and withdrawal from it. I tolerate caffeine very well. I know when I use it and it gives me a slight amount of alertness. On the other hand, I can drink a cup of coffee and immediately go to bed and it doesn't bother my sleep.

Around 20 years ago I ran several marathons. At the time there was a theory that caffeine could help with marathon running, it was something to do with fat burning. The understanding at the time was this only worked if you didn't use caffeine or you went cold turkey for a week. So a week before the marathon, I went into my carb loading and caffeine avoidance phase. I missed the but did not have withdrawal symptoms, until the night before the marathon when I woke up early with a piercing headache. I was probably the worst headache of my life. I was staying at my in-laws house and was up at 4:30 AM looking for coffee but they had switched to decaf. I finally found a bottle of regular instant coffee hidden in their kitchen cupboards. The coffee quickly eliminated the headache. I know this is hard to believe but a year later, the situation was repeated. I think I was ready for it this time and had brought coffee to my in-law's house. In both of these situations, I had flushed all the caffeine out of my system. It took a week of caffeine avoidance and plenty of hydration to flush the caffeine. What was weird is I got the same exact withdrawal symptoms at around the same time before each marathon. Both times the symptoms disappeared after 1-2 cups of coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness