Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,683,704 times

Advertisements

It's all about what kinda insurance coverage you have. Last time my mom was in the hospital they kept her for 2 weeks. Checking this, checking that. I get it, she's old. But asking one of my wifes friends who is an RN she mentioned about having real good insurance so they ran tests for everything knowing they were gonna get paid. Made sense after I thought about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
This happened to my mom, my dad, and also my friends mom. Dismiss them to soon. My moms case was a colon blockage, my dad dehydration and problem with meds, and my friends mom a heart attack. All had episodes and needed to go back. When my husband went to the hospital per the dr request because his WBC was high and they thought he had pneumonia (which he didn’t) they gave him the option to admit him. We ended up not staying and he was fine. So for people on Medicare they don’t want to admit but people who will have to pay a ton of money that insurance doesn’t cover....they want you to stay.
Might be bc medicare tells hospitals you have X number of days to cure this patient and after that, we quit paying.

It's sick.
Take it up with your government.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:54 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,333,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have had friends, after open heart surgery released in just a few days
Really? What was he doing in there for so long?

Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,175,145 times
Our local hospital has visiting nurses come out right after discharge. They come in daily to check on you and it is Medicare covered. They are very good about this. My mother-in-law was discharged and staying with us. The visiting nurse went over to her house on a Sunday evening and she did not answer the door (because she was at our house). The nurse found our address, which is 6 miles from town and drove out. Our gate was shut and she climbed the fence and walked to the house and rang the doorbell. She said she always pursues making contact right after discharge because she has found many people on the floor in dire need of help. She came out daily for 2 weeks. They do an assessment and figure out if you need any rehab help. If you do, they have a person come out to the house. They check vitals and make sure you are doing okay.

Medicare now pays for transitional care management and the hospital gets reimbursed for calling and checking on people after discharge. They have every incentive to do this because if their readmission rate is too high, they get dinged on their Medicare payments.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Hospitals want to release patients as soon as reasonable safe as its often best for the patient but also don’t want readmission because Medicare and other insurance companies are now saying they won’t pay for readmissions if it could have been addressed on the initial stay.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:37 AM

50,339 posts, read 35,989,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Our local hospital has visiting nurses come out right after discharge. They come in daily to check on you and it is Medicare covered. They are very good about this. My mother-in-law was discharged and staying with us. The visiting nurse went over to her house on a Sunday evening and she did not answer the door (because she was at our house). The nurse found our address, which is 6 miles from town and drove out. Our gate was shut and she climbed the fence and walked to the house and rang the doorbell. She said she always pursues making contact right after discharge because she has found many people on the floor in dire need of help. She came out daily for 2 weeks. They do an assessment and figure out if you need any rehab help. If you do, they have a person come out to the house. They check vitals and make sure you are doing okay.

Medicare now pays for transitional care management and the hospital gets reimbursed for calling and checking on people after discharge. They have every incentive to do this because if their readmission rate is too high, they get dinged on their Medicare payments.
That has been the case for decades and it’s not hospital specific. Medicare covers home care or subacute rehab after a three day hospitalization.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I hate it when I catch a case of the staff.
Smarty pants.
My hit and run posting might have been done under the influence...pui as it were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness