Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:45 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,972,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That is not certain, read her posts, it's suspected. Why so many here have her already dx'd with lymphoma..I read and re-read her posts..

There is a huge difference between likely and certainly. How about this: good chance she does NOT.
She will not know for sure until the biopsy is done, but the OP says she has risk factors for lymphoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 12:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,385,794 times
Well, my biopsy will happen tomorrow. So hopefully I will have some clarity soon.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Today, I saw the ENT to whom my oncologist referred me. The idea is that he was going to exam me, then set up an excisional biopsy of a lymph node/tumor. Both my PCP and my oncologist told me they think I have lymphoma.

The very first thing that happened was that the nurse told me they had an extra copy of the report from my oncologist’s office. Would I like to have a copy?

I thought was a little strange, but, sure, why not?

Well ... it was really eye-opening. My oncologist repeatedly suggests that I am a chronic smoker and drinker and am lying about it! For the record, I am a “never smoker.” Not even one drag once. Not even marijuana. Nothing. However, when I saw him for my initial visit, the very first thing he said: “Well you smoke! You said you don’t smoke but you do!” I have never had any medical professional act like that before, so I was perplexed. Eventually after about 5 back and forth accusation and denials, I said: you know I walked up the stairs, instead of taking the elevator. Maybe people smoke in the stairwell?” He seemed to agree with me and I thought the issue was solved but apparently not.

In the report, he appears absolutely obsessed by this — he brings it up in no less than 5 different places in the report. He also states that I was “counseled on the health risks of excessive alcohol use.” Um, what? I have not had a single drink in 3 years. Before that I was a very light social drinker (one glass of wine a week).

Anyway, although the oncologist told me in the office that he suspected lymphoma, lymphoma appears nowhere in the report he sent to the ENT. It’s just all about my “smoking,” my “chronic cough” (I had a bad head cold when I saw him, with a cough), that fact that I look “malnourished and chronically ill” (got a good laugh out of that one).

So, the ENT tells me they are going to do a fine needle aspiration. I said, that is not how you diagnose lymphoma. What are you looking for? He finally said that he suspects me of having squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus! I said ... hmmm... that is actually kind of rare. I think lymphoma is more common (OK, there is no “I think” about it, I was just being polite.) Maybe it is more common in smokers and drinkers? Hmmm?

Just feeling so incredibly peeved about this.
Well, that's the pits.

I would insist on talking to the oncologist. Tell him you do not smoke and your family and friends will confirm it. You have the right to add a note to your record disputing anything you think is incorrect. The doctor cannot just delete the information in the chart. He would have to add a note that confirms that it is incorrect.

Tell the ENT you want the node removed, not aspirated, ASAP. If he will not do it, ask for a referral to someone who will. Fine needle aspiration has a greater risk of a false negative.

Tell both of them that if further delay results in a worse prognosis for you that they will not be happy with what happens.

In this community that node would have been removed within days after you first saw a doctor about it.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's correct and that's why she is doctoring as she is, but it's mind blowing how so many have people in dread health conditions and they are not Sure...it happens so much here, over and over. Always thinking the worst...as I read it. Continuing to plant negative seeds can bring on the negative outcomes.
Assuming it is not lymphoma could be fatal.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:14 PM

14,852 posts, read 11,986,213 times
Quote:
Thanks.

I have a good friend who is a retired health professional. She said I should get my PCP to contact the oncologist and have him change the record.

I also went ahead and made an appointment at a well-known cancer center. Unfortunately they need all my recent medical records including this stupid report. ☹️☹️☹️
I think that's what I'd do in your shoes too. IMO your PCP should be made aware of how you were treated at the oncologist's and
ENT that he referred you to.

Hopefully your PCP has your correct history, will get the oncologist to change the incorrect/misleading information in your records-can you keep tabs on that by looking at your online records there via their patient portal?

The cancer center should get records from your PCP as well as the one you mentioned, and should note any inconsistencies in
your personal or health history. Hopefully when you see them, you can correct any inconsistencies and ensure they get the correct information.

It occurred to me as I read your original post that the oncologist and ENT didn't examine you very closely if they assumed you must be a chronic long term smoker because you smelled like you walked through a smoke filled room. Big difference between smelling a bit of second hand smoke on your clothing or hair, perhaps, and the physical findings on examination of a long term chain smoker.

So sorry this happened to you, and hopefully it'll be straightened out and you'll be on your way to a correct diagnosis and treatment soon.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:17 PM

14,852 posts, read 11,986,213 times
Quote:
Well, my biopsy will happen tomorrow. So hopefully I will have some clarity soon.
Lymph node biopsy, hopefully?

Wishing you the best.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 PM

22,945 posts, read 18,241,391 times
Quote:
So, the ENT tells me they are going to do a fine needle aspiration. I said, that is not how you diagnose lymphoma. What are you looking for? He finally said that he suspects me of having squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus! I said ... hmmm... that is actually kind of rare. I think lymphoma is more common (OK, there is no “I think” about it, I was just being polite.) Maybe it is more common in smokers and drinkers? Hmmm?

FWIW, I probably wouldn't have told the ENT how lymphoma is diagnosed or expounded on the rarity/frequency of other cancers. It put you in the position of a know-it-all, someone to dismiss, disprove, or challenge instead of someone who should be worked with collaboratively. Believe me I completely understand how upsetting that consultation was. I would have put an end to the appointment after the accusations and walked out, arranged to get another opinion, and filed a complaint about the obvious chart notes dis-connect later. Sort of the epitome of "getting the last word".

Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,531,460 times
Quote:
Today, I saw the ENT to whom my oncologist referred me. The idea is that he was going to exam me, then set up an excisional biopsy of a lymph node/tumor. Both my PCP and my oncologist told me they think I have lymphoma.

The very first thing that happened was that the nurse told me they had an extra copy of the report from my oncologist’s office. Would I like to have a copy?

I thought was a little strange, but, sure, why not?

Well ... it was really eye-opening. My oncologist repeatedly suggests that I am a chronic smoker and drinker and am lying about it! For the record, I am a “never smoker.” Not even one drag once. Not even marijuana. Nothing. However, when I saw him for my initial visit, the very first thing he said: “Well you smoke! You said you don’t smoke but you do!” I have never had any medical professional act like that before, so I was perplexed. Eventually after about 5 back and forth accusation and denials, I said: you know I walked up the stairs, instead of taking the elevator. Maybe people smoke in the stairwell?” He seemed to agree with me and I thought the issue was solved but apparently not.

In the report, he appears absolutely obsessed by this — he brings it up in no less than 5 different places in the report. He also states that I was “counseled on the health risks of excessive alcohol use.” Um, what? I have not had a single drink in 3 years. Before that I was a very light social drinker (one glass of wine a week).

Anyway, although the oncologist told me in the office that he suspected lymphoma, lymphoma appears nowhere in the report he sent to the ENT. It’s just all about my “smoking,” my “chronic cough” (I had a bad head cold when I saw him, with a cough), that fact that I look “malnourished and chronically ill” (got a good laugh out of that one).

Time to fire that jacka$$, and look for a better one. Who needs that. On the positive side, you are allowed copies of your tests, and medical records, from what I understand. It's good that you got a copy so you could see what he was saying. What a jerk he is.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:27 PM

19,531 posts, read 9,055,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Time to fire that jacka$$, and look for a better one. Who needs that. On the positive side, you are allowed copies of your tests, and medical records, from what I understand. It's good that you got a copy so you could see what he was saying. What a jerk he is.
JERK is right!!! Well, actually, I would say "arrogant jack*ss"". Absolutely frightening!

Last edited by katharsis; 07-25-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 01:53 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,590,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
FWIW, I probably wouldn't have told the ENT how lymphoma is diagnosed or expounded on the rarity/frequency of other cancers. It put you in the position of a know-it-all, someone to dismiss, disprove, or challenge instead of someone who should be worked with collaboratively. Believe me I completely understand how upsetting that consultation was. I would have put an end to the appointment after the accusations and walked out, arranged to get another opinion, and filed a complaint about the obvious chart notes dis-connect later. Sort of the epitome of "getting the last word".
It isn’t appropriate to tell a provider that he is proposing to perform the wrong procedure on the wrong site? I don’t know how that is being a know-it-all. Clearly the ENT was given the wrong information and needed to be informed so he didn’t do the wrong procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness