Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:25 AM

538 posts, read 382,718 times

Advertisements

I don’t get colds much. When in around people at work who are sick I don’t catch it. When my husband had the flu a few times I only got a slight cough. But when he gets a cold I catch it. Regardless if I take vitamin C for days before hand. This time he breathed in my face and I got it 2 days after him. I guess it’s inevitable? I just wonder since I know people that don’t seem to catch anything from their spouses but maybe they are more careful with germs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 AM

14,832 posts, read 11,975,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I don’t get colds much. When in around people at work who are sick I don’t catch it. When my husband had the flu a few times I only got a slight cough. But when he gets a cold I catch it. Regardless if I take vitamin C for days before hand. This time he breathed in my face and I got it 2 days after him. I guess it’s inevitable? I just wonder since I know people that don’t seem to catch anything from their spouses but maybe they are more careful with germs.
Well, you're in much closer proximity to your husband on a regular basis compared to your coworkers. Colds viruses are spread by droplet infection- so breathing in your face, or even touching a surface your husband touched with the virus on his hands can spread them. That's why handwashing is so important in trying to prevent the spread of not just cold, but other viruses as well.

The incubation period for the cold virus (meaning the time you're infected with the virus till you get symptoms) is only about 24-72 hours, so you can have that cold less than 2 days after you're exposed to the virus and it takes up residence in your respiratory system. I wouldn't say getting a cold within two days after you're exposed to your husband's spreading viruses means your immune system is especially compromised, probably more like normal.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:04 AM

3,009 posts, read 2,202,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, you're in much closer proximity to your husband on a regular basis compared to your coworkers. Colds viruses are spread by droplet infection- so breathing in your face, or even touching a surface your husband touched with the virus on his hands can spread them. That's why handwashing is so important in trying to prevent the spread of not just cold, but other viruses as well.

The incubation period for the cold virus (meaning the time you're infected with the virus till you get symptoms) is only about 24-72 hours, so you can have that cold less than 2 days after you're exposed to the virus and it takes up residence in your respiratory system. I wouldn't say getting a cold within two days after you're exposed to your husband's spreading viruses means your immune system is especially compromised, probably more like normal.
Agreed.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,584,980 times
Quote:
You say you take Vit C before hand, I would be taking it every day which I do along with my other antioxidants to keep my immune system in tip top condition. That's my thinking on catching something.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:39 PM

538 posts, read 382,718 times
He has it in his chest more and discolored but no fever. Mine is clear and runny and sneezing. Almost seems like bad allergy but now I have 100 temp. Would we have the same symptoms if I caught it from him?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:58 PM

22,912 posts, read 18,220,032 times
Quote:
He has it in his chest more and discolored but no fever. Mine is clear and runny and sneezing. Almost seems like bad allergy but now I have 100 temp. Would we have the same symptoms if I caught it from him?
Not necessarily. Everyone's immune response to invaders is different. You could walk in to a room full of people with the same flu but how you respond to that virus and the symptoms that end up troubling you the most could be different from someone else.

Your chances of picking the virus from your husband are simply higher because you spend more time around him and touch the surfaces he touched more than anyone else on a daily basis.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
When DH is sick, I wash my hands a lot.

We don’t seem to get the same things though. He can have a cold, and I won’t. In fact I don’t get colds often, but struggle with upper respiratory symptoms year round.

I have usually been able to carry on even with sinus infections or other respiratory symptoms, but a cold knock him off his feet.

Neither of us is sick very often though.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,949,485 times
If you sleep in the same bed, you're getting coughed on and breathed on by the sick person during the night, so, yes, you'll catch it quickly.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:31 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,099,601 times
Maybe your resistance to his smooches is low...

Old 08-02-2019, 03:31 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,921,855 times
how fast do you kiss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness