Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 01:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,041,869 times

Advertisements

I dont use any of the artifical sweetners (Equal, Aspartame, Sweet n Low) from my parent's generation, but I do use Stevia & Splenda. I can't drink coffee black (you can do it with coconut oil + heavy cream, tho). Once you give up soda/cola, and switch to water/tea, you'll lose "most" of your sweet tooth, in my opinion.

These days, I love plain fresh blueberries or raspberries or 1 small banana, but when somebody like "sprinkles sugar on strawberries" that'll make me gag and push it away. I watched a great presentation by a prof at UCSD, comparing & contrasting the effects of alcohol, refined white sugar, and cocaine on the human body, and it was kinda funny how they are more similar than you think. People who "love their sweets, everyday" are in fact - drug addicts.

Splenda was invented ~50 years ago by replacing some of the oxygen+hydrogen in sugar with a chlorine molecule. That renders it indigestable to the human GI tract. It passes clean through you, and into the toilet: (maybe single digit absorption rate)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenda

It doesn't brown or caramelize, but it can survive cooking/baking up to 450F.

Interesting to see which kinds are banned in the USA vs EU, whats more popular in Japan or South America. But here are all six kinds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_substitute#Types

If it does causes cancer strokes dementia or whatever, I am your Canary in the Coalmine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 02:06 PM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Google is your friend (try "stevia used as birth control"). Look at whatever link you like.
I did, and found the exact opposite. That's why I thought I would ask you instead of just posting that it seemed to be incorrect.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-06-2019, 02:25 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,879,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I did, and found the exact opposite. That's why I thought I would ask you instead of just posting that it seemed to be incorrect.
You didn't look very far. That's OK. It was used historically as birth control. There are studies in pubmed that show it causes infertility in animals. The FDA was also adamant that is was unsafe for decades ... until it was suddenly approved.

You'd need to do research, though, to find all that out. If interested, have at it. If not, no problem. And, no, I'm not going to post 20 links specifically for you. If you are interested, research it. Or pay me for my time.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,704,117 times
Aspartame is the most studied food or additive there has ever been. Here is a good article on it.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/n...er-deemed-safe

There was one study in France that showed it caused cancer. Doctors that did the study, proved Cancer caused rats to have cancer. They would inject Aspartame under the skin of rats and every time they got cancer starting in that area.

This is where the Aspartame causes Cancer, came from.

But they went to prison over this, as it was a real fake study.

They used a special breed of rats that had been developed for solving cancer study and would develop cancer even if you injected plain distilled water under their skin. They were bred to easily give a rat cancer, so researchers could try things that are in development to cure cancer.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:43 PM

15,208 posts, read 7,260,476 times
Quote:
You didn't look very far. That's OK. It was used historically as birth control. There are studies in pubmed that show it causes infertility in animals. The FDA was also adamant that is was unsafe for decades ... until it was suddenly approved.

You'd need to do research, though, to find all that out. If interested, have at it. If not, no problem. And, no, I'm not going to post 20 links specifically for you. If you are interested, research it. Or pay me for my time.
If you are going to make the claim, it's up to you to support it. I'll just assume you were making up stuff.

I quit drinking soft drinks 4 years ago after a hospital stay. It's not just artificial sweeteners that are bad. High fructose corn syrup is horrible too. Quitting soft drinks dropped my A1c and my lipids. I had quit drinking artificially sweetened drinks years before.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 AM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
Moderator cut: copyright violation

There have been no human studies showing evidence of impaired fertility from stevia, yet the story continues to receive attention—even from the FDA, which continues to cite the above two studies as their main source of objection, in spite of all of the subsequent studies that refute stevia’s fertility effects. (6)

https://www.drhardick.com/stevia-infertility

Studies using rat embryos have established that stevia did not affect pregnancy or fertility outcomes and was non-toxic to fetal tissues.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319837.php

However, animal studies suggest that this sweetener — in the form of steviol glycosides like Reb A — does not negatively impact fertility or pregnancy outcomes when used in moderation (13Trusted Source).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...e#side-effects
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-07-2019 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,039,406 times
Quote:
Stevia was historically used as birth control.

Yes, it was used as a contraceptive in populations where the plant is native. It's possible that some populations still use it.

We don't know how much was used, but studies in Uruguay and in the US found that roughly 5 teaspoons of leaves taken in a daily tea infusion stopped ovulation in humans. They found that normal fertility returned after stopping the infusions. However, subsequent rat studies have shown that fertility was permanently decreased after stopping the infusions.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:05 PM

3,317 posts, read 2,312,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For decades the dangers of aspartame and artificial sweeteners have made news. When I was younger it was saccharine.

Nowadays it's any artificial sweetener, and now they are saying use of it can lead to strokes and dementia.

Other studies say not so fast.

It's one of those things where there seems to be no conclusive evidence either way, but falls into the mantra that the less of synthetic substances we take in, the better.
I like Sweet'N Low in my morning coffee, it might kill me, but at least I will have had a life of enjoyable coffee.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,511,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, we've been using stevia for years. There used to be a brand called "Skinny Girl" in a convenient dropper bottle, even Walmart had it. Or there are crystals in packets or jars.

A friend gave me a leaf she grew and it was like sucking on a sugar cube. Just amazing. I will try to grow it next. Here's a how-to:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...t-zm0z13fmzkin

But we don't eat sugar in anything other than desserts I bake for special occasions, so sugar it is.

Artificial sweeteners are horrible!
Thanks for the growing instructions. I always mean to try it but never do! Now I have to wait until next year, but it should be fun as well as interesting.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:34 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,511,202 times
Stay ON TOPIC. It's about sweeteners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness