Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:27 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

For decades the dangers of aspartame and artificial sweeteners have made news. When I was younger it was saccharine.

Nowadays it's any artificial sweetener, and now they are saying use of it can lead to strokes and dementia.

Other studies say not so fast.

It's one of those things where there seems to be no conclusive evidence either way, but falls into the mantra that the less of synthetic substances we take in, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:05 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
I'm interested in this BUT considering how many billions of people-years have been spent beta testing these substances and there's not slam dunk conclusion, should we be worried?

Old 08-05-2019, 08:54 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I'm interested in this BUT considering how many billions of people-years have been spent beta testing these substances and there's not slam dunk conclusion, should we be worried?
I think that in moderation, you shouldn't be too worried about major illnesses like cancer, stroke, or dementia.

However, my understanding is that artificial sweeteners do play havoc with your intestinal flora, which may be important to your overall health, more importantly NOW, and less importantly in 10, 20, 30 years from now (in how many "nows" can you live in at a time?).

Here's a challenge (maybe you already do it): for at least a week, better a month, eat only "clean", whole foods, no added processed or artificial sugar, no other processed foods, just the simplest, fewest-ingredient foods that you can reasonably prepare yourself according to your schedule. Also do daily exercise, at least some stretching and walking.

By the end of that month, try to observe if there's any difference in the way you feel compared to the start of the month.

Then, after that month-long period, drink a can or two of diet soda and experience how you feel.

Maybe you'll feel a difference, maybe you won't.

No slam-dunk conclusion over billions of people, but what matters most is how you feel now.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:01 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
I'm trying to keep my a1c at a reasonable level (last measured it was 5.9) and I HATE when "no sugar" or "less sugar" means "sweetened with chemicals". I get that some products HAVE to be sweetened, e.g. colas, but less so for cereals, granola bars, yogurt with fruit in it, etc. I've also been told to avoid aspartame because if the cancer risk- I have a family history of breast cancer. Just give me a "no sugar added, no fake sweetening chemicals" version and I'll add it if I want.

I do prepare things mostly from fresh ingredients, which helps a lot.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:42 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
I don't eat anything with artificial sweeteners for one reason - they taste really bad to me.

When aspartame first came out, I tried a sample size and was really thrilled. Bought a large container of it. After 2 weeks, it started tasting nasty.

From the time I can first remember, I have had a sweet tooth that won't quit. I've never found any magical "fix". You just have to be aware. (Read labels, cook your own, no fruit juice, etc.) I do not even try to cut out all sugar, that inevitably leads to binging. I just limit myself to one or two small servings of something very sweet every day. Right now, that means about 2 oz worth of flavored yogurt or an english muffin with some jam. (Due to digestive issues, most raw fruit has been off my menu for a while.)

Not ideal, but sugar binging is worse, so...

Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
As with a lot of things, studies show good / studies show bad.

So I use them, but not to excess. Variety, variety, variety.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm trying to keep my a1c at a reasonable level (last measured it was 5.9) and I HATE when "no sugar" or "less sugar" means "sweetened with chemicals". I get that some products HAVE to be sweetened, e.g. colas, but less so for cereals, granola bars, yogurt with fruit in it, etc. I've also been told to avoid aspartame because if the cancer risk- I have a family history of breast cancer. Just give me a "no sugar added, no fake sweetening chemicals" version and I'll add it if I want.

I do prepare things mostly from fresh ingredients, which helps a lot.
Same problem here. I don't mind some artificial sweetners, BUT premade stuff with them are still too sweet for me.

I make my own granola, it's just easier in the long run. Kirland's Ancient Grains is lower on the sugar scale, but still too much for me.

For yogurt I would just go with plain Greek yogurt and you can adjust the sweetness yourself with fruit or honey or whatever fits your diet. I WISH they wouldn't make yogurt SO sweet, it's essentially a dessert. Heck, my desserts have less sugar.

I'm so happy that flavored sparkling water is so popular now, with little to no sugar and no artificial sweeteners.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:40 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
"...falls into the mantra that the less of synthetic substances we take in, the better."
agree.
less is more better.
(sorry, Mrs. McMillian, my English teacher)

Old 08-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"...falls into the mantra that the less of synthetic substances we take in, the better."
agree.
less is more better.
(sorry, Mrs. McMillian, my English teacher)
It's okay because it is perfect Hawaiian pidgin.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I think that in moderation, you shouldn't be too worried about major illnesses like cancer, stroke, or dementia.

However, my understanding is that artificial sweeteners do play havoc with your intestinal flora, which may be important to your overall health, more importantly NOW, and less importantly in 10, 20, 30 years from now (in how many "nows" can you live in at a time?).

Here's a challenge (maybe you already do it): for at least a week, better a month, eat only "clean", whole foods, no added processed or artificial sugar, no other processed foods, just the simplest, fewest-ingredient foods that you can reasonably prepare yourself according to your schedule. Also do daily exercise, at least some stretching and walking.

By the end of that month, try to observe if there's any difference in the way you feel compared to the start of the month.

Then, after that month-long period, drink a can or two of diet soda and experience how you feel.

Maybe you'll feel a difference, maybe you won't.

No slam-dunk conclusion over billions of people, but what matters most is how you feel now.
If you want to know if not consuming aspartame results in feeling better, it would be better to continue eating and drinking as normal, except for no aspartame.

Also, the person needs to weigh, to see if no aspartame resulted in a gain or loss of weight (weight has a long term effect on health).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness