Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:41 PM

31,626 posts, read 26,469,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On the stress issue, they make their choices about going into medicine and dealing with the sick and damaged. They are not dealing with the healthy.
Again it isn't always about stress.

Anesthesiologists (both physicians and nurses) have a high incidence of drug and substance addiction compared to other specialties. But it is also a comparatively low stress specialty. Other than visiting a patient pre-operatviely and maybe post-op anesthesiologists don't have that much contact with "sick" patients. They put people under, monitor situation, then bring them back. Am not saying all that is "easy", but it certainly isn't stressful as working an ER, unit or floor 40 hours per week.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2766183/

Old 08-09-2019, 07:04 PM

14,804 posts, read 11,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Which is what they should have suggested.

It's irresponsible to prescribe Oxy-anything. I can't stand to think that people I know with addiction problems might need surgeries some day and will be given these drugs willy-nilly - and "questions" are not a barrier. People lie.
Our family members that have had surgery (ranging from ACL replacement, hysterectomy, gallbladder removal ), or injuries like broken bones in the last few years have been prescribed a limited number of opiod drugs post op, just enough for maybe 2-3 days post-surgery, with no refills. Hardly an unlimited or "willy-nilly" supply, though none of these folks are drug addicts, and most didn't even use their opioid painkillers beyond the first day after they left the hospital or post-injury.

It's been years since I had occasion to be prescribed narcotic pain pill relief, but morphine and other opioids make me violently sick (vomiting and severe stomach pains) so I have declined these meds on the few occasions I was offered them.
The providers had no problems suggesting tyelenol or an NSAID for pain relief instead and that is what I used.

I recently had minor surgery (pacemaker placement) and found it interesting that I was offered a range of pain relievers- from tyelenol to tyelenol 3 or percocet, I had my choice- while I was still in the hospital. And there was a period of time about 2-3 hours after the surgery (probably after the local anesthetic numbing the operative site wore off) that it felt like a giant toothache extending from just below the incision up to my left jaw. If I'd been intent on getting a narcotic (or felt I deserved one, like many people do, by virtue of having surgery, LOL), I'd have taken them up on their offer of a percocet. But I considered how miserable it'd be to spend the rest of the day puking so I chose the extra strength tyelenol instead, and found that worked well at getting rid of the pain. As it did for the next few days post-op whenever the twinges showed up again.

I don't know if I'd have been offered a prescription for the percocet to fill when I left the hospital, had I chosen that drug for the pain, but I wasn't and didn't need it anyway.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:11 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,373,053 times
Humans quest for euphoria and/or an altered-state probably goes back to the beginning of human history.

No need to get carried away with things, doctors included.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:17 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,568,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Humans quest for euphoria and/or an altered-state probably goes back to the beginning of human history.

No need to get carried away with things, doctors included.
I never had that quest, guessed I missed a lot.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,798,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I might be mistaken, but I always thought, medical doctors, had the highest divorce, suicide, drug use, alcoholism rate, you name it, out of any profession, it's a stressful job!
I've seen a few sources making a case for this, but it only works if you use an extremely restricted definition of "profession."

Tons of work fields have higher divorce rates than medicine:
https://www.monster.com/career-advic...orce-rate-1017

People in farming, natural resources, and construction trades have much higher suicide rates than those in medicine:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/these-j...te-of-suicide/
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/healt...udy/index.html

The figures on alcoholism/drug addiction by profession are murky because it's hard to hold a demanding job when consumed by substance abuse - if someone loses a position as a pilot due to drinking and becomes a bartender, do you count them under bartenders or pilots? - but I think it's pretty clear that medical personnel don't consume the most alcohol or drugs of any career field:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-day-is-done/

Old 08-10-2019, 07:56 AM

5,839 posts, read 6,112,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I've seen a few sources making a case for this, but it only works if you use an extremely restricted definition of "profession."

Tons of work fields have higher divorce rates than medicine:
https://www.monster.com/career-advic...orce-rate-1017
As mentioned above, medicine has one of the 10 lowest divorce rates, just under 25%, I believe. The entire "half of marriages end in divorce" stat is a bit misguided, as the rates are inversely realated to factors like education level and income. The higher those are (as is the case with physicians and their spouses), the lower the divorce rate. For example, I personally can think of only 2 physician couples out of about 12-15 that we knew during residency that have gotten divorced over the past dozen or so years.

As far as the addition rates, medicine is an incredibly stressful job. Mentally, emotionally and in some cases, physically. There are very few jobs that carry the expectation of near constant perfection like medicine does, but it's certainly not the only one. Pilots, air traffic controllers, law enforcement etc. Sadly, many physicians are wary of disclosing or seeking treatment for depression and/or anxiety, because unfortunately, that can and will be used against you. Every licensure application and credentialing packet I have ever seen asks questions about mental health status and treatment. Fortunately, it seems the tide is turning a bit on this with the younger generation and I routinely see discussions on other forums I read where med students and residents openly (though anonymously) discuss these issues.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,798,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No one is disputing that doctors are not human. The info is out there on their addiction histories.
Yes, your info is definitely "out there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness