Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times

Advertisements

What you’ll need:
1. A cool or air conditioned room
2. 15 minutes
3. A surface to lie down on
4. Bonus – HR tracker watch

Method Sparknotes – Lie down 15 minutes in a cool room 1-2x a day, until your heart rate relaxes and goes down. Then go about your day, palpitation free.

Hey everyone, it’s been a long time since I’ve visited this forum but I just wanted to share my experience just in case it can help anyone else. This may not work for everyone but it worked for me extremely well and it is quick and easy so give it a try if you’re having problems with palpitations.

Like a lot of you I experienced heart palpitations for many years – they started while I was in University and on the go rushing around and stressed all the time. For me it felt like a weird falling sensation in my chest followed by a quick strong beat, almost like my heart was skipping beats.

I had my heart checked out and the doctor told me all was well, and I had benign premature ventricular contractions. Unfortunately, I had already created a negative association with them in my head, and so experienced stress and anxiety whenever I experienced them, even though logically I knew they were harmless. It got to the point where I was on the verge of a panic disorder and I was willing to try just about anything to make them stop.

I tried many things like running/exercise, magnesium supplements, meditation, dietary changes etc. While these things definitely helped me feel better, they never actually had any effect on how many palpitations I was having, in fact lifting heavy at the gym often brought on more.

One day I was looking at my heart rate trends from my fitbit and noticed a pattern - while I was at school (lots of palpitations) my resting heart rate was consistently elevated (~66BPM). Once summer holidays hit (very few palpitations) my resting heart rate was much lower (~59BPM). So I figured if I could get my resting HR down during school, maybe I could reduce my palpitations as well.

I tried many things to get my heart rate down, but the only thing that worked consistently for me was lying down in a cool room. For whatever reason this environment allowed my heart to chill. At first I would lie down in the morning long enough to see my heart rate go down into the 50’s, but now I don’t keep track and just lie down for 10-15 minutes every day and that seems to work. I found that the moment I started doing this, I started having far fewer, if any palpitations throughout the day – it was like clockwork.

My current routine – I wake up, do my morning routine like showering and getting ready for work, then lie down in bed with my portable a/c unit on for ~10-15 min and check email, watch youtube, etc. then go about my day. Sometimes after work I will repeat this but mostly because it’s nice to have a bit of rest intermingled in the day.

With this as my routine I get 1-2 palpitations a month or so, and they no longer bother me like they used to because I know I have some control over them. Anyways I hope this helps a few of you because it definitely helped me! Let me know if you have any questions
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 05:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,195,765 times
Are palpitations diff than A-fib? My sister has Afib.
Are palpitations flutters?

Old 08-10-2019, 06:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,317,881 times
I've read faking a cough helps set things straight

Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,914,385 times
"...stopped my heart palpitations..."
i will not be stopping my heart on purpose.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:18 PM

608 posts, read 509,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I've read faking a cough helps set things straight
I had palpitations off and on for years and that did seem to stop them. I had my aortic heart valve replaced a few years ago and that pretty much stopped them completely. the best description of heart palpitations I ever heard was that they felt like a small fish flopping around in my chest.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,195,765 times
My sister describes her A-fib episodes as a donkey kicking inside her chest ...leaving her with a feeling of
being bruised inside. Oh, and sometimes the donkey has slippers on...can last 3- 6 hours before her meds work.
Sometimes feels like she is jousting and the pole has hit her chest.
Next day is just resting and super tired.
She had ablation that did nothing in case someone suggests that...terrible procedure, btw.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:46 PM

1,504 posts, read 1,006,169 times
Ablation works in many cases, freeing the patient from having to take medications to control an abnormal rhythm.

Also, a forceful cough will often break a run of premature beats. Working on a cardiac unit, we would often run into the room and ask the patient to cough.

Then there was once a patient in the ER whose abnormal rhythm broke as she lifted her hips to get on the bedpan. Same principle, bearing down as she lifted her hips.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:50 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,943,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Are palpitations diff than A-fib? My sister has Afib.
Are palpitations flutters?

Actually, "palpitations" is the term used to describe the person's sensation that his/ her heart is fluttering, pounding, skipping a beat. It's a general symptom that might be due to any number of cardiac arrthymias, from PVCs or PACs to atrial tachycardias, ventricular tachycardias, or a-fib. They can range from benign to not-so benign, or in a few cases, life threatening. Which is why it's a good idea to get new ( or different) onset palpitations checked out.

Your sister may well feel palpitations when she has an episode of a-fib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness