Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 12:12 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,719,451 times

Advertisements

I do remember one time when a Doctor told me "How often to you defecate?" I replied "I blasted a Dookie an hour ago"...He gave me the strangest look and I had to tell him that this 34 year old man listened to Green Day....He then found out what "Dookie" was also...he then laughed.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:06 PM

22,854 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My Mom had a nursing degree, so it was common to use medical terms in our home. Yet raising kids she had to find ways to get us to finish up with our bathroom duties. I had kidney dialysis so just "trying" to go was heart breaking for my mom. She understood my medical side...I just knew it hurt and I sometimes retained the fluid despite wishing to go. I still laugh on how she would say..."Honey, Lets both go to the bathroom, as if two of us could sit on the potty together! . What she really did though was sat near me as tears poured down my face ...and WE together would cheer if even 20- 30 cc's could be expelled naturally! She called it " Widdle"
LOL. Families deal with things in such interesting ways.

When my youngest sister was around 5 she started broadcasting to any audience present that she needed to poop or pee (don't start...I don't recall the exact wording she used). It was a little too much public information for my polite parents so they suggested instead of describing WHAT she needed to do, that she make a less specific announcement. She took the idea literally. Her version of the suggestion ended up being "I have to make an announcement!". But that could lead to confusion.

The setting: Family Thanksgiving dinner.

My sis would stand up and say "I have to make an announcement!"
Everyone would stop eating or chatting, turn their attention on her, and wait.
Then she'd promptly leave the room without saying anything else.
Everyone would be left mystified.
Eventually she grew out of it but I seem to remember her doing this for years.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:14 PM

8,795 posts, read 15,233,641 times
I agree with the OP. I do not like the word "pee" at all. I teach in an elementary school and encourage students to not use that word. "I need to use the restroom" will suffice.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM

22,854 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I agree with the OP. I do not like the word "pee" at all. I teach in an elementary school and encourage students to not use that word. "I need to use the restroom" will suffice.
Something like this tends to be what I say. However, there are people who still manage to infantize this. They don't need to use the restroom, they need to use the "little girl's/boy's" room.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,202,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When I was a kid, we couldn't say "butt" because it was vulgar. Now everyone says it.

My mom was raised to say tinkle instead of pee. Now nobody says tinkle, and most people say pee.

Language changes over time, and medical professionals are trained to use the most common words for things.
Didn't read thru the while thread. But "Needing to "pisss" is common too. My Father always said it as "needs to take a leak".

But if course in a Doctors office you EXPECT the more official terms. You usually would here the term "urinate" and "bowel movement" in questions. I think ALL understand these and Breast and Testicles, Ovaries and of course .....other sex organs official names.

I've not heard doctors use defecation or feces. Urine as one gets a urine test .... of course. Not a big word as the OP called it either.

I think I hear pisss more then pee though? Especially among males.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:20 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,179,433 times
Smile Reminded me of a funny memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When I was a kid, we couldn't say "butt" because it was vulgar. Now everyone says it.

My mom was raised to say tinkle instead of pee. Now nobody says tinkle, and most people say pee.

Language changes over time, and medical professionals are trained to use the most common words for things.
My parents were having this family over for dinner. They were from Canada (as my mom was) so we were told ahead of time not to make fun of certain words (schedule, eh, Tuesday, stuff like that).

This couple was such a good looking couple - he was a pilot and she didn't work but had both kids modeling for Sears. The 2 kids were around 6 and 8. We were around 8, 7, 6 and 3 at the time.

Well, they come for dinner and it was lovely. I was helping my mom bring the dessert out and I heard the woman say to the 2 kids "Do you need to go tinkle and grunt-grunt?" Keep in mind, I was 8 so this was hilarious. I almost dropped the dessert.

Anyway, as a family, we howled about that later.

We were always taught to use the real words but I don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:22 PM

14,801 posts, read 11,948,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Something like this tends to be what I say. However, there are people who still manage to infantize this. They don't need to use the restroom, they need to use the "little girl's/boy's" room.
Don't know how many people here are old enough to remember the days when a lady had to use the restroom she said she had to go "powder her nose." This was also referred to as "taking a powder."

When I was a kid, my parents had a friend who always said "he had to go see a man about a dog".

Old 08-12-2019, 02:28 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,179,433 times
Default Cracked me up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
As an adult, I still bust up laughing when some of my guy friends say..." I gotta go see a man about a horse".

I do dislike the " Gee gotta go take a whizz" , " Or Im dropping the cosby kids off at the pool". those two phrases just are offensive.

My Mom had a nursing degree, so it was common to use medical terms in our home. Yet raising kids she had to find ways to get us to finish up with our bathroom duties. I had kidney dialysis so just "trying" to go was heart breaking for my mom. She understood my medical side...I just knew it hurt and I sometimes retained the fluid despite wishing to go. I still laugh on how she would say..."Honey, Lets both go to the bathroom, as if two of us could sit on the potty together! . What she really did though was sat near me as tears poured down my face ...and WE together would cheer if even 20- 30 cc's could be expelled naturally! She called it " Widdle"
I was on a 2nd date with a guy 6 years older than me - already out of college and I was just out of HS.
He used the term"gotta see a man about a horse"

I had no clue. I had to ask my dad when I got home.

He cracked up and told me a few others.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 PM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times
As long as we're a little bit off topic and talking about bathroom humor, I'll add that the most revolting term I ever heard for it was from a guy I dated (briefly.) He used to say he was going to have a squirt. Eeeew.

I think it bothers me the most when it's so literal that I can picture it.

I didn't mind at all when someone said they had to go spend a penny. (Pay toilets in public restrooms.) Euphemisms exist for a reason.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:59 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,573,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't know how many people here are old enough to remember the days when a lady had to use the restroom she said she had to go "powder her nose." This was also referred to as "taking a powder."

When I was a kid, my parents had a friend who always said "he had to go see a man about a dog".
I think that probably stopped no later than the ‘80s when powdering your nose became associated more with- well, actually putting powder up your nose in the restroom. These days if you say it, people might suggest you consider rehab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness