Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,099,295 times

Advertisements

Getting to be that time to start thinking wheelchair as my ability to walk has become a problem, walker wont work as i need to sit down frequently,walker with seat is an option but where do you put your feet if some one is pushing you, transporter seems the logical choice as its a combination wheelchair and walker. something like this =https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/drive-m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Anyone have any advice on wheelchairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:59 AM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
As none of us know why you have difficulty walking, hard to comment. Have you discussed this with your MD? There may be some targeted physical therapy that could keep you on your feet longer. Your upper body strength could also play into the decision about transport.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
As none of us know why you have difficulty walking, hard to comment. Have you discussed this with your MD? There may be some targeted physical therapy that could keep you on your feet longer. Your upper body strength could also play into the decision about transport.
MD says i have developed some mis aligned discs along with spinal arthritus and blood flow problems in my legs leading to a lack of power, now you know why i have difficulty walking,

Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 PM

2,267 posts, read 4,104,953 times
The transport chairs are a good option since you would not be confined to the chair. You could get up if you needed (bathroom, etc) or even scoot along with your feet when you might need to.

These chairs are lightweight and much easier to get in and out of a vehicle than more substantial chairs.

Ask your Dr. for more in-depth info and recommendations. I wish you the best.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 PM

19,248 posts, read 15,124,992 times
I had the same questions when looking for something for my mom. Her problems are very similar to yours. We decided on a transport chair similar to the one you linked to, and it's worked out really well. Wishing you luck (with your health as well as the chair).

Old 08-13-2019, 01:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,777,247 times
The disadvantage to a transport chair is that you can't push it yourself. A wheelchair with the big rear wheels gives you the option to push it yourself. It is heavier than the transport chair though and harder to wrangle in and out of vehicles.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,973,150 times
My husband had a wheelchair that was a combination transport chair and regular wheelchair. That is, it had the four little wheels of a transport chair, plus the two big back wheels of a regular chair. The big wheels could be removed with little difficulty.

Here's one like it: https://www.vitalitymedical.com/driv...MaAiMkEALw_wcB

Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The disadvantage to a transport chair is that you can't push it yourself. A wheelchair with the big rear wheels gives you the option to push it yourself. It is heavier than the transport chair though and harder to wrangle in and out of vehicles.
At this point if i need to move on my own i can use the chair as a walker to get around if theres no one there to push me.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:35 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At this point if i need to move on my own i can use the chair as a walker to get around if theres no one there to push me.
As long as you can, depend on yourself for transportation. If you can handle using your chair as a walker do so The longer you can manage by yourself the better you will feel physically and mentally. Good luck

Old 08-15-2019, 02:20 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Transport chairs are very different than a true wheelchair. They aren't made for someone to sit comfortably for an extended period of time. They are made to be lightweight and for transporting someone to and from a vehicle for short distances.

Because they are lightweight, they don't work well as a walker, since too much pressure pushing an empty chair, makes it vulnerable for flipping. They are also not made for self propulsion. Even a person pushing you in a transfer chair, may encounter issues going over small bumps, like door frames. I know, I pushed my mother in one many, many times.

My advice is, that if you see yourself in the next while having to spend more time in a wheelchair, spend the money and go to a professional that will measure and adjust the chair that is right for you. It won't be cheap, but it will save you aggravation and possible pain later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness