Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,789,988 times

Advertisements

I recently saw an orthopedic surgeon for a consult on doing a procedure on my foot. He recommended a new surgical procedure that is considered experimental and "investigational" by Medicare, and therefore they aren't going to pay for it. (I checked with Medicare on this.) I'd prefer the standard procedure for this issue anyway, since there are mixed reviews on the outcomes of the investigational procedure from patients who have gone through it.

The investigational procedure is a modification of the standard procedure, it's not totally different.

However, the surgeon argued with me during the appointment about how much better the investigational procedure was, yada yada, how "most' patients do well, etc. When I left, I said, "I'll think about it."

The problem is that there aren't any other doctors in my area that do this standard procedure at all, and to get another opinion, I'd have to go to another city and he/she might say the same thing, and there might be network issues. A big hassle.

I'm concerned that if I stick with the first guy, who is "in my network," and I insist on the standard procedure, he won't be happy, maybe do a crappy job, or maybe he'll go ahead with the investigational procedure and I'll get stuck with a huge bill.

Can doctors refuse to do a standard (vs investigational) procedure if that's what the patient wants? Or if their insurance doesn't pay for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM

22,871 posts, read 18,160,783 times
In the end, YOU are the paying customer. If this ortho doesn't want to do the procedure you are most comfortable with, tell him you'll find someone who will. He can't force you to do anything. He can try to persuade you but that's it. If he resists, vote with your feet (painful as that is). Check with your insurance about traveling distances to get care. There's probably a way to do it if care isn't available locally. Explain why you are looking. Consider that even if a provider in the other city ends up preferring the same experimental procedure, at least you got that valuable second opinion.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-13-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 01:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,568,121 times
OP: I don't know your issues but my daughter has two feet with collapsed tendons/arches and she's had 3 opinions, one surgeon wanted to do surgery, one surgeon said COULD END UP WORSE, don't do it. This is major work and long down time, in her case it would be reconstruction surgery. She's on a product now and doing very well, no pain in the feet and I will send you info...I'm realizing improvement with my arthritic feet as well.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,960,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I recently saw an orthopedic surgeon for a consult on doing a procedure on my foot. He recommended a new surgical procedure that is considered experimental and "investigational" by Medicare, and therefore they aren't going to pay for it. (I checked with Medicare on this.) I'd prefer the standard procedure for this issue anyway, since there are mixed reviews on the outcomes of the investigational procedure from patients who have gone through it.

The investigational procedure is a modification of the standard procedure, it's not totally different.

However, the surgeon argued with me during the appointment about how much better the investigational procedure was, yada yada, how "most' patients do well, etc. When I left, I said, "I'll think about it."

The problem is that there aren't any other doctors in my area that do this standard procedure at all, and to get another opinion, I'd have to go to another city and he/she might say the same thing, and there might be network issues. A big hassle.

I'm concerned that if I stick with the first guy, who is "in my network," and I insist on the standard procedure, he won't be happy, maybe do a crappy job, or maybe he'll go ahead with the investigational procedure and I'll get stuck with a huge bill.

Can doctors refuse to do a standard (vs investigational) procedure if that's what the patient wants? Or if their insurance doesn't pay for it?
If you really think your surgeon is capable of doing a "crappy job" out of spite, or doing a procedure against your expressed wishes, then you need to see a different surgeon.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 PM

17,328 posts, read 13,066,463 times
You need a second opinion, or no surgery for you

Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,177,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post

1. No surgeon is going to do a "crappy job" out of spite....that just doesn't happen.

2. If you aren't happy with what you heard then you absolutely should get a 2nd opinion.

3. The surgeon isn't going to do the investigational procedure unless you consent to it, if you didn't consent to it then he can't do a "switch" in the operating room

4. While the patient is the "customer" that doesn't mean he/she gets to dictate the procedure. If the surgeon doesn't want to do the "standard procedure" (would help to know what we are talking about) because he feels the newer procedure is much better, the "customer" can't tell the patient to do the other procedure anyway....

That is to say, you don't have to have surgery at all with this surgeon but you don't get to tell him what procedure to do....ultimately that is the surgeon's call.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM

1,487 posts, read 869,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. No surgeon is going to do a "crappy job" out of spite....that just doesn't happen.

2. If you aren't happy with what you heard then you absolutely should get a 2nd opinion.

3. The surgeon isn't going to do the investigational procedure unless you consent to it, if you didn't consent to it then he can't do a "switch" in the operating room

4. While the patient is the "customer" that doesn't mean he/she gets to dictate the procedure. If the surgeon doesn't want to do the "standard procedure" (would help to know what we are talking about) because he feels the newer procedure is much better, the "customer" can't tell the patient to do the other procedure anyway....

That is to say, you don't have to have surgery at all with this surgeon but you don't get to tell him what procedure to do....ultimately that is the surgeon's call.
Actually.....the patient certainly does have the right to decide what procedure he wants...esp in this case where one is experimental..thus no proven track record of success..

Yikes..The patient is always in charge!

Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,373,053 times
Surgery and new-procedure..............yikes, I would be kinda wary.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,177,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Actually.....the patient certainly does have the right to decide what procedure he wants...esp in this case where one is experimental..thus no proven track record of success..

Yikes..The patient is always in charge!
Patient is NOT in charge of telling the surgeon what procedure to perform in an elective or emergent situation

The patient does have a right NOT to have the procedure recommended by the surgeon and go elsewhere

But to tell the surgeon what to do.... nope

Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,176,379 times
I just had the same thing told to me today by my orthopedic doctor. She said there was some new treatment that involved brain stem cells used to try to regrow injured ligaments or tendons. But said there was no conclusive evidence yet and insurance probably wouldn’t cover it. Turned that down flat. I’ve had a lifetime of foot problems and surgery. Be very careful. I had doctors refuse to see me because I was Dr. So and so’s patient. It took years to get out of that network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness