Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times

Advertisements

I’m curious about other’s experiences. To keep it brief, I’m considered a risk for heart disease. My dad, both grand dads and most uncles all died in the mid-fifties of heart disease. My blood cholesterol level and ratio has always been bad and so have my triglycerides. I’ve had multiple stress tests of various types, echocardiograms, carotid neck ultrasounds, etc. Most of those tests started because I was, eventually, diagnosed with a “non-pathological ST depression” detected when I went into the emergency room for a different matter. They threw me cardiac intensive care overnight. None of the tests have revealed any problem worth treating right now by anything other than medication.

Despite all this stuff going on, I have not, to my knowledge, ever had any obvious symptoms of heart disease. I’m curious whether others here have had something hit them out of the blue, even when their doctors have told them there is no concern at the moment. I’m going to be 72 soon and I’m honestly surprised I’m still here given my family history. I feel like this is what’s going to get me some day, just sort of wondering whether it’s likely to be sudden and unexpected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m curious about other’s experiences. To keep it brief, I’m considered a risk for heart disease. My dad, both grand dads and most uncles all died in the mid-fifties of heart disease. My blood cholesterol level and ratio has always been bad and so have my triglycerides. I’ve had multiple stress tests of various types, echocardiograms, carotid neck ultrasounds, etc. Most of those tests started because I was, eventually, diagnosed with a “non-pathological ST depression” detected when I went into the emergency room for a different matter. They threw me cardiac intensive care overnight. None of the tests have revealed any problem worth treating right now by anything other than medication.

Despite all this stuff going on, I have not, to my knowledge, ever had any obvious symptoms of heart disease. I’m curious whether others here have had something hit them out of the blue, even when their doctors have told them there is no concern at the moment. I’m going to be 72 soon and I’m honestly surprised I’m still here given my family history. I feel like this is what’s going to get me some day, just sort of wondering whether it’s likely to be sudden and unexpected.
No one can answer that for you.Of course the obvious is get the cholesterol under control but people have had high cholesterol and never had heart trouble and visa versa. From the family history it is likely someday you will have a heart attack but it could be 20 years from now or you could develop something totally different. Now, the good news, controlling heart trouble including heart attacks have come so far in the past 20 years it is amazing. I am sure you know the systems and will act quickly if you seem to be having an issue.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:34 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:

I was never, to my knowledge, at risk for heart disease. My cholesterol was a bit high at 232, but not hideous. In fact, I had a great EKG in March 2018. I had no chest pains or palpitations right up until I had my "widow maker" heart attack last year in June. Fortunately my heart didn't stop until I reached the emergency room (it was a long trip and almost 90 minutes from the beginning of the attack). I was on a pumper for over 3 minutes and received 3 stents at the time and 2 more since then, plus a lot of new medications. I also moved a lot closer to the hospital, since I live alone. It was a real wake-up experience!

Old 08-15-2019, 01:17 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I was never, to my knowledge, at risk for heart disease. My cholesterol was a bit high at 232, but not hideous. In fact, I had a great EKG in March 2018. I had no chest pains or palpitations right up until I had my "widow maker" heart attack last year in June. Fortunately my heart didn't stop until I reached the emergency room (it was a long trip and almost 90 minutes from the beginning of the attack). I was on a pumper for over 3 minutes and received 3 stents at the time and 2 more since then, plus a lot of new medications. I also moved a lot closer to the hospital, since I live alone. It was a real wake-up experience!
Had you had any scans or stress tests beforehand that might have shown some problems? My EKG always shows as abnormal due to the aforementioned condition. That was in fact why they threw me into the cardiac ICU that time in the first place. Glad you made it through to tell the story.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:26 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
A cardiologist once told me he can often spot serious heart disease from appearance. A person who suddenly looks tired with a pale, grey complexion is the tip off. They need to see a doctor ASAP.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:53 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Had you had any scans or stress tests beforehand that might have shown some problems? My EKG always shows as abnormal due to the aforementioned condition. That was in fact why they threw me into the cardiac ICU that time in the first place. Glad you made it through to tell the story.
No, because I had no symptoms at all. The only reason I had the EKG was because I was starting a physician's weight loss program, and the results were just fine. Everything was great right up to the attack.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 AM

123 posts, read 101,362 times
Quote:
I’m considered a risk for heart disease.
My dad, both grand dads and most uncles all died in the mid-fifties of heart disease.
My blood cholesterol level and ratio has always been bad and so have my triglycerides.
You can only do what you can do:
Sounds like you're under the care of a cardiologist. (You can always get second opinions too)
Don't smoke.
Exercise
Manage your blood data with medication if necessary
Blood pressure
Stress
Food

There's not much else you can do.

My dad never exercised a day in his life, ate garbage, smoked in the 1950s, overweight all his life....lived 14 months less than Jack La Lane.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:43 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaminade View Post
You can only do what you can do:
Sounds like you're under the care of a cardiologist. (You can always get second opinions too)
Don't smoke.
Exercise
Manage your blood data with medication if necessary
Blood pressure
Stress
Food

There's not much else you can do.

My dad never exercised a day in his life, ate garbage, smoked in the 1950s, overweight all his life....lived 14 months less than Jack La Lane.
As did my father, but he never smoked.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
None of the tests have revealed any problem worth treating right now by anything other than medication.
I wouldn't downplay this. They obviously gave you something to prevent a second heart attack.

Go back and read the discharge instructions again. Given the incident you described, they would prescribe a statin to lower your cholesterol and triglycerides since you say they were high. If the blood pressure were also high, they would prescribe an anti-hypertension drug.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:21 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I would start a meditation program, too. Not hokey. There is evidence that it helps your mind and body.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...e-heart-health

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-liv...-and-wellbeing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness