Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 04:54 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't think that sounded like a panic attack & I don't think it was bad dope either. I think you should see a Cardiologist, they will be able to test to see if you had a heart attack. It's important that you know if your heart sustained any permanent damage.

I am wondering if you told the doctor that you had done coke? Women in their 20s are much more likely to have panic attacks than heart attacks; if you were not honest with him & your vital signs were normal (which can happen even during a heart attack) you may have thrown him off course.
This^^^
Completely agree....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
It is called angina. For women, the pain often emanates from the chest and goes from the lower abdomen to the jaw. Severe pain due to blockage in the left anterior descending artery is often called the widowmaker.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:42 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times
I've never done drugs, but I have had a heart attack and stupidly did not go to the ER because I (for some stupid reason) didn't think that was what I just had.

BUT....you had EVERY SINGLE SIGN of a heart attack! .... GO GET TESTED so you know because it's a fact that if you have one (especially at that age) you WILL have another! The next one may kill you......

Old 08-16-2019, 05:52 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
I think you should absolutely see a doctor, preferably a cardiologist, and tell them exactly what you told us about the coke use and your reaction to it. You very well might have had a heart attack. I've seen that happen many times after people using it just once, because I was the nurse manager for a cardiac care unit and I also used to work in the ER at a level one trauma hospital. Unfortunately, we saw this type of thing way too often.

If you did have a heart attack at the time, there's no way for that doctor you saw to be able to make that diagnosis only by taking your blood pressure and listening to your heart with a stethoscope. You now need to have a stress ECHO, where you exercise on a treadmill and they do a cardiac ECHO right after and also an EKG, both while running on the treadmill and afterwards.

No one can diagnosis a heart attack by simply listening to the heart with a stethoscope, even while the person is having the event.

You could have caused permanent heart damage from that event and you need to have your heart fully evaluated. This could prevent future problems with your heart.

Please go get checked and please don't do any more cocaine. Read this link I am sharing:

https://www.verywellmind.com/cocaine...-heart-1745713

Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It is called angina. For women, the pain often emanates from the chest and goes from the lower abdomen to the jaw. Severe pain due to blockage in the left anterior descending artery is often called the widowmaker.
Yes, angina for non coke users.

I've had 3 heart attacks in my 30s.. I am a female athletic non drug user. The first question they asked me? "Do you do coke?" Because cocaine puts a tremendous strain on your heart and become of my age.

It's foolish to do coke then go to the ER & not mention your coke use.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:48 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
If you were hyper ventilating, which many people do when they are having a panic attack, that alone could cause the numbness you experienced. As a young female I would be more inclined to think you were having a panic attack rather than a heart issue especially since you had just done coke. Lay off the drugs would be my first advice. You just never know what it might be laced with. I bet it never happens again as long as you don't do any more coke.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:09 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If you were hyper ventilating, which many people do when they are having a panic attack, that alone could cause the numbness you experienced. As a young female I would be more inclined to think you were having a panic attack rather than a heart issue especially since you had just done coke. Lay off the drugs would be my first advice. You just never know what it might be laced with. I bet it never happens again as long as you don't do any more coke.
From the symptoms the OP described:

Quote:
Then my left arm started hurting and getting so numb that I couldn't even move that entire arm anymore... I couldnt speak or move my arm and I was in pain and agony.
The other symptoms she reports are typical for a panic attack, but that kind of intense pain in the left arm described by the OP as agony is *not* a typical symptom of a panic attack. Here are the DSM-5 clinical symptoms that may be associated with a panic attack:

Quote:
An abrupt surge of intense fear or intense discomfort that reaches a peak within minutes, and during which time four or more of the following symptoms occur. The abrupt surge can occur from a calm state or an anxious state:
1. Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate 2. Sweating
3. Trembling or shaking
4. Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
5. Feeling of choking
6. Chest pain or discomfort
7. Nausea or abdominal distress
8. Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
9. Chills or heat sensations
10. Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
11. Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
12. Fear of losing control or going crazy
13. Fear of dying
I'm a retired clinical counselor. If one of my clients had reported the OP's symptoms I would have urged him/her to make an appointment with a doctor for followup right away. Those here who are "guessing" it wasn't not a heart attack or some other cardiovascular symptom are playing with fire. From another article on panic attacks:

Quote:
Only a Professional Can Diagnose Panic Disorder

It is important to know that the symptoms of panic disorder may mimic many other anxiety disorders and/or medical conditions. Only your doctor or mental health professional can diagnose panic disorder.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:15 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yes, angina for non coke users.

I've had 3 heart attacks in my 30s.. I am a female athletic non drug user. The first question they asked me? "Do you do coke?" Because cocaine puts a tremendous strain on your heart and become of my age.

It's foolish to do coke then go to the ER & not mention your coke use.
At least around here, they tend to do urine or blood drug screening in the ER, to rule out drug use as a cause of such symptoms in young people who present there with the symptoms. I'm surprised the ER where the OP went with her attacks didn't check her for drugs.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:26 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Cocaine not a good idea. People do die from that.
Do weed instead and don't drive. You will sleep like when you were 3.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:00 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkzebra View Post
Thanks! No, it wasn't a lot of coke, just a couple of bumps. But then again, I guess even the smallest amounts can trigger something.
Cool, I hope you come back & let us know what the Cardiologists says. IMO, the medical community kind of shoots itself in it's own foot by being so judgmental about illicit drug use, which discourages patients from being honest.

Our concern is warranted; we see an awful lot of the devastation first hand but we can't help what we don't know.

Some people have a genetic susceptibility to being very sensitive to coke & even a few bumps could kill them & it does usually involve a cardiac event. Additionally; women are more sensitive to it's effect (even the addiction) & if alcohol is used at the same time; it can make it even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness