Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 01:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times

Advertisements

My son is a childhood cancer survivor.
He has Barrett’s Syndrome and a history of taking antacids RX for long time.
He has had a year long battle w/C-Diff/gastric issues topped by a celiac artery malformation—maybe from his chemo/radiation therapy that could be compromising blood flow to his GI tract

He has lost a lot of weight and is having to wait to have the celiac artery problem dealt with because he is anemic and is taking iron—
They just found the source for the anemia—and don’t think it is cancerous...

My husband and I have been in FL this summer and haven’t see him for several months
His wife said he is really thin
I am worried it could be malabsorption issue in addition to other issues...

Haven’t read any real treatment for a chronic malabsorption issue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:17 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,715,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My son is a childhood cancer survivor.
He has Barrett’s Syndrome and a history of taking antacids RX for long time.
He has had a year long battle w/C-Diff/gastric issues topped by a celiac artery malformation—maybe from his chemo/radiation therapy that could be compromising blood flow to his GI tract

He has lost a lot of weight and is having to wait to have the celiac artery problem dealt with because he is anemic and is taking iron—
They just found the source for the anemia—and don’t think it is cancerous...

My husband and I have been in FL this summer and haven’t see him for several months
His wife said he is really thin
I am worried it could be malabsorption issue in addition to other issues...

Haven’t read any real treatment for a chronic malabsorption issue...

I have malabsorption due to gastric bypass surgery. One way to work proactively with it is to supplement vitamins and nutrients (in my case- multiple kinds of vitamins per day and protein shakes). In his case, he should speak with his medical team.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I have malabsorption due to gastric bypass surgery. One way to work proactively with it is to supplement vitamins and nutrients (in my case- multiple kinds of vitamins per day and protein shakes). In his case, he should speak with his medical team.
His GI doctor has kind of cut him loose—
Says they don’t return calls
He is going to see his GP tomorrow

I told him that some doctors don’t like to deal with patients they haven’t “cured”—
They see them as failures...
He has been going to this GI doctor for a year or more and not really making any progress...

Old 08-20-2019, 01:38 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,715,914 times
Quote:

I told him that some doctors don’t like to deal with patients they haven’t “cured”—
He has been going to this GI doctor for a year or more and not really making any progress...
Maybe he can find a Bariatrics team to give him a hand. All the doctors, nurses and nutritionists are versed in malabsorption. Some teams include a GI, as mine does.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:56 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,413,544 times
[quote=loves2read;55974068]His GI doctor has kind of cut him loose—

He has been going to this GI doctor for a year or more and not really making any progress...[/QUOT .]
Might be the time for him to seek help at a large teaching hospital. They often deal with patients with medical histories like his. It IS true that when I MD cannot 'fix' what is wrong, they often let you go on out there alone. It's happened to me, too. Don't get me wrong, there are still some great MDs out there but you have to FIND them. I wish him all the best in doing that.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:12 PM

[quote=mooksmom;56096712]
Quote:

He has been going to this GI doctor for a year or more and not really making any progress...[/QUOT .]
Might be the time for him to seek help at a large teaching hospital. They often deal with patients with medical histories like his. It IS true that when I MD cannot 'fix' what is wrong, they often let you go on out there alone. It's happened to me, too. Don't get me wrong, there are still some great MDs out there but you have to FIND them. I wish him all the best in doing that.
Thanks
He is having to use COBRA insurance because they are both out of work
I think that has made some decisions more difficult
And I think part of the problem is that he doesn’t seem overtly worried
He is trusting this dr to know what he is doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness