Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:03 PM

669 posts, read 317,853 times

Advertisements

I'm 40 this year and like you, 2 years ago at 38, I was not in shape. Weight wise, ok. 5 ft 10.5 at about 165-170 lbs. But was short of breath going up stairs and stuff.

Literally, find a gym that's super easily accessible. Start by going as much as possible in a week doing 1 exercise really. Running for like 5 mins with the goal of running a certain distance. For me, it was 0.6 miles. Just do that and some stretching. Basically, the less but more often. This will make your physical routine adoption more easier.

Than graduate to outside on nicer days. Reason why treadmill is better for beginners is it's more systematic.

Surprisingly, it took me nearly a year where I felt really confident running longer distances. Along the way, start expanding. I just did simple exercises, such as pull ups. A good way to gain pull-up strength is to hold yourself at the highest position you can for almost long as you can. Important to stretch. Throwing in the stair master after is also very good.

Throw in basic yoga stretches. Flexibility, balance and coordination is key as we age. Forget the type of workout, body you had in your teens and earlier 20s.

More importantly, don't forget about going for massages if your work has benefits to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 AM

289 posts, read 246,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Both of you are essentially saying the same thing but approaching it from a different angle. Both the traditional low-calorie dieter and the keto dieter are basically achieving a caloric deficit, however they are weighting that intake differently (higher grains/fruit/protein and low fat vs. low grains/fruit and high protein/fat).

In my opinion, the calorie-counting diet takes a lot more self control for most people because you need to know *how* to weight your daily calorie intake to ensure you don't eat all carbs/sugar and end up hungry and "cheat". However, once you learn how your individual body responds to varying levels of sugar/protein/fat intake and how it affects blood sugar it can be easier. All the food we eat gets converted to calories, but the body does not respond the same to all calories, if that makes sense.

No one specific thing 'makes you fat' (protein, fat, carbs, sugar) it's eating an excess that makes you fat. How you structure your diet on a permanent basis to ensure you don't eat an excess is pretty much the thing any good lifestyle diet change tries to achieve. Understanding how the body responds to different types of food and the impact they have on hunger/blood sugar/energy levels is key in all this.

No way were we saying the same thing, they said quote It has nothing to do with calories.

I said Losing weight has everything to do with Calories in and Calories out

How is that the same?

Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM

1,186 posts, read 959,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
No way were we saying the same thing, they said quote It has nothing to do with calories.

I said Losing weight has everything to do with Calories in and Calories out

How is that the same?
You are saying the same thing because regardless of whether you advocate low carb or calorie counting, you're achieving a caloric deficit in both scenarios.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:37 AM

289 posts, read 246,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
You are saying the same thing because regardless of whether you advocate low carb or calorie counting, you're achieving a caloric deficit in both scenarios.
Give up we said completely opposite can only believe you did not read it.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 324 times
Hi, I've also struggled to start back training (former Judo player here) now on my 40's. I've found this excellent program on Amzn, and it's really worth it : [url]https://amzn.to/2BRDN4p[/url] .
I couldn't align 5 push ups without collapsing on my knees. There is a program to get you to basic fitness (push ups and squat) and then the real deal, an 8 week program (only 2-3 sessions per week of 30-60 min) to get you in shape. It really worked for me, I went from impossible to run 3 mins to know training often more than 30 mins.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness