Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,193,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Right..and clearly you have not given this a great deal of thought..lol which is why you have no clue what youre talking about...80k base pay is more than sufficient pay for doctors who come to work, order diagnostics, and write rx's. If they want more they can do like everybody else who doesnt like their base pay: perform better to qualify for more bonuses & incentives, or go get a second job.
Seriously......get a clue.....this is beyond moronic....

A ridiculously low salary cap that you propose would absolutely guarantee....GUARANTEE....that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE would EVER consider a career in medicine....

It would be fiscal suicide to even consider such a career under your absurd scenario....

Physician shortage....there would be none.....ZERO

You have NO idea what physicians actually DO, the responsibilities, the risk....yeah a 2nd job after an 80 hour work week....

Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
He could afford to retire. It's not that unusual. I have a neighbor who is a teacher who is retiring at the end of this school year at about age 60 for the same reasons.

BUT, he didn't want to retire as he was approaching the pinnacle of his career!

He left a thriving practice that he built from the ground up, based on reasons in my earlier post!

Old 08-21-2019, 07:31 PM

1,015 posts, read 726,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seriously......get a clue.....this is beyond moronic....

A ridiculously low salary cap that you propose would absolutely guarantee....GUARANTEE....that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE would EVER consider a career in medicine....

It would be fiscal suicide to even consider such a career under your absurd scenario....

Physician shortage....there would be none.....ZERO

You have NO idea what physicians actually DO, the responsibilities, the risk....yeah a 2nd job after an 80 hour work week....
Not moronic at all.
Too many people become doctors for the sole purpose of a high income. No real concern for medicine or helping others in need.
It might be a great way to better health care. Government is always preaching Health care. They can pay for the cost of medical school and cap the pay scale. Now what you would get is only people truly interested in the medical field, would bother with the rigorous training. Just might get rid of the Quaks

Old 08-21-2019, 08:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
BUT, he didn't want to retire as he was approaching the pinnacle of his career!

He left a thriving practice that he built from the ground up, based on reasons in my earlier post!
He chose to retire.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:59 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
He chose to retire.

No, when reimbursements dropped so low, he took home more from his investments than his office

There becomes a point at which between insurance companies not paying and patients becoming more demanding, he was too burned out to practice. That is not a real choice

Old 08-22-2019, 05:25 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,193,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Not moronic at all.
Too many people become doctors for the sole purpose of a high income. No real concern for medicine or helping others in need.
It might be a great way to better health care. Government is always preaching Health care. They can pay for the cost of medical school and cap the pay scale. Now what you would get is only people truly interested in the medical field, would bother with the rigorous training. Just might get rid of the Quaks
1. Great idea....just make sure you do the same pay cap for all learned professions and all jobs(yours too of course).....Communism has worked out so well after all

2. Yeah "Government" can pay all the costs associated with medical education. Is this "Government" that is always supposedly "preaching" health care some omnipotent, all powerful and self funded entity?? Or is it the "government" that I know which can't even get out of its own way and is funded by taxes otherwise known as you and me??

Where is that "funding" coming from if everyone's pay is capped at an arbitrary number?? Oh yeah...insanely high taxes from an already lowered income...again see "Communism"

3. There is already a significant shortage of physicians which is only getting worse....you really feel there are enough "idealists" out there who are willing to work the insane hours which will only be worse because of the fewer numbers of doctors available??? Oh...and those "idealists" in addition to their "idealism" actually have to be smart enough to survive medical education and perform in practice.....or maybe not according to your plan.

4. This myth that you believe that "too many people become doctors for the sole purpose of a high income" is just that....a myth. Anyone smart enough to get into medical school and hard working enough to undergo the rigors of a medical education including residency and fellowship could have gone into FAR MORE lucrative fields for less hassle, less headache and less stress and made FAR MORE MONEY......many ARE doing just that which is one of the primary factors behind the current and worsening shortage....

As it is 5 out of 9 currently practicing physicians would not recommend to their own children or others go into medicine.....

So yes the idea of a ridiculously low salary "cap" is MORONIC

Old 08-22-2019, 06:06 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is socialized, which is not free. It is paid for through taxes or a National insurance scheme. Big difference from “free.”
But what so many of you, especially the libs do not understand: yes, of course the fees are paid for by taxes but think about who really pays most of the taxes? They are paid by the upper middle class and the upper class, so to me, it isn't a fair tax. Why should people working hard to earn a decent salary have to support all those who pay almost nothing and have you talked to any doctors who practice in socialized countries? BTW I am not one of those who would get hit with the higher taxes as we are certainly not in the upper middle class or higher salary range. That still doesn't mean I think my kids and grand kids should foot the cost of my care Maybe some of you do think others should support you. Add to this, many of those in the lower income category are the ones who do not take care of themselves and need to see a doctor more often than others

Old 08-22-2019, 06:10 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
News flash; there's already a shortage, especially in rural medicine. PA's and NP's are handling much of the load, to and including staffing ER's.
I don't happen to think this is a bad thing btw I guess I am a bit biased as I have a grand daughter who is a nurse practitioner and very highly thought of from what I have heard

Old 08-22-2019, 07:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,606,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But what so many of you, especially the libs do not understand: yes, of course the fees are paid for by taxes but think about who really pays most of the taxes? They are paid by the upper middle class and the upper class, so to me, it isn't a fair tax. Why should people working hard to earn a decent salary have to support all those who pay almost nothing and have you talked to any doctors who practice in socialized countries? BTW I am not one of those who would get hit with the higher taxes as we are certainly not in the upper middle class or higher salary range. That still doesn't mean I think my kids and grand kids should foot the cost of my care Maybe some of you do think others should support you. Add to this, many of those in the lower income category are the ones who do not take care of themselves and need to see a doctor more often than others
Yes, I actually tutored someone who taught medicine in a country with a national health insurance scheme and have lived/received care in countries with both schemes. The physician had no complaints and clearly would not be an associate professor of medicine if he didn’t like or recommend the career to others. My sister has also paid for services in two national health insurance schemes and was generally happy with them, even though her costs were somewhat high in one scheme- her out-of-pocket costs were low after she paid the premiums. I pad $40 for a dental surgery that would have been over $1000 here... I was quite happy with the care I received.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:35 AM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
... don't have a doctor shortage. They use physician assistants to handle most of the stuff we use PCP (primary care or family doctors) for.
Obviously, you are not living in a rural area. Shortages are a reality of life outside of the major urban centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.