Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,036,655 times

Advertisements

For those who live or travel to non Western nations, have you seen a real significant increase in morbid obesity?

I read and listen to health news and will often see something like “American fast food is trending in XYZ nation leading to increased obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 09:17 PM

63 posts, read 30,923 times
Yes. I watched a short documentary recently in China about fat children. Their time poor parents often gave them foods like packet ramen, fried chicken, burgers and yes American style fast food (just like the children of New York ate from the 1940s to the 80s). Hopefully like the good people of NY they will ditch these "cool, spage age, modern, scientific" foods in favour of good old fashioned century eggs. organic pork, millet and donkey meat. NY children are learning to love oatmeal, liver, real milk and lard just like their counterparts did 150 years ago!!!!

Old 09-22-2019, 09:05 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,713,622 times
Yes I’ve traveled all over the world and I can say for certain that the problem is rising up everywhere, even in nations like Vietnam where they consider that candy is only fit for children. I’m in Chile right now and there are a lot of overweight people here and last month I saw a lot of overweight people in Ecuador, a country with a smaller economy. Junk food is everywhere and the entire world is addicted to sweets. That said, I don’t see the average person in other countries being as big as the average person in the states but I still find myself staring when I see someone with a trim figure.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
Some sort of discipline, restraint and an overall healthy, calorie-appropriate diet, seem to be less and less of a thing for all nations, not just the USA.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
Yes, it was rising in Japan when I lived there 2003-2005. At that point, they had put whole fat milk in children’s lunches to help with osteoporosis and many more people had abandoned traditional Japanese breakfast for western pastries.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:15 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,160,344 times
Here in the Philippines, there is a huge amount of advertising for junk and fattening foods. TV ads for food frequently portray roly-poly children as evidence of how healthy they are. Nearly all prepared foods are heavily laced with sugar, and "Philippine style" spaghetti sauce tastes like dessert.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:59 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
I don't think it is a lack of discipline as much as a change in life style. Our grandparents and great grandparents worked on the farms. They didn't have all the, easy to use appliances we have. Mom stayed at home and did house work, laundry on a scrub board or an older washer, kids walked everywhere. You didn't see or hear of people eating out all the time, or buying prepared meals and until the 1950s how every heard of drive through restaurants. We are simply living in a different world. For that reason we may see, in the future different guidelines for healthy weights compared to what we see and hear today. Of course some of us will never live long enough to see these guidelines changed.

One positive thing, you see more people taking exercise classes, walking or biking on trails and more people joining gyms.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 AM

3,678 posts, read 2,368,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
For those who live or travel to non Western nations, have you seen a real significant increase in morbid obesity?

I read and listen to health news and will often see something like “American fast food is trending in XYZ nation leading to increased obesity.
I live in East Asia.

YES, obesity is rising (fact) as well as diabetes and other ailments related to fast food and processed food.

Also, kids are much more sedentary, playing video games, tinkering with mobile phones and surfing the internet.

The stats are there, but I see it with my own eyes.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:21 AM

7,982 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Some sort of discipline, restraint and an overall healthy, calorie-appropriate diet, seem to be less and less of a thing for all nations, not just the USA.
Food manufacturers have spent billions of dollars figuring out how to make food addictive. And they've succeeded. The muffin someone ate 100 years ago is not the same as the muffin we eat today. Even junk food is more junkier. The Fruit Loops I ate as a kid 40 years ago are not the same as the Fruit Loops today. So before people used to eat a muffin and they were good. Now people have a physical drive to eat more. Just like 200 years ago, people would smoke an occasional pipe. Then they added nicotine, and people started chain smoking. It's a pretty complex issue.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:35 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think it is a lack of discipline as much as a change in life style. Our grandparents and great grandparents worked on the farms. They didn't have all the, easy to use appliances we have. Mom stayed at home and did house work, laundry on a scrub board or an older washer, kids walked everywhere. You didn't see or hear of people eating out all the time, or buying prepared meals and until the 1950s how every heard of drive through restaurants. We are simply living in a different world. For that reason we may see, in the future different guidelines for healthy weights compared to what we see and hear today. Of course some of us will never live long enough to see these guidelines changed.

One positive thing, you see more people taking exercise classes, walking or biking on trails and more people joining gyms.
The USDA food plate is a farce, no less active person needs to be consuming 2,400 calories a day or eating seven servings of grains. Complete idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness