Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:26 PM

63 posts, read 54,015 times

Advertisements

An older model (atleast around 20 years old) BMW cut me off deliberately and then floored the pedal releasing a lot of blue smoke right in front of me, I could smell the car exhaust fumes inside my car even though I had windows closed and A/C on recirculating mode.

I am concerned that my lungs and other organs have been damaged from exposure to his exhaust fumes and his car was burning oil making the smoke blue and smelled more worse than Normal exhaust. Will this exposure cause harm to my health? I’m not sure if his car was a Diesel engine it was a 20 year old bmw car, I think M3 model, I think it was either a sedan or coupe I can’t even remember now because of this horrific event

According to Wikipedia diesel exhaust fumes causes lung and bladder cancer

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-22-2019 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Two threads on same topic merged.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,577 posts, read 57,526,122 times
I think you will survive. (Blue Smoke means it was a very ill Gasser...)

I was weaned on the 'smokestack' of a diesel tractor for 12-16 hrs / day blowing soot in my face for 30+ yrs) while also breathing clouds of dust from the implements. + huge dust storms on the prairie for weeks at a time. (My grandfather lived to age 94 under the same (worse) circumstances).

I also heat 100% with wood and have fought prairie and forest fires where I came home black in soot.
Then there was the 30+ yr career working night shift factory coated in aluminum dust, looking like the 'tin-man'. (no masks / breathing protection) + second hand smoke from parents smoking in cars and house.

Oh... and driving diesel cars and trucks for 50+ yrs.
And lots of flying on Jet A.

Oh.. the 'smudge pots' (Orchard used at night to prevent frost damage.
https://valleygrail.wordpress.com/20...s-and-friends/
And the Mosquito Sprayer that would fog our outdoor concerts while in City Band !

Last week at Bonneville Salt Flats...
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/v16-...ng-bonneville/
(2011 run of same truck)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3-65uf9b8

My days are numbered, and so are yours!

You can go do a stress test / lung capacity review.
Good luck!
Be glad you don't live in a city with a Brown Cloud (Like Denver or Salt Lake).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-21-2019 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 12:08 AM

44,547 posts, read 61,242,694 times
Inhaling harmful smoke can inflame your lungs and airway, causing them to swell and block oxygen. This can lead to acute respiratory distress syndrome and respiratory failure.
I would suggest you contact your doctor and see what he/she has to say. If you're experiencing any symptoms of illness you should go to the emergency hospital or at least be checked out at one of those 24 hr walk-in emergency facilities near you.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Inhaling harmful smoke can inflame your lungs and airway, causing them to swell and block oxygen. This can lead to acute respiratory distress syndrome and respiratory failure.
I would suggest you contact your doctor and see what he/she has to say. If you're experiencing any symptoms of illness you should go to the emergency hospital or at least be checked out at one of those 24 hr walk-in emergency facilities near you.
I don’t have any symptoms

Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 AM

44,547 posts, read 61,242,694 times
Then you probably should not worry until something comes up. But I'd call your doctors office anyway and see what they say. An examination/test now is better than experiencing serious expensive problems down the line.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Then you probably should not worry until something comes up. But I'd call your doctors office anyway and see what they say. An examination/test now is better than experiencing serious expensive problems down the line.
Until what comes up should I start worrying?

What type test/examination would the doctor perform?

Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 AM

61,153 posts, read 85,977,665 times
Call your doctor and ask if you need to be seen.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,172,657 times
Good thing you never got behind my old Montero.
You would've been dead years ago.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,231,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaraa View Post
An older model (atleast around 20 years old) BMW cut me off deliberately and then floored the pedal releasing a lot of blue smoke right in front of me, I could smell the car exhaust fumes inside my car even though I had windows closed and A/C on recirculating mode.

I am concerned that my lungs and other organs have been damaged from exposure to his exhaust fumes and his car was burning oil making the smoke blue and smelled more worse than Normal exhaust. Will this exposure cause harm to my health? I’m not sure if his car was a Diesel engine it was a 20 year old bmw car, I think M3 model, I think it was either a sedan or coupe I can’t even remember now because of this horrific event

According to Wikipedia diesel exhaust fumes causes lung and bladder cancer
Just eat a pasta salad and listen to a motivational tape. It’s the cure for what ails you.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,254,623 times
The chemicals they put in your food are more likely to cause cancer than a brief encounter with some smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.