Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 05:27 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,221,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
I had similar event. Was feeling relatively mild abdominal pain over several days, decided to get it checked to rule out appendicitis, or constipation, or kidney stone ( I had two 10 years before) . Clinic did urine test which showed blood, sent me for a CT scan, which did show a 6mm stone in the kidney near the ureter.

Well, on the way to get the scan, the pain stopped. I still got a Rx for Vicodin just in case.

Later at regular office visit with my PCP, he had me get an ultrasound. No stone was found .

A year later the stone passed on its own, painlessly. I caught it and doc had it tested to be a calcium stone.
...amazing! So a year later you were still using a strainer? Even though you were feeling no pain? There must be something more here...did you just fish it out of the toilet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 06:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 13,485,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...amazing! So a year later you were still using a strainer? Even though you were feeling no pain? There must be something more here...did you just fish it out of the toilet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You passed a 6mm stone painlessly? Because of the drugs?

Well my PCP seems to think there is no stone since it didn't show on ultrasound, and they were looking for it. Maybe what was seen on the CT scan last year was something else? Will have to consult urologist again.
1. Exactly. It sort of stuck to the side of the bowl. No strainer. It was a surprise.

2. Yes, I did "feel" it passing, and at first wondered what was happening. But it came out easily with no pain as such. And no, no drugs, unless 81mg aspirin counts And doc did confirm it was a calcium stone.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:38 PM

4,950 posts, read 7,311,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
1. Exactly. It sort of stuck to the side of the bowl. No strainer. It was a surprise.

2. Yes, I did "feel" it passing, and at first wondered what was happening. But it came out easily with no pain as such. And no, no drugs, unless 81mg aspirin counts And doc did confirm it was a calcium stone.
Maybe your ureter was reamed out and enlarged by your previous stones, making passage easier.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 13,485,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Maybe your ureter was reamed out and enlarged by your previous stones, making passage easier.
Is that possible ?
I did have 1st stone, in the ureter, removed by the ureteroscopic (aka RotoRooter) method.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...s_ureteroscopy

2nd, in the kidney, was by shock wave lithotripsy

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...ones_shockwave

3rd passed on its own a year later.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:25 PM

22,579 posts, read 24,400,027 times
Well, if you are catching fragments with your strainer..............have one analyzed.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,038,703 times
I had them twice , both times put me on the floor vomiting from the pain, take a sip of water, throw it up 30 seconds later.
The first was induced to pass by giving me fluids and some pain killer .

The second instance they went in and snagged it. ($60K). Never paid .

Both times excruciating pain, like someone twisting a knife in your side.

I had stones a third time but they were bladder stones, caused by a bladder tumor, they removed the whole bladder.
Also have a tumor on my kidney which needs removing this spring.
Had a heart attack last yr too, the kidney stones hurt more. a LOT more.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 PM

18,933 posts, read 43,293,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The drug of choice for kidney stones is Toradol, a strong NSAID that actually works better than the opioids, and doesn't make you fuzzy.

I've had three stones pass, and have 2 more in the left kidney and one in the right kidney. None of them are over 5mm, so I'll just wait for them to do their thing.
^This is an old post, but I got a laugh from it. I've passed stone fragments, and there's no way Toradol would even touch that amount of pain.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 PM

18,933 posts, read 43,293,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I had them twice , both times put me on the floor vomiting from the pain, take a sip of water, throw it up 30 seconds later.
The first was induced to pass by giving me fluids and some pain killer .

The second instance they went in and snagged it. ($60K). Never paid .

Both times excruciating pain, like someone twisting a knife in your side.

I had stones a third time but they were bladder stones, caused by a bladder tumor, they removed the whole bladder.
Also have a tumor on my kidney which needs removing this spring.
Had a heart attack last yr too, the kidney stones hurt more. a LOT more.
I had lithotripsy to break up a 7mm stone. Normally they put in ureter stents, and they did, but unfortunately when they removed my catheter they accidentally pulled out my stents. The pain I experienced later that day was the worst I have ever felt in my life. I ended up back in the ER and they had to give me Dilaudid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness