Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:31 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh many doctors say we're OK when our levels come in at the low ends of the range. I know this issue. Question docs and their numbers/ranges. Doctors miss so much, I've been that route for a lot of years in my life.
Hang on...you know YOUR potassium, magnesium and other levels (because you just volunteered them) which implies someone tested them. Those imply numbers...those things you say you don't use/believe in? You say you "know" this issue that you do not have?

Hope they figure this out OP...sounds like they are taking action. As others suggested, if he's fainting when changing posture does sound BP related. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:33 PM

924 posts, read 1,663,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
He wore a heart monitor for a month and they found no issues. He has early stages of dementia but that shouldn’t cause him to black out. Any other thoughts on what it can be?
Is he forgetting that he already took his medication? Perhaps another family member should be in charge of that.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Is he forgetting that he already took his medication? Perhaps another family member should be in charge of that.
Good point!

Old 08-28-2019, 01:42 PM

48,252 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Could be on wrong blood pressure med, time to adjust

Getting light headed and starting to black out was how I knew my BP meds had to be adjusted, and when it continued, the meds were stopped all together.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2019, 01:51 PM

741 posts, read 1,315,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We don't know how long the man has been taking BP meds.
How long doesn't matter, but we do know it's been for too long.

Quote:
And none of us know for sure what works and what isn't, but to tell someone to get off BP meds is wrong.
We do know.
We know that medical treatments and procedures are the #1 cause of death in the United States.
Telling people to stop doing what's killing them, and to do what is healthy to live longer lives, is the right thing to do.

Quote:
It's a lifelong drug for many!!! Whether they need it or not.
That's quite unfortunate, and a major source of the problem right there.

If the BP drug that you're taking is a diuretic - which is likely in the case of the OP - that reduces your blood pressure by removing water from your body and lowering your blood volume, a very dangerous thing to do and which would cause you to pass out!

At a given heart rate, it also reduces your cardiac output. Thus your heart rate would have to increase to reach the same cardiac output as before, which puts more stress on your heart.

I simply find it incredulous that people, knowing these things, would continue taking dangerous medications and going to doctors who don't care what happens to you. Of course, they didn't tell you about this did they.

Last edited by jlvs2run; 08-28-2019 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hang on...you know YOUR potassium, magnesium and other levels (because you just volunteered them) which implies someone tested them. Those imply numbers...those things you say you don't use/believe in? You say you "know" this issue that you do not have?

Hope they figure this out OP...sounds like they are taking action. As others suggested, if he's fainting when changing posture does sound BP related. Good luck!
My doc checks all the levels every year. And yes I've done a lot of reading on the potassium and have a friend who also looks at the potassium issue. As I said I like to see my numbers in higher end of range. Not low end.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
How long doesn't matter, but we do know it's been for too long.

We do know.
We know that medical treatments and procedures are the #1 cause of death in the United States.
Telling people to stop doing what's killing them, and to do what is healthy to live longer lives, is the right thing to do.

That's quite unfortunate, and a major source of the problem right there.
I agree drug interactions are killing people but many do better on BP meds.

And YOU don't know what the problem is.

And if people controlled what is causing BP raises, is it the salts or sugars or both and learned to handle their stress with say daily meditation, then drugs MAY not be needed. But that's not going to happen.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:34 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
My dad had these symptoms (no passing out but dizziness) and his carotid artery was almost 100% blocked. They would need to check his carotids to see.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:45 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,885,628 times
I have been fighting BP issue's since August 2016 when after move and new cardiologist changed my meds from what was o'k from open heart triple bypass in 11/2010.
I fought with him but gave in.His idea's were complete failure and misery.My primary care had me o'k till 11/2017 when for unknown reason BP jumped to 188/70-213/75.
Since that time up and down and now on metoprolol 50mg and 40mg lisinnprilol at 6pm and diuretic,hydrochride did no good.
Now new diuretic furosemide 40mg morning,7am, and 20mg at 7pm,tried 20mg at 5,my BP in morning 150-175,so went to 7pm,ok.Now lightheaded and leg aches,short of breath etc. with low BP,at times 96/43 and mostly in 105-116/57.
Will see primary care 9/4 do not know what to say or do.I have complained many times.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:46 PM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
FWIW, the testing and bloodwork they've already done would have spotted something as simple as low potassium and "salt".
And if the potassium was that low, they'd likely have seen changes in the results of that month long cardiac monitor, from hypokalemia- or the OP's dad might well have had serious symptoms that took him to the ER with serious cardiac arrhythmias from the hypokalemia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness