Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 01:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,192,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just about everyone in my parent's generation lived into 80's and 90's..one uncle died of Emphysema due to cancer sticks he picked up during the war and then saw the MD's smoking these sticks. He was 69.

So no way can I buy into your first sentence BD. I don't know about your good ole days comment about people not living past 60.
Using NEVER is absurd and yet you believe that "just about everyone in your parent's generation lived into their 80's and 90s'"

Just think about the absurdity of that statement for one moment.....

What are you basing your sample size on to determine that "Just about everyone lived into their 80's and 90's"

2 people??

10 people??

And you are extrapolating that to describe an entire generation??

A statement that is patently false by the way and easily disproven, NO generation has EVER (and yes using ever here is appropriate) seen the majority of its population reach the ages of 80-90

I can understand now why you didn't understand the first sentence of my post, the concept of life expectancy is clearly not one you grasp.....

Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
And the one major thing I grasp so much is that those who work for the medicine world are so pro pro pro what the MD's want us to do.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:35 PM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
Quote:
And the one major thing I grasp so much is that those who work for the medicine world are so pro pro pro what the MD's want us to do.
Well of course. It has been studied and they are scientifically backed recommendations.

Are they always right? No, but it is still those scientists that come out and say, "we have studied this more, and here are our current recommendations." I'll go with that as opposed to my sister's aunt's cousin thinks differently.

I'm fine with eat healthy, get lots of exercise, and get your health checked on a regular basis.

Yes, I want to know as soon as possible if something may be wrong, that's the best time to fix it. I want to live a long and healthy life if possible.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-31-2019, 01:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,657,233 times
Quote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ov9k3...Nyp2/giphy.gif

Old 08-31-2019, 01:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,607,399 times
Quote:
Boy isn't this the truth, talking to a friend last week I've known a lifetime and we were talking about and she has no for sure idea of what both her parents died of in their late 80's....Today, people think they need to know every nook and cranny of their bodies and supposedly fix whatever with all the great expensive insurance that makes the ones at the top richer.. My mom and all the ladies in her life never had mams and if they died with cancers in their breasts, they were never bothered.
It's slick patriarchal marketing to get everyone frothed into fear by insisting "screening tests" are mandatory, like doctors make all the rules for life. The irony is that doctors have the shortest life spans of almost any profession (don't know exactly where they fall on the list, but it is easily researchable. If memory serves (and it may not), I think their average lifespan is 56 - so don't tell ME how best to live.

Hospitals are FILTHY - and are in the top three (again, haven't researched recently, but recall this) of things that actually KILL you!

I worked in a hospital and they had an entire department that was devoted to TRYING to get rid of staph.

And they don't TRY very hard - the surfaces are absolutely disgusting - people come into the room and DO NOT WASH THEIR HANDS (even though they KNOW that spreads disease).

Think of all of the people hand-wringing, worried that they didn't get this test or that procedure - it is absolutely RIDICULOUS!

The instruments they use are not guaranteed to be clean. Think about that!

Old 08-31-2019, 01:43 PM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
Nobody is hand wringing or lathered up by fear.

No need to sensationalize the state of mind of someone who gets a yearly pap smear.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-31-2019, 01:47 PM

13,267 posts, read 8,368,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's slick patriarchal marketing to get everyone frothed into fear by insisting "screening tests" are mandatory, like doctors make all the rules for life. The irony is that doctors have the shortest life spans of almost any profession (don't know exactly where they fall on the list, but it is easily researchable. If memory serves (and it may not), I think their average lifespan is 56 - so don't tell ME how best to live.

Hospitals are FILTHY - and are in the top three (again, haven't researched recently, but recall this) of things that actually KILL you!

I worked in a hospital and they had an entire department that was devoted to TRYING to get rid of staph.

And they don't TRY very hard - the surfaces are absolutely disgusting - people come into the room and DO NOT WASH THEIR HANDS (even though they KNOW that spreads disease).

Think of all of the people hand-wringing, worried that they didn't get this test or that procedure - it is absolutely RIDICULOUS!

The instruments they use are not guaranteed to be clean. Think about that!
Untrue but maybe you can get tested for spreading fallicies.?

Board of health controls and inspects hospitals.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:34 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I was also surprised to hear that my mom--almost 70--was tested by using Cologuard instead of the more invasive method. I know my dad was only offered the colonoscopy when he was tested in his 60's, but the doc just allowed my mom to be tested with Cologuard. That's reassuring for me, at least.
Their statistical risk factors might have been different. After all, they are not related genetically and their family histories could be different too. Also, available test options keep changing and becoming more accurate and accepted.

Because of my medical history and that of one parent, my PCP set up periodic colonoscopies for me. Most recently the Cologuard test was offered instead. Remember, this was for someone with the same medical and family history, but added to that were normal results on those previous tests. Fine with me!

Old 08-31-2019, 02:49 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I guess I have kind of hybrid philosophy so to speak. I am absolutely committed to preventative health care measures (nutrition, sups/herbs/naturals, fitness, etc.) I also strongly prefer natural treatments before anything else and avoid invasive testing whenever possible.

Having said this, I have a very good relationship with my current GP and she both understands and respects my values. We work together to deal with whatever comes and I've been fortunate in that I'm still, basically, healthy at 67.
This approach makes such good sense. Its not about all or nothing, ignorance over paranoia, prevention versus passive victim. Its about what's reasonable for an individual who happens to be the sum of a known history, heredity, family history, chronological age, etc. The result of a two way discussion. Your PCP is supposed to be a partner, not an opponent. What is acceptable to YOU should be the result of an informed mutual agreement. If my PCP tells me about some available screening I haven't been aware of or might be interested in, we'll discuss it and decide whether there might be any benefit. The answer isn't automatically yes just because she's the PCP and I'm some impressionable boob.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:08 PM

14,871 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
Just about everyone in my parent's generation lived into 80's and 90's..one uncle died of Emphysema due to cancer sticks he picked up during the war and then saw the MD's smoking these sticks. He was 69.

So no way can I buy into your first sentence BD. I don't know about your good ole days comment about people not living past 60.

Many of my predecessors lived into their early 60's, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.