Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 03:18 PM

1,153 posts, read 563,410 times

Advertisements

I don't anyone who has had a colonoscopy as part of their screening tests? I am wondering if that is an American thing.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:26 PM

14,871 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nobody is hand wringing or lathered up by fear.

No need to sensationalize the state of mind of someone who gets a yearly pap smear.
Amen! And another fact to point out is that screening tests are recommended for specific populations, are not mandatory so those who choose not to have any of them, or who pick and choose which tests to have, are perfectly free to do so.

As are we all. What I can't understand is the apparent need on the part of those who eschew the services of the medical establishment in favor of "being their own doctor" to try so hard to discredit both the medical establishment and those who choose to use it.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:28 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I don't anyone who has had a colonoscopy as part of their screening tests? I am wondering if that is an American thing.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. We don't know what your region's reported incidences/patterns of colon cancer are. We also don't know how that has affected the resulting health guidelines for screening. I'm sure you could find out.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:30 PM

14,871 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
I've known quite a few, including me, my husband, other family members, friends, coworkers.. But there are other colon cancer screening options, in particular the Cologuard test that is becoming quite popular. Perhaps others are using those other screening tests.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:48 PM

7,216 posts, read 4,494,587 times
I am not of a certain age but I am not getting mammography. I believe it is very likely the cause of breast cancer and first do no harm applies. Instead I make doubly sure I have sufficient Vitamin D and I do go for a thermography. I know that is not FDA approved, however, I feel it will still give me a heads up. My mother never had a mammogram until she was 70. No BC.

I am due for a colonoscopy soon and I think I might go for the first one just to make sure everything is clear, but then not go back for a while. I am concerned about perforation. So many people I know go.. and then like 4 months later have some weird issue with the gut and the doctors always come up with some lame excuses.. and never connect it to the colonoscopy. I suspect side effects from the exam are knowingly underreported. Keeping everyone in the dark.

Again, my plan is making sure I have a lot of Vitamin D and using the cologuard stool blood test.

For my reproductive symptom health I do get paps from time to time, but I am not at all at risk, and on occasion I fake a symptom to get a transvaginal ultrasound, which shows most problems up.

I do get blood tests from time to time but I ignore stupidity that my doctor throws at me. I am not getting on statins because my cholesterol is high when literally nothing else is high.

I have noticed my doctor giving me less and less blood tests. Guess they only want to give tests that are cash cows for them.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,315,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Pap smears do not cause miscarriages.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/can-a...rriage-2371537
This is irrelevant information because it doesn't cite any medical studies.

And of course they're going to say it doesn't cause miscarriage. Doctors and most of the health profession will say it doesn't cause miscarriage but they are just giving a medical opinion; the fact is, they have no studies to back up that opinion.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:08 PM

689 posts, read 968,446 times
Why would anyone undergo a pap smear during pregnancy? I certainly never did.

Maybe this issue relates to women who do not know they're pregnant at the time of the test? Either way, this does not seem like a good idea to me unless someone has suddenly developed something serious that requires it...

Old 08-31-2019, 04:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
So colonoscopy is not big in your country? It just became big here in U.S. maybe 20-30 yrs ago and I've never had one and no plans to.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,315,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Why would anyone undergo a pap smear during pregnancy? I certainly never did.

Maybe this issue relates to women who do not know they're pregnant at the time of the test? Either way, this does not seem like a good idea to me unless someone has suddenly developed something serious that requires it...
My OB recommended one when I was pregnant, I refused, because I had one that was still current and I don't have HPV. And if by some chance I did have cervical cancer, I'd have to wait to get treated for it later after the baby was born. The fact is, doctors make money off these routine tests.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:27 PM

689 posts, read 968,446 times
Yikes! When I was pregnant, both times they did quick pelvic exams to check the cervix. No paps or other stuff other than urine tests and blood work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.