Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 02:22 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
To clarify, it is usually recommended to still have pap smears if you had a partial hysterectomy (only the uterus removed).
I have to say that depends pretty much on who is doing the recommendations. Almost every women I know stopped having them, with their doctors approval after early 60s. If your insurance will cover them and you feel better nothing wrong with having them, but colonoscopies can actually carry a certain amount of danger with them after 75.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 4,349,461 times
Some doctors won’t do colonoscopies after age 70 because your lining thins and there is more risk of infection. People often die if their colon is perforated due to infection.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:00 PM

14,832 posts, read 11,975,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Yes!

My friend had a heart valve replaced and ended up with a heart infections resulting in a lengthy hospital stay and still on many meds after several years. I did a little research and found that it of those who do get a heart infection from the valve replacement, some do not survive. Another friend had a lung biopsy which was only supposed to be a 6 hour procedure but instead spent 6 days in the hospital because they damaged her lung.

I wish the medical community would inform patients of all the risks before invading us. As a prior posters said, we should work together for better outcomes, not for profits, and make choices that are right for our own situations.
They do inform patients of the potential risks of medical procedures before they are done. Did you ever hear of consent forms that patients sign prior to procedures or surgery? Of course it's up to the patient to actually read these forms before signing them to get that information.

And I can attest that before the last two surgeries I had ( not that I have had that many), the doctor doing the surgery went over the risks of the surgery, and answered questions I had during the pre- op office visit.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,584,980 times
When one does surgery or tests or whatever in the medical world, it's always been "buyer's risk, buyer beware"...

Old 09-02-2019, 03:43 PM

10,183 posts, read 6,239,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My youngest child is now 14, so protocol may have changed, but when I had my babies, the standard was ONE ultrasound at 19-20 weeks. Not multiple routine ultrasounds, unless there is reason to think something is wrong.

I did have one extra ultrasound early on in my second pregnancy when I experienced some cramping and pain on one side. They wanted to rule out an ectopic pregnancy; fortunately it was just a cyst.
Mine are are 35 and 40. As I said, the ONLY reason I had a sonogram in between them was when my OB suspected an ectopic. My grandsons are 5, 3, and 6 months. It was routine for my daughter and DIL to have a sonogram every few weeks/months without suspecting any complications, which they did not have. All were normal births.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:03 PM

5,383 posts, read 3,405,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Most serious problems found by testing are in people already in their twilight years.
What's the definition of twilight year?

Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM

7,206 posts, read 4,478,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Some doctors won’t do colonoscopies after age 70 because your lining thins and there is more risk of infection. People often die if their colon is perforated due to infection.
This happened to my aunt. At the age of 78 she had one and 2 months later she had an appendicitis... they said. Eventually we got out of the gastro that it was a small perforation that was leaking. She had to have a follow up surgery and basically cut out that section.

Good to know though that there is a difference after 70

Old 09-02-2019, 04:49 PM

17,384 posts, read 13,103,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Denial doesn't make it so.

You are so right, denial is a big river in Egypt!

I know 2 young people in their 40s, just starting to make names for themselves in their areas of business, who died of colon cancer.

Their older family members, 50s and 60s, went in for colonoscopy based upon their sibling/child, diagnosed with early colon cancer and are doing well today.

Another friend from our water aerobics class, probably 75, just diagnosed with breast cancer from her mammogram (that her PCP said she no longer needed)

Many of my customers saved by scans.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:51 PM

17,384 posts, read 13,103,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
All it took was one injection in a clinic and I was laid out for months and still dealing with the complications from a needle and I had the injections before but all it took was the wrong one and a horrible staph infection hit me.

That happens when antiseptic protocols are not followed. You are the exception, rather than the rule
And, if I remember correctly (and I'll bet that I did), in one of your posts you said that your doctor no longer practiced because of many instances of infection

I'm sorry, you were just unlucky. Don't you think that it's time to get over it and quit posting about it????

Old 09-02-2019, 05:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,584,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That happens when antiseptic protocols are not followed. You are the exception, rather than the rule
And, if I remember correctly (and I'll bet that I did), in one of your posts you said that your doctor no longer practiced because of many instances of infection

I'm sorry, you were just unlucky. Don't you think that it's time to get over it and quit posting about it????
No you are not correct he is very much still practicing and is a D.O. but I've not done anymore injections. And I have no clue about how many infections from injections people end up with, probably plenty. I had good success from a few starting over 10 yrs ago. Now my knee is so improving by other means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness